Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some pigeons last week, 4 of them they are tipplers iv kept them locked up for the week. They have a good loft to live in, always have water ext ext. I need help eith training now. I have a bottle with rocks that i always shake when feeding them. Nome of them come close when i feed them. Once i leave then they slowly come down to eat. Im new to this can somone help with a step by step. Aswell as fly training. What are the steps i need to take before iam to late. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I've never had Tipplers so I know nothing about training them, but I would get rid of the bottle and rocks and use some thing more soothing. I use a whistle some people use a bell, and some just talk to the birds. They are just getting used to you and shaking a bottle and fast movements may scare them a bit.
Dave

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hello. I would recommend reading from the net about tipplers. Most tipplermen use droppers: birds that eat with the tipplers but do not fly with them. When the flyers see the droppers, they come down from the skies and get ready to eat and rest.
If I got tipplers tomorrow, i would keep them captive and breed them, then fly their young. Because the tippler is a strong flyer, incorrect feeding could keep them flying for long time. The goal for a beginner is to teach the birds to land when given freedom. Hunger is your main tool: barley is the feed for young tipplers.
Jack Prescott has articles. Harry Shanon has articles on tipplers. I personally have never knowingly owned tipplers. I think i like them alot. I belong to Tippler Talk Discussion Group on Yahoo. Thanks and keep in touch.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Marvellous advice by hamlet.
Pigeons929,if your talking about the same birds whose pics you shared with us earlier then they can be resettled because they're not english tipplers.
Cage them hungry on landing board and let them come in by responding them to feedcall. Feed them by letting the decoy/cheeko white birds eat by their side so that they associate feeding with them. So when they're high up in the skies, show the decoy and they will land. It a slow and gradual process which you're pigeons will get accustomed to eventually.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Got some pigeons last week, 4 of them they are tipplers iv kept them locked up for the week. They have a good loft to live in, always have water ext ext. I need help eith training now. I have a bottle with rocks that i always shake when feeding them. Nome of them come close when i feed them. Once i leave then they slowly come down to eat. Im new to this can somone help with a step by step. Aswell as fly training. What are the steps i need to take before iam to late. Any help would be appreciated.
I agree with Pete, rocks in a bottle is disruptive not something you want to hear. I just say high pitched "cooome and eeeat", whistles work well like a dog whistle that you can hear, or you can say "hear pigeon pigeon pigeon".

I would wait for a few months befor even thinking about letting them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts