Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my wife found an injured baby bird that she brought home knowing i have nursed a few hurt animals back to health. I grew up around animals because im from the "country" and lived on a farm ha ha. I have researched trying to figure out exactly what our little friend is but still not entirely sure. when he came home his toe/foot was injured and he could not walk. He still had the yellow hairs coming out of his head and some on his body. I assume it was no more that a few weeks old when he arrived to me. I made him a mixture of stuff to eat and he has been eating from a injector with a rubber glove finger cut out. After a week he now has started acting like my rehab is worked he is walking and flying. I do carpentry and i built him a very nice enclosure in the garage that is 4' x 3' x4' tall. I just need some help as to what to expect, what kind of bird it is, anything i might can do different. here is a few pics of what i been doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Very cute almost a month old pigeon. What are you feeding him, and how much?
The cage is very nice. You did a good job with it.
If you could put in more of a shelf. They prefer that to a branch. They normally roost on flat surfaces. And if you remove the leaves from the bottom so that he can walk around better, that would be good. I guess you've done a good job with him. Have you named him?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can't see it but he has a 1' x3' shelf under the roof. He usually flys up there when i put him back in. what funny is i mad it similar to the very large ones i have seen. The mixture that he seems to like most is this stuff i bought at the pet-smart for birds like an protein mix with seeds and some other stuff, one or two drops of bird vitamins mixed with an ensure type liquid and warmed to around 99 degrees, then i put a little almond milk in to make it a little runny. he seems not to like it if its firm. i cut the end out of a injector needle and he eats 2-3 whole tubes 1-2 times a day depending on if he wants it or not. usually he just fly's to a tool box i have in garage when he doesn't want anymore. I have a small bowl of rice, oats, dove/pigeon food in his cage but he seems to never be interested in it. i have two small bowls of water on in his upper loft and one under a small platform, so he doesn't poo in it, on the floor. also i have a small 30w red light that i shine in the bottom he sits in front of some times. its about 80-85 in my garage all the time, but we open the garage doors when we are out there. Few questions though, what do i need to expect in the coming months? Any other suggestions on how to make his stay better? What exact kind of pigeon is it? Boy/Girl? Right now he follows me pretty much everywhere i go and will sit on my shoulder no matter what i am doing, when hes had enough he usually just fly's over to his tool box and sits and squeaks. Its kinda cool just didn't know if I was supposed to be doing more with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its roost is under the shingle part about 1/3 of the total enclosure. I had a shirt of mine up there that it was kinda sitting on but it got dirty and i removed it. The leaves are all cut off a tree one at a time and i have them pretty much like "leaf carpet" to make cleaning easier but if i need to take them out i will.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh mess, another big question i had is no matter how i try to clean his beak, and his chest from eating, he is a very messy eater, i cant quite get it all off. im afraid i will hurt it or i will do something wrong suggestions there would be helpful

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The higher roost is more like a nest box then a perch, which is fine, but a lower flat perch rather then the branch, where he doesn't have to grip to stay on. I'm not sure how much of the cage the branch fills, but he does need room to flap his wings. The leaves do make it harder for him to walk around, and with the sand, it must be pretty easy to clean anyway.
As far as cleaning him after eating, all you can do is to wipe him down with a damp towel after eating. He should be weaning to seed soon anyway. Is there a way for him to take a bath when he is ready? Pigeons love to bathe. Something large enough to fill with a couple of inches of water that he could get into and splash around.
A pigeon that age should normally eat 3 times a day. Once is not enough, and 2 not really enough either. But always wait till the crop empties to feed again. A pinch of probiotic, or just a bit of yogurt added to his food would be helpful, as he needs that for good gut bacteria.
Kay-Tee exact baby bird mix is good to feed until he is weaned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.