Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was affected by some kind of bacteria of mosquito bite i am not sure for 15 day's i feed her with my hand today the lower lips fallen down.
My question is can pegion beak reborn???????????
HELP HELP HELP PLEASE
148022547_3615507921829755_113029063965653670_n.jpg 148022547_3615507921829755_113029063965653670_n.jpg

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Oh the poor thing. Did she had pox? I can't answer your question about regrowing the beak. The only advice I can give is to continue handfeeding her. It's easier if you feed defrosted green peas. Get the frozen type from a supermarket, defrost in lukewarm water and feed her about 40 to 50 peas 3 times a day.

You can also put her seeds in a deep dish to make things easier for her. I'm sure over time she will be able to eat by herself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ou can also put her seeds in a deep dish to make things easier for her. I'm sure over time she will be able to eat by herself.
Oh the poor thing. Did she had pox? I can't answer your question about regrowing the beak. The only advice I can give is to continue handfeeding her. It's easier if you feed defrosted green peas. Get the frozen type from a supermarket, defrost in lukewarm water and feed her about 40 to 50 peas 3 times a day.

You can also put her seeds in a deep dish to make things easier for her. I'm sure over time she will be able to eat by herself.
But i want to know

can u ask anyone is beak regrow

·
Registered
367 Posts
I haven’t got personal experience with a broken/amputated beaks but as my rescue pigeon had beak issues when she was little I’ve done a lot of research. Everything I’ve read on this site and other pigeon forums tells me that a beak like your pigeons will not grow back, although the keratin should harden over time. Is this pigeon yours? If not, can you find a place this pigeon can live forever, in a aviary or perhaps with a family? Can the pigeon eat and drink independently or does it try?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven’t got personal experience with a broken/amputated beaks but as my rescue pigeon had beak issues when she was little I’ve done a lot of research. Everything I’ve read on this site and other pigeon forums tells me that a beak like your pigeons will not grow back, although the keratin should harden over time. Is this pigeon yours? If not, can you find a place this pigeon can live forever, in a aviary or perhaps with a family? Can the pigeon eat and drink independently or does it try?
She try but she cant eat or drinks i am giving her handfeed

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Continue with the handfeeding and be patient. The wound is probably still hurting. Give her time to heal. Give her 2 weeks or so and then starts encouraging her to eat by herself.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Have you checked inside her beak for yellow growths? She might have some wet pox inside her beak as well. She can also have canker. Pox growths are towards the front of the beak and canker towards the back. Pox can't be treated, but canker can with metronidazole. You will need to handfeed until she is healthy and the beak is clear. She won't be interested in eating by herself until 100 % healthy.

Pigeons adapt. Put her on your lap with a deep jar of seed in front of her. Play with the seed by using your fingers. She will need to stick her whole beak inside the jar to learn how to eat again. Also try small seeds rather than large seeds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
People more knowledgeable and experienced than me have already replied. But I just want to say something about she being able to eat herself.

I've just had an exactly similar case, where the lower beak of the pigeon got broken. I'm posting a video I took: VID-20210210-WA0004.mp4. He couldn't eat anything for like a couple days or so, and I handfed him just today morning. However, today evening, I saw him eating wheat grains from my feeder. I think you must take note of two things here.

1 - He can eat wheat grains but haven't been able to eat larger, rounder seeds like yellow roasted chickpeas yet (and I don't know if he will be able to in the future), which he used to love eating. I do think he would be able to eat rice as well, since it's pretty much the same as wheat grains if not easier to eat.

2 - He can eat ONLY from my feeder which is deep where he can stick his broken beak in. I'm attaching a couple pictures of the feeder as well that he ate from.

If possible, I'll record a video of him eating tomorrow and post it here. But to be honest, I was incredibly and super pleasantly surprised to see him eating. He obviously can't eat like the other birds, but it did look like he was being able to eat fairly well for his condition. I was in a hurry so couldn't observe him more closely, but I'll do that tomorrow and update here.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
You can also try soft foods, like chopped up defrosted green peas and cooked oats mixed with some small seeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
People more knowledgeable and experienced than me have already replied. But I just want to say something about she being able to eat herself.

I've just had an exactly similar case, where the lower beak of the pigeon got broken. I'm posting a video I took: VID-20210210-WA0004.mp4. He couldn't eat anything for like a couple days or so, and I handfed him just today morning. However, today evening, I saw him eating wheat grains from my feeder. I think you must take note of two things here.

1 - He can eat wheat grains but haven't been able to eat larger, rounder seeds like yellow roasted chickpeas yet (and I don't know if he will be able to in the future), which he used to love eating. I do think he would be able to eat rice as well, since it's pretty much the same as wheat grains if not easier to eat.

2 - He can eat ONLY from my feeder which is deep where he can stick his broken beak in. I'm attaching a couple pictures of the feeder as well that he ate from.

If possible, I'll record a video of him eating tomorrow and post it here. But to be honest, I was incredibly and super pleasantly surprised to see him eating. He obviously can't eat like the other birds, but it did look like he was being able to eat fairly well for his condition. I was in a hurry so couldn't observe him more closely, but I'll do that tomorrow and update here.
Thanx For Your Advise

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just thought I'd share that the pigeon who got his lower beak broken and visits me daily is eating every day from the feeder. I took a video so that I can confirm he's indeed eating fine with Marina and thought I should share it here so that it gives you hope and maybe some idea too to help her start eating by herself soon.

Here you can see this "half-beak" pigeon eating:
Video from Pigeoner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just thought I'd share that the pigeon who got his lower beak broken and visits me daily is eating every day from the feeder. I took a video so that I can confirm he's indeed eating fine with Marina and thought I should share it here so that it gives you hope and maybe some idea too to help her start eating by herself soon.

Here you can see this "half-beak" pigeon eating:
Video from Pigeoner
Can i get a picture of his beak please

1 - 14 of 14 Posts