Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
There is a Dove in my backyard and it seems to be eating and his crop is way too full. He keeps kind of pawing at his mouth and stretching his neck out. I took a video of him. I just need somebody to tell me what I should do.
It's a Dove or Pigeon? Sound like it might have canker. Unless you can catch it, there's not really much that can be done.
If you can catch it, then someone can help determine what might be wrong and what to do about it.
Can you post the video on YouTube and give us a link?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Please do try and catch it... From looking at the way he is sitting and puffing himself up, I'd say he needs some help..

Once you get him inside confine him in a box or dog crate with a heating pad set to low with a towel wrapped around the heat pad... set it to low... NO- food and water until he warms up...
Others will be along to assist you after that.. Keep us updated! And also Thank YOU for caring enough to help him out!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't think it is canker, because you should be able to see it on the mouth and in the back of the throat, with the mouth open the way it is in the picture.
I think it has some other obstruction in the throat.
If you can catch it, hold the mouth open and look down the throat.
If you see any foriegn body stuck in it, you may be able to pull it out with a hemostat or tweezers.
My other guess would be that it suffered some sort of an injury that became infected.
Remember that native doves are protected and you can't legally keep it without a permit, so be carefull.
Keith

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sorry to say he flew out of the yard. His mate looked like she was trying to get him to stop eating and he ended up flying up on the hill behind my house. I will watch for him. I saw him yesterday and he just looked so fat. It looked like he just kept eating and not drinking and the food wasnt going down all the way. He was eating small bird that has corn and sunflower seeds that I put in the bird feeder. Is that bad for them ?

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Hi Gina,

Definitely try to catch this dove. It either has an object stuck in the throat (could be an abscess too) or has a severe case of canker (possibly both). My rehabber friend, Susan, is in Orange and could probably take the bird if you can catch it. If she's not around, I'll be happy to take it until I can get it to Susan.

Sadly, I suspect that this bird has already passed away .. the pictures were not encouraging.

Terry

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
That's a morning dove, and it doesn't look in good shape :(
My first thought was something stuck in there, or prehaps wet canker (or 'sour crop', just a bunch of canker deep in the throat/crop, which makes eating and digesting hard or sometimes impossible).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First thing in the morning I will look hard for him. I think you are rigtht about something being caught in his throat, but he just kept eating and then trying to stretch his throat out. When he flew up on the hill and started walking his throat didnt look so bad anymore. Is it at all possible it fixed itself ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.