Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the concept of wooden eggs but I am not familiar with the actual application.
I have 6 nest boxes and 2 breeding pairs.
Both pairs just had squeakers that are days away from flying. The squeakers are still sleeping in their original nest bowls.
One of my hens moved into a lower nest box, lined the corner with straw and is now tending two new eggs.
Once this pair has hatched I want to stop breeding.
Do I leave nest bowls and wooden eggs in every nest box or just a pair of wooden eggs in a nest bowl in the pairs original nest box?
Thanks for the help.

Randy

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
You can not stop the egg laying--only the hatchings---They will set the dummy eggs 18-20 days--then start the cycle again.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am doing it with my rollers now, when they leave the wooden ones and lay two new ones then replace them with wooden ones again.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
just a reminder! I had a hen on wooden eggs and I guess instead of leaving the nest when they did not hatch she just laid two more without skipping a beat, I did not check under her, thinking she was REAL attached to her wooden eggs, untill one day I saw her lift up and there was a little fuzzy baby under there and another going to hatch...I was so surprized, so now I just check under my hens every week to make sure they did'nt slip one in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts