Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't had a sick bird in awhile, so I guess I'm a little brain dead. :rolleyes:
She was just standing on the loft floor letting all the cocks breed her not trying to get away. Picked her up with no struggle.
Feels a little thin, soft poop stuck to her.
Brought her in and put on heating pad - just stood there.
Wormed her with strongid (pyrantel) - first thing I always do.
Fed her a little water w/salt and sugar. Not interested in her seed. Haven't force fed her yet.
The wet outer edges of her poop seem to be blood tinged (?) poop is brown *see picture
She got up on her log and is just standing.
Not sure where to start here - suggestions needed.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Msfreebird,

I am sure your brain will kick in shortly;).

I think you have done what you should be doing so far. She is a pretty bird by the way.

When I have one like this with sickness of unknown cause I usually do pull the seeds from their hospital cage for the first while until I figure out what is going on.

How does her crop feel, flat and empty or are there contents? How does her breath smell, throat look? Can she fly at all? How is her breathing? Can you get some basic tests done such as a fecal float and gram stain done for her? I know you have been on the forum a while, but I am not sure of what everyone is comfortable with doing, do you know how to tube feed? What have her droppings been looking like since the last photo and how often is she doing them?

Karyn

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Msfreebird,

I am sure your brain will kick in shortly;).

I think you have done what you should be doing so far.

When I have one like this with sickness of unknown cause I usually do pull the seeds from their hospital cage for the first while until I figure out what is going on.

How does her crop feel, flat and empty or are there contents? How does her breath smell, throat look? Can she fly at all? How is her breathing? Can you get some basic tests done such as a fecal float and gram stain done for her? I know you have been on the forum a while, but I am not sure of what everyone is comfortable with doing, do you know how to tube feed? What have her droppings been looking like since the last photo and how often is she doing them?

Karyn
Hi Karyn,
I don't want to start antibiotics until I'm sure what's going on.
Since 1st post, she's had 1 poop which is now brown liquid.
Still has not eaten on her own. Crop feels empty.
Breath, mouth and throat are fine. Not canker.
Breathing is fine. She is just sitting and standing. Alert.
I know how to tube feed and have everything I need. I just wanted to observe her for awhile 1st.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Waynette...how long since she laid eggs?

·
Registered
862 Posts
My guess would be Coccidiosis Msfreebird,better start her on meds,(aureo/sulmet) is what I would recommend. Better flock treat being the males were mating with her or it will be spreading.That is my opinion but you might want to wait for someone elses opinion whom you have more trust in.
Kurps

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guess would be Coccidiosis Msfreebird,better start her on meds,(aureo/sulmet) is what I would recommend. Better flock treat being the males were mating with her or it will be spreading.That is my opinion but you might want to wait for someone elses opinion whom you have more trust in.
Kurps
Thanks. My 1st thought is coccidia. I have and usually use Albon for that.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Coccidiosis is usually a secondary infection to something else going on.

Is she currently laying on fake eggs or ready to lay?

It is possible she may have some kind of egg related issue, that is one thing to keep in mind as it can be very serious and with dryer weather it can be a challenge for some hens who are laying.

I wouldn't hesitate to consider it.

Make sure to hand feed her, keep her on heat,if you suspect an egg issue give her a drop of olive oil daily, calcium supplement, and even allow her access to warm moist room-like bathroom after a shower.

If she doesn't get better take her to an avian vet.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
While you are deciding what course of treatment to take I would try and get some immediate energy into your little one. Looking at the small amount of solids that are in her dropping it may have been a while since she since she last ate properly so may be down on energy. Once you feel she is well hydrated with Pedilyte or hydration fluid, I would tube her 8cc of a simple sugar water mix, as simple sugars do not have to be digested by our birds and are absorbed right through their bowel wall for an instant energy boost. The sugar solution although a liquid will act as a food, that's why I mentioned to rehydrate her first with an isotonic solution. The fluids will help to flush her out as well.

Karyn

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I would use Appertex (Cocci) and Spartrix (Tricho) in one day, if you have as it works faster and it is safer. As Dobato mentioned fluids, but I preffer honey or glucose instead sugar to boost her energy levels.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would use Appertex (Cocci) and Spartrix (Tricho) in one day, if you have as it works faster and it is safer. As Dobato mentioned fluids, but I preffer honey or glucose instead sugar to boost her energy levels.
Thanks plamenh.
The only things I have on hand for coccidia are - Albon and Sulmet (sulfamethazine) "Drinking Water Solution".
So this is what I did - I mixed a half gallon dose of Sulmet, mixed in some "nutri-cal" and tube fed her 8 mls.
Not sure if your familiar with "nutri-cal". Its a high calorie suppliment, loaded with vitamins and minerals with added sources for energy. (corn syrup, soybean oil, cod liver oil, cane molasses, and too many vitamins and minerals to list!)
She hasn't pooped in awhile (it was brown water), so I'm thinking that's good - her intestines are resting.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If nutrical is this:
Brand Name
Nutri-Cal (Tomlyn)
The Nutri-Cal formula contains vitamin A, D & E, Phosphorus, Thiamine, Calcium, Manganese, Iodine, Potassium, Iron, Folic Acid, Riboflavin and other essential ingredients, and provides an additional 338 calories per feeding.
Active Ingredient(s):
(per 6 gm teaspoon) Vitamin E (5 IU), Vitamin B1 (1.7mg), Vitamin B2 (0.2 mg), Vitamin B6 ( 0.8 mg), Vitamin B12 (1.9 mcg), Folic Acid (0.2 mg), Niacin (1.9 mg), d-Pantothenic Acid (0.9 mg). Also contains Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, EPA, DHA, Omega-6 and Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
Sounds very good and should keep her fit for some time even if only on fluids.

Maybe tomorrow you can start adding some baby bird formula to the mix, gradually until you reach normal consistancy. This way you will be able to check her poops.

She still needs to pass some waterry poop even if only on water. If not, there is a danger that her GI shuts down. Please keep her warm and monitor closely.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If nutrical is this:

Sounds very good and should keep her fit for some time even if only on fluids.

Maybe tomorrow you can start adding some baby bird formula to the mix, gradually until you reach normal consistancy. This way you will be able to check her poops.

She still needs to pass some waterry poop even if only on water. If not, there is a danger that her GI shuts down. Please keep her warm and monitor closely.
Ya, that's the generic brand, but same ingredients.
No change this morning. Hasn't eaten or drank anything on her own. No new poops. Still alert, but doesn't move around.
I'm going to start her on albon this morning, because I can single dose that instead of treating water with sulmet. And will start tube feedings.
I will take her to work with me tomorrow and send fecal sample to lab. I'm also going to take a radiograph to see if there's an egg involved. :confused:

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
No change this morning. Hasn't eaten or drank anything on her own. No new poops. Still alert, but doesn't move around.
The no new poops is quite worrisome to me. The rest of the symptoms I can deal with, but this is the one symptom that is a real red flag to me and where I look for help ASAP, as there should be droppings of some sort, even bile droppings. At this point, without being too alarmist, if she were mine it would be straight to the vets for possible fluid therapy to get loaded with subQ fluids to get things moving again. Plus, an examine by the vet will help eliminate many possible causes of any blockages, such as being egg bound. If you can get her to the vets, I would hold off a bit in tubing her anything until it can be determined why things are not moving through her.

Karyn

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Any news yet? Did you check the crop? Full of water, empty? She should pass something by now.
I had simmilar case yesterday, urates and water, nothing hard. I used Spartrix and fluids and today is pooping like champ.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She didn't eat or drink on her own last night. Did drink a small amount of water this morning. No poops - nothing. Still alert but just sitting.
I'm thinking blocked now.
Had alot of dry poop around vent - sat her in warm water and cleaned her vent with swab. she started contracting. Sitting in her cage next to me now so I can watch her. She's lifting her tail up and down like she's trying to pass something.
Very alert and doesn't seem uncomfortable but is in "nesting" position.
I did feed her 24 mls of formula early this morning.
Just gave her a drop of olive oil and small piece of "tums" (calcium)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts