Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In January 2014, my wife found a squab on the ground in a park after high winds. She named it Daube. She hand fed Daube and now it's pretty big and is about 3 months old.

We live in Hawaii and there are no hawks here. My wife has released Daube every morning since it was old enough to fly and Daube stays out all day. Daube will follow my wife or me around in the yard when we are outside and will fly and perch on our head or shoulder without coaxing. We have been getting Daube to go into her commercial wire cage every evening and brought Daube into the house during the night. The wire cage is 24" wide x 17" high x 17" deep. After eating, Daube starts to frantically pace the cage looking for a way to get out. We cover the cage with towels, leaving some space in the back for air to get in, which calms her down for the night.

So much for the background.

About a week ago, Daube refuses to go into her cage in the evening. Daube prefers to sleep outside on high places under our home's eaves or in our carport. My wife feeds Daube outside in the morning and sometimes at about 1pm. Now, even if she feeds Daube only in the morning, Daube still doesn't want to go into the wire cage to eat in the evening.

So my question is, think it will be worth it for me to build a small 3 x 4 foot loft for Daube? The loft would be located in our back yard where Daube mostly hangs out though she sometimes hangs out in our carport or disappears for many hours during the day. With this behavior, we both think that Daube might hang around our home for a month or two more and then disappear into parts unknown. Daube is behaving like a teenager and wants her freedom 24 x 7.

Should I build a loft for Daube? I plan to build a cat-proof door that will let Daube go in or out at will but the landing platform will pivot with the weight of a cat, closing the small 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" door.

A youtube video that shows a sample of the cat-proof trap door that I intend to build, less the Belgium trap inside. Daube will be free to go in or out at will during daylight hours. I will close the trap door at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avbzpXllOE0

Thanks for any insights and for reading this long post,
Skyglider

·
Registered
47 Posts
Daube is most likely a wild pigeon and she probably likes being free to roam. On the other hand, their may be something about the cage that stresses her. Is the flooring made of wire? If so, Daube might have got her foot stuck in the wire and hurt herself. I am yet an amateur, so I have little knowledge on the situation. You might want to check the cage for any materials that could be harmful to Daube.

I wish you the best of luck finding out what is making Daube behave like this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daube is most likely a wild pigeon and she probably likes being free to roam. On the other hand, their may be something about the cage that stresses her. Is the flooring made of wire? If so, Daube might have got her foot stuck in the wire and hurt herself. I am yet an amateur, so I have little knowledge on the situation. You might want to check the cage for any materials that could be harmful to Daube.

I wish you the best of luck finding out what is making Daube behave like this.
Hi Epic Pigeon,

Daube's wire cage does have a floor made of wire but my wife has put several layers of newspaper on the entire floor since day-1 so that Daube has a nice flat surface to walk on. Also to be able to keep the floor clean by replacing the newspapers.

Nothing harmful to Daube in her cage.

Thank you very much for your kind offering of ideas. We appreciate it!
Skyglider & wife

·
Registered
959 Posts
Actually pigeons do not like flat surfaces. They need a broad perch, preferably rectangular than circular. Bricks do well as perches.
I feel you should just let Daube be her wild self and let her free in the night. I know you want her to be safe which is why you are bringing her into the cage by night. But pigeons by instinct like to roost at a high spot (the higher the spot the more safe they feel).
Daube probably needs a mate now, so she is not going to be happy sitting all alone in her cage anymore. Just my opinion. Thanks for taking such good care of her.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually pigeons do not like flat surfaces. They need a broad perch, preferably rectangular than circular. Bricks do well as perches.
I feel you should just let Daube be her wild self and let her free in the night. I know you want her to be safe which is why you are bringing her into the cage by night. But pigeons by instinct like to roost at a high spot (the higher the spot the more safe they feel).
Daube probably needs a mate now, so she is not going to be happy sitting all alone in her cage anymore. Just my opinion. Thanks for taking such good care of her.
Thanks for your feedback kunju.

I neglected to mention that we do put a small box that's a little bigger than a brick in the cage. The box is upside down and Daube always sits on the box at night.

I wonder if Daube would make a small loft his/her home if I build one? It would be brutal if I spend the money and time to build a nice small loft and she refuses to live in it at night.

For folks who raised pigeons for a good while, from Daube's current behavior what do you think the odds are that Daube would make a new loft her home if I build one. My small loft design is in post #43 of this thread:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f38/my-small-loft-design-72733-3.html

Thanks for your best guesses,
Skyglider

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey skyglider,
Thanks for saving Daube and letting her share your place with you guys.

IMO,you must decide Daube future... Do you wanna keep her as your pet or you wanna set her free.
If as pet,then letting her out to free fly and socialize with ferals aint a good idea. As pet she will be best suited as your indoor buddy. Letting her out for an hour or two daily under your supervision is good. But if you let her out un supervised she's gonna get sick or get parasites or may also end up in claws/talons of some predator/BOP.

If you wanna let her free then you can build her a safe loft to be closed at night to keep vermins away. But then she can leave someday if she finds herself a mate or can bring him to your place. :)

For a pigeon to live comfortable 2 square feet coop is what you would need. For a pair the space is 3/2 feet.
I'm yet to go through the links you've brought up

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey skyglider,
Thanks for saving Daube and letting her share your place with you guys.

IMO,you must decide Daube future... Do you wanna keep her as your pet or you wanna set her free.
If as pet,then letting her out to free fly and socialize with ferals aint a good idea. As pet she will be best suited as your indoor buddy. Letting her out for an hour or two daily under your supervision is good. But if you let her out un supervised she's gonna get sick or get parasites or may also end up in claws/talons of some predator/BOP.

If you wanna let her free then you can build her a safe loft to be closed at night to keep vermins away. But then she can leave someday if she finds herself a mate or can bring him to your place. :)

For a pigeon to live comfortable 2 square feet coop is what you would need. For a pair the space is 3/2 feet.
I'm yet to go through the links you've brought up
Hi Jass,

You bring up good points about Daube getting sick or picking up parasites. My wife decided to let Daube enjoy her freedom and just try to care for Daube the best way she can under the circumstances, since Daube hates to stay in his/her cage day or night.

Guess the only option I have to help my wife in her goals is to go ahead and build the small loft and hope Daube will live in it.

This brings up other questions.

1. How should I get Daube to know that the loft is her new home after I build it?

2. If the cat-proof trap door is open all day to allow Daube to come and go as he/she pleases, I assume other birds will try to make it their home instead. I believe from reading that most folks who fly their birds daily, only do it for an hour or so per day. During that time, how do folks keep other birds from going into the loft?

Thanks,
Skyglider

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
1. How should I get Daube to know that the loft is her new home after I build it?
Pigeons are very intelligent. She will assume the new set up as her home in 2-4 days. For that you need to lock her up in there so that she sees it as her new residence. She may hesitate or feel nervous at first but in 2-4 days she'll be fine. I always introduce pigeons to a new place late in the evening. The dark calms them down and next morning they automatically relate to the new place and consider it as safe spot where they spent the last night peacefully.
2. If the cat-proof trap door is open all day to allow Daube to come and go as he/she pleases, I assume other birds will try to make it their home instead. I believe from reading that most folks who fly their birds daily, only do it for an hour or so per day. During that time, how do folks keep other birds from going into the loft?
I myself faced problems with open trap door system. sparrows,starlings,crows,sparrow hawks and especially squirrels are hugely annoying here. Daube will be safe until some bird finds the way into the loft via trap.
You may want to try that "bend" home made trap. The trap path is a "L" shape with the outer opening facing downwards. Daube will need to be trained to enter that trap. Other birds may never notice such arrangement. Some simply use pvc pipe bends as traps to keep other unwanted birds off

Pigeons are territorial by nature. In a big loft they co-exist tolerating eachother by dividing their territories with invisible lines. But in small coop where your Daube will live alone(or with her partner as a pair),she/they will defend their turf from species they can fight off. (She will be more safe with a mate)If birds make a nest in your coop they are easy to do away with. Before laying just touch their nest in their presence and they will leave the nesting site.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pigeons are very intelligent. She will assume the new set up as her home in 2-4 days. For that you need to lock her up in there so that she sees it as her new residence. She may hesitate or feel nervous at first but in 2-4 days she'll be fine. I always introduce pigeons to a new place late in the evening. The dark calms them down and next morning they automatically relate to the new place and consider it as safe spot where they spent the last night peacefully.
I myself faced problems with open trap door system. sparrows,starlings,crows,sparrow hawks and especially squirrels are hugely annoying here. Daube will be safe until some bird finds the way into the loft via trap.
You may want to try that "bend" home made trap. The trap path is a "L" shape with the outer opening facing downwards. Daube will need to be trained to enter that trap. Other birds may never notice such arrangement. Some simply use pvc pipe bends as traps to keep other unwanted birds off

Pigeons are territorial by nature. In a big loft they co-exist tolerating eachother by dividing their territories with invisible lines. But in small coop where your Daube will live alone(or with her partner as a pair),she/they will defend their turf from species they can fight off. (She will be more safe with a mate)If birds make a nest in your coop they are easy to do away with. Before laying just touch their nest in their presence and they will leave the nesting site.
All really helpful tips. I'll go ahead and build the small loft. Experimentation with the cat-proof trap door may be in order to try to keep other birds out.

Thank you very much,
Skyglider

1 - 9 of 9 Posts