Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i noticed today that my old German owl hen was not looking to good,so i picked her up and looked her over and i checked her vent area,i thought i saw something looked like a worm so i pulled it and out came this long white thingy about 9-10 inches long,but I'm not sure if it was a worm because, it wasn't moving it was white.yuck! i treated her and the flock of 4 with something i purchased from new England pigeon its drops earlier this spring, i brought her in the house and put her in a cage with a heating pad on low and a blanket covering it,should i start her on antibiotics,i have terramycin for drinking water ,should i worm her again?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Sounds like a round worm. What was it exactly you treated them with? Was this right after you pulled the worm out?...or was the treatment last Spring?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Agree, could be mature roundworm/nematode (Ascaridia columbae).

Most of the mectin/bendazole/misole drugs such as Ivermectin(Ivomec), Levamisole(lavasol/tramisol) and Fenbendazole(Panacur) will work, treat two weeks apart. Don't see reason for antibiotics unless you suspect a bacterial infection.​

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is that why shes not feeling well...the stuff is called

DAC ENDECTO For the prevention of pigeon flies, lice, mites and worms. Apply 2 drops to the bare skin of the neck. 10 ml bottle i wormed them, spring 2009,look as if i will have to worm them all again tomorrow.i have panacur powder,will i have to mix the correct dose and syringe feed it to all of them????

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
teebo...use the dac endecto now and in 10-14 days, but not the panacur as it can be toxic to Pigeons and some of our members have lost pigeons because of it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just went online an ordered Ivomec pour on,its time to worm my chickens so i may also do the rest of the pigeons all at once.

·
Registered
95 Posts

is that why shes not feeling well...
i just went online an ordered Ivomec pour on,its time to worm my chickens so i may also do the rest of the pigeons all at once.
Yes, Since you saw the worm then its in its mature/adult stage.. which will show general sickness. Ivomec, Levasole & Pancur can be toxic if 'overdosed' or mixed with other dewormers.

I think endecto is 'Abamectin' (ivomec cousin) which should work against roundworms although resistance to it is growing..​

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
teebo...use the dac endecto now and in 10-14 days, but not the panacur as it can be toxic to Pigeons and some of our members have lost pigeons because of it.
This is most important part to get rid of worms.

Ivermectin is not so efficient against round worms, Praziquantel based medicines are better.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i wont be using the ivomec on her,just the Chickie's.i will be using the endecto on the pigeons.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually i looked at the bottle of Endecto and it says its ivermectin,her poo is very watery and white,what does that mean?

·
Registered
95 Posts

It means heavy or chronic infestations. I found that you also need to treat after 21 days (it depends on the medicine used). So as i said before you want to treat two weeks a part but add another after the third week. Sometimes you need to switch to another medicine if you don't get good results.

After treatment, not a bad idea to give garlic (smash it then blend with water and syringe feed) don't give too much though or it will be harmful to the bird, and give lots of vitamins/food.

Roundworms: ... larvae will hatch from the eggs in the intestine, where they stay for some time. the exact length of time is unknown, but believed to be about 15 days until the worms develop into their adult form.

The worms take a large proportion of nutrients from the pigeon and produce toxins that prevent normal digestion. The food does not stay in the intestine long enough to be digested, and this results in diarrhea.

In seriouse or protracted infestations, the pigeon will lose weight, have diarrhea, molt badly (failing to cast down feathers, and quickly fatigue).

Should worms about 2 inches long be seen in droppings, you can be sure that the bird has a roundworm infestation, but in most cases the worms are not seen.

An infested bird is treated with a vermicide, and since not all larvae are affected by the various treatment, a further treatment is required about 21 days later.

To control, we must give the bird a medicine to destroy the parasite. There is a danger that the medicine itself will be absorbed by the bird, thus making it sick; there is also a risk that the normal intestinal flora will be harmed. Fortunately, there are medicines for wormes and for coccidia that are quite safe." Source : Pigeons, by Matthew M. Vriends, p. 53

1 - 12 of 12 Posts