Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to get some views/opinions on this very sad situation I may be about to deal with. Any info is greatly appreciated.

My pijie "Bill" (who is female, don't ask) is not well (abdominal tumor, had surgery, unable to remove it, herbs not helping). I'm praying that any minute now things will turn around for her and I'll see any sign at all of improvement - or - that she is at least not very uncomfortable. To the contrary she's been losing more and more weight, etc. I'm starting to feel that I may be being selfish at this point, and maybe the time is coming to part w/her.

Of all my pijies, I've had her the longest (approx. 5 yrs). She has a mate, "Tippy". They are both semi-recovered PMV pijies. They are housed separate from my aviary, as Tippy beats up on her when there are ANY other birds around. So they live only w/ea other and love ea other soooo much.

Tomorrow we're going to the vet, again, and I feel this might be it. I plan to have Tippy ride along w/Bill to the vet, so they can be with ea other. I'm not sure what the best way to handle the situation for BOTH of them would be, should I have to make a decision. Here is my question: Should they be together at that time? or After? or not at all?

I pray that I won't need this info for tomorrow, but I owe it to them to be prepared to do what's best for both.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think you should leave Tippy at home. unless he is used to riding and enjoys it. if not, no need to stress two. hope it all works out for the best... so sorry your bird is not well.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
My Pattie Cakers passed away earlier this year due to the same thing. When we did the exploratory a few months earlier and found that it was a tumor this time, I asked him for something to put her to sleep if I found her in an especially bad way. He did give me something but said that these things usually cause them to pass away very suddenly with a decent quality of life right up to that point. So, we kept her inside and would bring her mate in to visit every evening. She didn't demonstrate any behavior to suggest that she felt that bad right up until she passed away one mid-morning with him (Jedd) there with her on a weekend.

I'm sure that every such case could be different so you're going to have to go with your own instincts there. Hope that helps.

Pidgey

·
Registered
233 Posts
That is such a horrible thing to have to go through. I am soo sorry. I have had to put pets down before and being as they are a part of the family its the toughest thing in the world to do. I think that either way Tippy will have to part with Bill at some point and like Spirit wings mentioned it may be even more traumatic and stressful for both if she goes along for the car ride. Again I am so sorry. Bill and Tippy will be in my thoughts and prayers. :(

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your quick replys.

Spirit Wings and Pigeonmama, Tippy doesn't actually mind car rides, and I thought Bill might feel more comfortable w/him. I guess I am more concerned as to whether or not he should know what has happened to her if she doesn't come home. I've had many furry and feathered babies leave me and I've never done anything like this in front of the other...but, I've heard that some people believe it helps the other close companion to know what has happened. Trust me, I don't want to make Tippy sadder than he will be, or confuse or scare him, at all.

Plamenh, I've tried a multitude of items for Bill. She is so very picky w/her eating. She has had greens, which she chose not to eat. I eventually decided to make sure she had all her favorites (ie egg food product,her most favorite) and then get my vets herbs into her faithfully. He's the best vet that I've ever known, Dr. Wen on LI, and I trust him completely.

Pidgey, I actually had done a search on tumors and did in fact read your detailed thread about Pattie Cakers. I'm so sorry that she passed, but comforted to know that she didn't suffer. My vet said Bill's tumor was so large it was pressing on the liver and crowding out the stomach. The mass was so blood filled she couldn't even get a biopsy done. Initially I thought she was having trouble passing an egg, I could have sworn that was what was going on. I couldn't believe that it was a tumor and that Bill was going to go through this. Anyway, she had gained quite a bit of weight when I started the herbs (60gms) and lost it shortly thereafter. Now she barely even attempts to eat so I'm handfeeding her what I can, along w/vit enriched water. Did Pattie Cakers stop eating and lose wt? I can't tell how much discomfort Bill is in. She sits fluffed up all day, w/a hunched back, and that's all she does. I am giving her pain meds but I just don't know if she's suffering or not. I can't just let her waste away day after day. I am going to ask the vet, like you did yours, for something that maybe I could administer at home if needed, where she is more comfortable. Thanks for that idea.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
in my mind I think that pigeons think in a preservation type of way as they are a prey animal...so I do not think he woud grasp the passing as a human would...but if you think you should show him the body..which ever way she passes, perhaps he would know she is gone.... either way he will...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is such a horrible thing to have to go through. I am soo sorry. I have had to put pets down before and being as they are a part of the family its the toughest thing in the world to do. I think that either way Tippy will have to part with Bill at some point and like Spirit wings mentioned it may be even more traumatic and stressful for both if she goes along for the car ride. Again I am so sorry. Bill and Tippy will be in my thoughts and prayers. :(
Thank you. I think I agree. I've just never had to do this when a "couple" was involved. The closest I've come to that was w/my 2 dogs that grew up w/ea other from birth. When one passed, we let the other one see her sister "gone". She had no visible response at that time, but my sweet "Pumpkin" who is still w/me 2 yrs later was never the same after. Who knows. Thanks for your prayers.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Pidgey, I actually had done a search on tumors and did in fact read your detailed thread about Pattie Cakers. I'm so sorry that she passed, but comforted to know that she didn't suffer. My vet said Bill's tumor was so large it was pressing on the liver and crowding out the stomach. The mass was so blood filled she couldn't even get a biopsy done. Initially I thought she was having trouble passing an egg, I could have sworn that was what was going on. I couldn't believe that it was a tumor and that Bill was going to go through this. Anyway, she had gained quite a bit of weight when I started the herbs (60gms) and lost it shortly thereafter. Now she barely even attempts to eat so I'm handfeeding her what I can, along w/vit enriched water. Did Pattie Cakers stop eating and lose wt? I can't tell how much discomfort Bill is in. She sits fluffed up all day, w/a hunched back, and that's all she does. I am giving her pain meds but I just don't know if she's suffering or not. I can't just let her waste away day after day. I am going to ask the vet, like you did yours, for something that maybe I could administer at home if needed, where she is more comfortable. Thanks for that idea.
Pattie Cakers never stopped eating, although she cut back. Yes, she slowly lost weight anyhow. She'd been through a lot in her years. She was an adult of indeterminate age when I found her with her shoulder shattered in the spring of '01. She lived with us some eight years and had several problems along the way. On the one hand, you could say that life wasn't very kind to her and on the other... she had more life than most pigeons will ever know or enjoy.

The vet gave me a syringe full of some pink barbiturate liquid to be given orally. I still have it and feel a slight bitter sting every time I see it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you were able to obtain the necessary medication to put her to sleep on your own that would be ideal. That way Tippy can be with her when you do it and Bill will feel much more comfortable. When my rat was really sick my vet gave us the med to put her to sleep that way we could all hold her without her feeling even more stressed being at an unknown location and even more scared. It would be much more peaceful for Bill and it would give Tippy some closure instead of wondering what happened to his wife.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pattie Cakers never stopped eating, although she cut back. Yes, she slowly lost weight anyhow. She'd been through a lot in her years. She was an adult of indeterminate age when I found her with her shoulder shattered in the spring of '01. She lived with us some eight years and had several problems along the way. On the one hand, you could say that life wasn't very kind to her and on the other... she had more life than most pigeons will ever know or enjoy.

The vet gave me a syringe full of some pink barbiturate liquid to be given orally. I still have it and feel a slight bitter sting every time I see it.
You just love them so much, and they are so deserving of that love. I feel bad that Pattie Cakers (what a precious name!) had such issues, but, with all those years w/you, she had a family to love her and look after her, and now, a family to remember her and smile.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you were able to obtain the necessary medication to put her to sleep on your own that would be ideal. That way Tippy can be with her when you do it and Bill will feel much more comfortable. When my rat was really sick my vet gave us the med to put her to sleep that way we could all hold her without her feeling even more stressed being at an unknown location and even more scared. It would be much more peaceful for Bill and it would give Tippy some closure instead of wondering what happened to his wife.
I always believe that it's best to have them in their most comfortable surroundings too. I'll be speaking w/my vet about this tomorrow. I just can't handle the thought of it though. I've been very lucky w/my original rescues and I have dreaded when one would leave me. I'm partly in denial, because it feels like Bill has just always been there. And, I'm angry too. I don't know why I should feel so surprised by this, I'm no stranger to pets w/cancer, etc. Anyway, just like all my babies that I have loved so much, I'm honored to have had her in my life.

Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Leslie, I think you should do what you think is best. At this time I don't want you to think back and wish you had taken Tippy to be with Bill. Since you know them best and you think they can both do better with one another in this stressful time then you should do it. Now if Tippy hated car rides then I would say maybe not, but since he does then take them both together. So SORRY that Bill is going through this. Your really terrific to take such good care of them. I'm in tears just reading what you are going through I can't imagine being there and being able to handle it. min

1 - 15 of 15 Posts