Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help me??? I noticed that our fancy pigeon looked like he had an irritated beak (only on one side) this past Tuesday. My husband thought I was imagining things, but today I went out to change his water and I saw that the irritated side has a thick bloody scab that has grown out of his beak. The bloody scab is huge and hangs off the side of the beak. Has anyone ever seen this? By the way, we only have one pigeon and he has his own open air aviary.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Can someone please help me??? I noticed that our fancy pigeon looked like he had an irritated beak (only on one side) this past Tuesday. My husband thought I was imagining things, but today I went out to change his water and I saw that the irritated side has a thick bloody scab that has grown out of his beak. The bloody scab is huge and hangs off the side of the beak. Has anyone ever seen this? By the way, we only have one pigeon and he has his own open air aviary.
Can you post a picture? How old is the bird?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Oh boy........I don't know. I was thinking canker or pox maybe, but can't really tell from that picture.
You said the bird is 3 to 4 years old. Have YOU had the bird that long? Where did it come from?
Just trying to get an idea of what you MIGHT be dealing with.........can he eat ok?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, we've had him since birth. Long story short: last house we bought came with approximately 4 fancy pigeons (previous owners were elderly and didn't want to move them). Over the course of time, with different house sitters, the coop would not be shut correctly and we lost all of them except the present pigeon I'm concerned about. He's been with us since we sold that house and moved to a new city. He's part of the family and has even won over our 3 small dogs :) They love to sit out by the pool and hear him coo from his pen.

Not sure if he can eat, so I'm going to sit outside and watch what he does.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Yes, we've had him since birth. Long story short: last house we bought came with approximately 4 fancy pigeons (previous owners were elderly and didn't want to move them). Over the course of time, with different house sitters, the coop would not be shut correctly and we lost all of them except the present pigeon I'm concerned about. He's been with us since we sold that house and moved to a new city. He's part of the family and has even won over our 3 small dogs :) They love to sit out by the pool and hear him coo from his pen.

Not sure if he can eat, so I'm going to sit outside and watch what he does.
OK. Let us know........hopefully someone will come along with some ideas. If you can get a better picture, that would help. Also, check to see if there's anything INSIDE the mouth or throat........

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
It really is hard to see what might be going on.
Any chance you could get another photo but just a bit further back or perhaps reduce the size of the photo you posted and maybe darken it just a little?

Do you have access to a vet?

Cindy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay, I took the pigeon and used qtips dipped in water to clean his beak...he was very cooperative. Looks like it might be something he threw up and is attached to the inside of cheek (can see soft tissue attached to the scab). His beak is irritated b/c he is trying to scratch it off. Not sure if I should attempt to remove the scabby growth by using water to soften it until it falls off ???

As soon as I put him back in his coop, he began opening his beak and shaking his head, which is how I saw that it is attached to the inside of his cheek. He really wants it off - any suggestions ?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Okay, I took the pigeon and used qtips dipped in water to clean his beak...he was very cooperative.

* Looks like it might be something he threw up and is attached to the inside of cheek (can see soft tissue attached to the scab). His beak is irritated b/c he is trying to scratch it off. Not sure if I should attempt to remove the scabby growth by using water to soften it until it falls off ???

As soon as I put him back in his coop, he began opening his beak and shaking his head, which is how I saw that it is attached to the inside of his cheek.

** He really wants it off - any suggestions ?
* It's possible this bird has canker. He could have 'shaken' one of the nodules off and caused a bleed.

Can you check the inside of his mouth for any yellow 'cottage cheese' looking matter?

** I would suggest that you NOT pull anything off.

Cindy

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Yea, I'm thinking Canker too. You said you moved. How long ago was that? Canker is something that can flare up under stress..........this might be what's going on.
A bad case of Canker will kill.............so you need to do something ASAP.....either a vet (which is recommended) or tell us where you are and see if any of our members are close by with the meds that you need.

How about his eating?

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
It could be both canker and pox. Poor bird. He looks just miserable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Moved 3 years ago.

1) Our pigeon has lived with us in Midland, TX for the past 3 years (we moved 3 years ago).

2) Checked in his beak and do not see any cottage-cheese type bacteria.

3) Looked at the scab closer and found that it is attached by a sliver of tissue to the tip of his tonge. The pigeon has managed to open his beak wide enough to let the scab hang outside of his beak, all the while his tongue is twisted over to allow him to do that.

Looked at his feet and eyes and do not find any signs of white/yellow spots/cottage cheese looking stuff at all. He seems pretty normal, other than having this thing on his tongue.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
UMMMM.......so you're saying that basically.......if the bird would stick out his tongue........this whatever it is would be hanging off of the end of it??
I'm having a hard time with a mental picture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Believe me, I am having a difficult time with it too... Basically, yes, the glob is hanging by a sliver of soft tissue on the edge/tip of his tongue. My husband seems to think perhaps he hurt his tongue (maybe bit it)?? This is the first time I've ever handled the pigeon as I was unsure about him biting me, but this blog and website has helped me understand how gentle they are. When my husband gets home, we will both take a look at it again (husband is a physician, maybe he can see something I can't).

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Believe me, I am having a difficult time with it too... Basically, yes, the glob is hanging by a sliver of soft tissue on the edge/tip of his tongue. My husband seems to think perhaps he hurt his tongue (maybe bit it)?? This is the first time I've ever handled the pigeon as I was unsure about him biting me, but this blog and website has helped me understand how gentle they are. When my husband gets home, we will both take a look at it again (husband is a physician, maybe he can see something I can't).
THAT'S good to know.............
So, I would just hang tight till hubby gets home and see what he thinks. I can't imagine the bird biting it's tongue to that extent, but...............:confused: SOMETHING happened.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you to all of you who took the time out of your day to help me figure out what was ailing our pigeon. After my husband came home from work, we took a look at the growth attached to our pigeons tongue, and my husband felt that it was hanging on a small enough extension of tissue that we could twist it to sever any circulation going to it before attempting to remove it. Basically, my husband opened up his medical bag and snipped the growth off in a split second - the pigeon didn't flinch and because we twisted the growth there was no bleeding.

My husband said the growth looked like a cyst - in humans it's called a hypoglossal cyst and basically it is twisted until all circulation is tied off. Then, it is snipped.

Our pigeon was back to pruning himself within 1 minute. After 5 minutes, there still wasn't any blood and the pigeon was doing some serious pruning - poor thing probably hadn't been able to do it in a couple of days. After 30 minutes, our pigeon was eating and visiting with sparrows who were coming back to visit again :) All in all, the surgery was fast, easy, blood-free and stress-free for our beautiful pigeon. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you all for your concern in our time of need. I'm glad I found this website and I hope to be able to help you as much as you helped me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.