Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an adult feral pigeon I got in three months ago, he presented with what I thought might be kidney failure. He was severely emaciated could not stand with out falling over had no urates in his feces even though I was tubing with electrolytes and Mac formula, I put him on a 10 day treatment of antibiotics, which seemed to correct the urate problem got him eating on his own again but all food went threw him and came out whole , he seems to have some type of absorption problem. He had an old leg fracture but that was healed over, he still has a slight balance problem. He still has bad looking feces either full of seed or total splats. Any ideas on something I could try?

Pam

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Have you wormed him? Worms do a number on birds and tend to take over on a bird that is ill.

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I would give the bird a daily dose of probiotics ( a really good one), and ACV water.

Be sure to feed easy to digest foods like formula until the poop looks better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What type of worming medication do you use? I tried Panacure a few years ago and lost half my flock. My vet told me that was the only worming med to use for the type of worms they had. The bird has gained all his weight back just has terrible looking feces and a balance problem. I will get some probiotics and try the ACV water. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
the gizzard could...(I say could as Iam not a vet), be damanged, I would give him clean grit and minerals, and do not let him over eat at this point. if he has a hernia of the gizzard do not think there is anything to do but convalesce. the gizzard is where the seeds are ground with help of the grit, so something is not working in that area I would guess.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
PDD symptoms can be alleviated with using Medacam..however, if the pigeon is emptying his crop OK, and not throwing up....I would say it's probably not PDD.

WhiteDove.....did this come on suddenly, or very gradually????

Incidentally, right here in SF they recently identified the exact virus which causes PDD...avian vets have been trying to find that out for years, so perhaps a cure is not far down the road (my beautiful Meyers parrot, Baby, she flying free and happy now.... succumbed to it a few years ago....it's a horrible disease).

I would say the probiotics and wormer seem the most logical next steps. If that does no good, I have had some luck using Ornicycline, which is a wide-net med for digestive and respiratory ailments.....

I mean, worst case....like chicken soup.....hey...it can't hoyt !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts