Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone will remember me (been a long time). I came here over a year ago when I was 'adopted' by a pigeon when I went out to Dunkin Donuts to get a coffee and she landed on my head and would not get off (we don't have pigeons here, as we have a huge hawk population). Anyway, fast forward more then a year and Stewie is still with us.

A little background first. I found out Stewie had been handraised and know her first 'mom'. Stewie has been a very picky eater since she came here. I get the pigeon mix, and she pretty much will only eat the peas out of it. Nothing else I offer she will ever touch. Now, Stewie is a MAJOR egg layer (she sees me as her 'mate'). NOTHING has stopped her from doing this (fake eggs, leaving her own, etc....she will just lay more!) The last two eggs she laid last week have taken her down badly. She was not moving for days, unless I make her, and even then, she will only walk, not fly. She is thin. I have begun tube feeding her, but I don't know what else to do. I am going to call my vet and see if he can do some fecals and maybe blood, but any other ideas? Should I have her on heat? If so, a heating pad on low? I don't want to loose her but am getting concerned that she has not picked back up (I have always offered oyster shell and grit and she used to gobble that down, but has not touched it in some time.) Please help! Stewie is 2 yrs old.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I don't know if anyone will remember me (been a long time). I came here over a year ago when I was 'adopted' by a pigeon when I went out to Dunkin Donuts to get a coffee and she landed on my head and would not get off (we don't have pigeons here, as we have a huge hawk population). Anyway, fast forward more then a year and Stewie is still with us.

A little background first. I found out Stewie had been handraised and know her first 'mom'. Stewie has been a very picky eater since she came here. I get the pigeon mix, and she pretty much will only eat the peas out of it. Nothing else I offer she will ever touch. Now, Stewie is a MAJOR egg layer (she sees me as her 'mate'). NOTHING has stopped her from doing this (fake eggs, leaving her own, etc....she will just lay more!) The last two eggs she laid last week have taken her down badly. She was not moving for days, unless I make her, and even then, she will only walk, not fly. She is thin. I have begun tube feeding her, but I don't know what else to do. I am going to call my vet and see if he can do some fecals and maybe blood, but any other ideas? Should I have her on heat? If so, a heating pad on low? I don't want to loose her but am getting concerned that she has not picked back up (I have always offered oyster shell and grit and she used to gobble that down, but has not touched it in some time.) Please help! Stewie is 2 yrs old.
Have you given her extra calcium supplement plus D3? She may be totally depleted in caclium.

Once she is back to good health,don't give her anymore seed, until she eats everything in the mix, otherwise she will keep it up. The peas may also contribute to her overproduction of eggs.

Does she have a mate or are you her love interest? Don't pet her on the back anymore, as that can stimulate egg production too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told the handfeeding formula has it and to also sprinkle calcium carbonate on her food, but she is not eating anything. What can I feed her then? She just won't eat and over time, her eating has gone down as it is. I never knew a wild pigeon to be picky over food, most will eat whatever (not that you should just give them 'whatever', but you know what I mean.) How else can I get calcium into her?

I am her 'mate'. She will sit on my shoulder and rub her face over and over on my face if I don't pet her. I will take breaks of letting her out, only because every time she gets on me, then she lays more eggs. I am at a loss. When I let her out to fly, she will fly right to me and start the nuzzling thing. It is like if she is out, she wants on me....not to fly around.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi Pappy1264,

Thanks for adopting Stewie.

Sounds to me mostly like a major lack of calcium problem, with all the egg laying it can really deplete their body of calcium reserves and you get a bird presenting as you describe.

I would get to the drug store and buy some Caltrate with Vitamin D (make sure it's the ones with Vit D as this is important) cut the tablet in to 1/4s' and "pop" it into the mouth as shown in the clip below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow

I would then "pop" 1/8 of a pill every two to three days until the rest of the tablet id gone. It would be wise to pick her up a liquid calcium product, such as Calcivet, to put into her water a few times a week to help maintain good calcium levels within her body. It wouldn't hurt as well to have the vet run the tests to make sure all is well with her droppings.

Good luck with her,

Karyn

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I remember you...I agree with Treesa...she needs vitamin D to help her body process the calcium and you need to get some into her ASAP.
Also...it's very important that she be allowed to incubate the eggs even though they won't hatch. Doing so, gives her body the time it needs to recuperate from egg laying.
Avoid petting her on her lower back as doing so stimulates egg laying.
The doctor may have a hormone shot that will keep her from laying for a while.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have hubby pick some up on the way home, as he has my truck. I just tube fed her and added extra calcium, as well. Where can I get the liquid calcium? Also, any suggestions for food, for the future? She is so stubburn and even over time, she has eaten less and less. She was a porker when she came here. I grew up in the city, so to see a 'picky pigeon' seems so strange to me. Thanks for the help guys. I am handrearing baby cottontails and a baby sparrow (my first four baby bunnies are in the outside cage and will be released this weekend, and have two teeny tinies now), so things are hectic (just trying to help out the rehabbers, as they are swamped already this year. Everywhere is the same way.) Oh, also, what is a good size range for a feral pigeon? I have to weigh her, but would like to know the normal range. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I would add honey to her formula to help her gaining weight. Also once she recovers, do not leave food in the cage permanently. Fill dish with grain, leave it for 15 minutes twice a day and take it out. This will help stimulating her to eat everything. Chopped veggies and greens are also good for her. Legumes are rich on proteins and this stimulates egg production. Using 40~60% barley in the mix reduces egg lying too (providing she eats it).

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Here is a link where to where you can purchase a good liquid calcium supplement for Stewie:

http://www.jedds.com/-strse-851/CALCIBIRD-250-ml-(Medpet)/Detail.bok

For a feral hen a weight of around 325-345 grams would be in a normal range, but a touch above, or below, depending on their body size could be just fine.

Also, with the Caltrate, depending on her mouth size, you may want to break the first dose, 1/4 tablet, into two piece to make it easier for her to swallow. Plus, depending on how much "extra calcium" you just fed her, if it's just a bit then go with the full 1/4 tablet, if it was a good dose, then go with 1/8 tablet until 1 entire tablet has been used.

Karyn

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I will have hubby pick some up on the way home, as he has my truck. I just tube fed her and added extra calcium, as well. Where can I get the liquid calcium? Also, any suggestions for food, for the future? She is so stubburn and even over time, she has eaten less and less. She was a porker when she came here. I grew up in the city, so to see a 'picky pigeon' seems so strange to me. Thanks for the help guys. I am handrearing baby cottontails and a baby sparrow (my first four baby bunnies are in the outside cage and will be released this weekend, and have two teeny tinies now), so things are hectic (just trying to help out the rehabbers, as they are swamped already this year. Everywhere is the same way.) Oh, also, what is a good size range for a feral pigeon? I have to weigh her, but would like to know the normal range. Thanks!
http://www.jedds.com/-strse-Supplem...n-Calcium-w-fdsh--Vit.-D3-&-Mg/Categories.bok

Feral pigeons can have a wide weight range depending upon their ancestry. If her keel bone is prominent, she is too thin. I think she's not eating because she doesn't feel well and so I would not with hold her food. I think it should be available all the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts