Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I found this baby bird near a tree on a busy road. It was not able to fly and I could not see any other parent bird around. It was trying to jump and get into the road, so I had to pick it up and now its with me at home. I think this is a baby cuckoo (koel).. am I right ?

The bird looks terribly tired and was not even keeping its eyes open for a long time :( it was just dozing off in my hands. I took it the vet clinic and they dint find any problems with this bird, except that it is a young one and needs rest and food. If this is a cuckoo (koel), does anyone know what food can be feed to this baby? I am keeping this bird warm. Tried feeding it Luke warm water mixed with honey, it drank it (approximately 20 ml), but soon I noticed it started pooping. It was very very watery, may be since it might not have eaten any solids?

I need your help since I don't any prior experience in handling such young babies. I am worried I might loose it:( please let me what should I feed it, how do I take of it.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Can you post a picture that isn't quite as close up and next to a recognizable object, such as a pop can, so we can get an idea of size?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Follow the usual protocol of warmth and rehydration before feeding.

Obviously this is not a bird that I have any knowledge of, but this is from Wikipedia:

Diet
The Asian Koel is omnivorous, consuming a variety of insects, caterpillars, eggs and small vertebrates. Adults feed mainly on fruit. They will sometimes defend fruiting trees that they forage in and chase away other frugivores.[32] They have been noted to be especially important in the dispersal of the sandalwood tree (Santalum album) in India. Large seeded fruits are sometimes quickly regurgitated near the parent tree while small seeded fruits are ingested and are likely to be deposited at greater distances from the parent tree.[33] They have a large gape and are capable of swallowing large fruits including the hard fruit of palms such as Arenga and Livistona.[5] They have occasionally been known to take eggs of small birds.[34][35]

Cynthia

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
plus his tail is long a baby would have a shorter tail.
i would keep him hydrated by giving him water or pedialyte (not sure what it's called in your country) one drop on the tip of his beak at a time, it may take 2 drops for it to wick into his mouth, make sure he swallows before giving him more.
keep him quiet and warm, do you have any wildlife hospitals where you are??

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Dev,
You can soak some dog/cat food and give it to him.
Other option is to boil egg and carrot in water until egg becomes hard and carrot soft. Take yolk and mush it with carrot (do not forget to give it warm, not too hot).
These birds are omnivores and they can eat almost everything, but I would give small quantities in the beginning.
Water and honey is good. You can also feed small pieces of fruit in the beak.
Treat her for parasites too.

P.S. It is Asian Koel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Koel

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for responding.

Yes looks like it is a koel for sure. Charis, you are right...will take a pic with a relative object so that you all can get its size right.
I really don't know if it's a baby...but i think it is judging by its size. Will need a better picture on that.

@altgirl35: I am from India...yes we do have a few animal shelters here but i am keeping that as the last option. Want to give it some rest and initial care before handing it over to them.

@feefo: i am keeping it hydrated by giving it a mixture of water and honey..thanks to your earlier posts :) (learnt it from you all). And yes keeping it warm too.

Just wondering what to feed it :confused: I don't know if it would eat grains...i can try. Plus as plamenh suggested can give it egg yolk and carrots. Since they are mainly insectivorous birds, wondering what to do.

Will take another pic and post it. Thanks all

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
he might not want to eat on his own, but you can try to soak some dry dog or cat food, hard boil or scramble up an egg and break it up in bite sized pieces.
blueberries, chopped up grapes, strawberries.
not sure what you have for pet stores but maybe they sell crickets and mealworms.
do you have any trees or bushes that have berries on them that these birds like?? you can go cut a few branches with berries on it for him.
if he won't eat on his own, he will need to be force fed, not an easy thing to do with an adult wild bird, you have to carefully pry the beak open, they usually resist, get it slightly parted then keep light pressure for a few seconds then you will feel his jaw relax and you can open it up more, don't put to much pressure on the tip of the beak keep it towards the side, the tip could break off and push one blueberry in one at a time letting him swallow each one before making him eat another one.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The Asian Koel is omnivorous, consuming a variety of insects, caterpillars, eggs and small vertebrates. Adults feed mainly on fruit. They will sometimes defend fruiting trees that they forage in and chase away other frugivores.[32] They have been noted to be especially important in the dispersal of the sandalwood tree (Santalum album) in India. Large seeded fruits are sometimes quickly regurgitated near the parent tree while small seeded fruits are ingested and are likely to be deposited at greater distances from the parent tree.[33] They have a large gape and are capable of swallowing large fruits including the hard fruit of palms such as Arenga and Livistona.[5] They have occasionally been known to take eggs of small birds.[34][35]

They feed on the fruits of Thevetia peruviana which are known to be toxic to mammals.[36][37]

These birds were once very popular in India as cagebirds. Feeding even on boiled rice, these hardy birds lived in captivity for as long as 14 years.[43]

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
A bit of egg would seem a safe bet.

Cynthia

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried feeding mashed boiled rice and banana, but he does not seem to be able to swallow anything. He is spitting everything out. I even tried giving it sweet corn broken into small pieces but he din't eat that.

He only response to water mixed with honey that i have been feeding at regular intervals. I have fixed a zero watt bulb just above his carrier so that he can get some warmth. I will again feeding him some food by making it into a very liquidy consistency. Hope the little bird responds better. I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Maybe it doesn't recognise the taste and texture of the food you have tried.

Altgirl has experience of rescuing different species of birds, I would try her suggestions. If you could find food that it recognises, like berries on a branch, it might feed itself.

BTW if you decide on trying live food don't use earthworms, don't give live slugs and if you give maggots make certain that they are clean (no black line).

Cynthia

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
the dog or cat food and eggs, are to mimic the animal based nutrition of insects, insectivores eat such a wide variety of insects there is no way we can mimic it in captivity, but we can offers some insects that are readily available to like mealworms, crickets, waxworms, or composting worms.
it also said that they eat fruit so what grows naturally around your area? i wouldn't feed banana's unless it's a natural food for them, banana's have a lot of potassium and it could be to much for him.
you can also get some jarred baby first foods, like baby chicken or turkey just try to find the ones with little or no salt, the more pure the better.
if this bird won't eat on his own, you should consider taking him to a professional, that has experience and the tools to force feed, so he will have the nutritional support he needs to heal from his injury if he can heal from his injury

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
the dog or cat food and eggs, are to mimic the animal based nutrition of insects, insectivores eat such a wide variety of insects there is no way we can mimic it in captivity, but we can offers some insects that are readily available to like mealworms, crickets, waxworms, or composting worms.
it also said that they eat fruit so what grows naturally around your area? i wouldn't feed banana's unless it's a natural food for them, banana's have a lot of potassium and it could be to much for him.
you can also get some jarred baby first foods, like baby chicken or turkey just try to find the ones with little or no salt, the more pure the better.
if this bird won't eat on his own, you should consider taking him to a professional, that has experience and the tools to force feed, so he will have the nutritional support he needs to heal from his injury if he can heal from his injury
The challenge is finding someone in India that is a wildlife rehabber or even a vet that understands birds and will treat him.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i know, i think he mentioned he knew of a place, force feeding these kind of birds is so tricky, they are so easy to kill when it's not done perfectly, and even then just the stress of being force fed can kill them.
uhh this is tough, i wish he could just bring him over to my house :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks altgirl, Cynthia, Charis and everyone. Banana is one of the naturally grown fruits here. I would try feeding Apples as well. I am very doubtful if I will be able to get any kind of insects for this bird here :(

Regarding the professional vets for birds... is just next to impossible :( We don't have any vet who takes care of birds especially for these types of critical ones. My last option would be to hand over this bird to C U P A (http://www.cupabangalore.org/) but even they are not specialized in treating birds.

The bird liked to be under the light the whole night, I have been feeding water mixed with honey.. I am suspecting it has got a major problem, because apart of from not eating, it still cannot keep it's head straight more than few mins :( it's legs are not strong enough to give it support for standing.. here is the snap and this is how the bird is 98% of the time :(

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
it looks like CUPA treats birds, it might be worth a call to them. poor little bird, keep up the good work, keep him cozy warm and hydrated

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Posture is the same as in PMV affected birds. I don’t know if koels’ do get it, but supportive care is extremely important. You’ll need to find a way to feed it as illness may take some time.
Do you know how to tube feed birds?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts