Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a female tangerine ring neck dove and am looking for a mate for her. Also been reading about roller pigeons and would love to get a pair. Can anyone tell me how this buying online thing works? I've never purchased a live animal by mail so if I can get some information on what to do or expect that would be great...

Please let me know if you have any doves or rolling pigeons for sale, thanks! :)

Barb

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
This site is a good place to see if someone may be near enough to go pick them up..also check craigslist and your local feedstore and paper for any advertisments.. or try to find a local member of one of the national or US club sites... if you do not find rollers or doves near you..what happens is if you find someone who has some for sale, but they are not close.. you ask to get pics emailed and the price of the pair... then if you want them you have to pay for a box which they may have or order one sent to the seller so he can send the birds in the shipping box.. they come to your local post office if they accept live birds and you pick them up there...usually the birds are overnighted to the post and will come the next day..or day after.. the seller should email you the tracking # so you can track their route and see where they are.. the cost depends on how far the seller is from you.. I have paid anywhere from 25 to 45 for shipping not including the box or the birds.. so it does add up..so it is cheaper to find local or drive a bit to go get the birds..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the info! I've tried looking locally but so far nothing...I'm still looking but if I can't get a local hit, I'll just go with the shipping thing...what kind of boxes do they need, any special requirements?

·
Registered
857 Posts
The boxes have to have micro-fiber filters and be rated by the Post Office for shipping live birds.
Horizon Micro-Environments is the largest producer of US Postal legal boxes.
Their website is:
http://www.hm-e.net/products.htm
Most sellers that ship more than just occasionally, should have boxes on hand.
Larger Post Offices typically deliver the birds to the shipping address on the box. Smaller Post Offices are more likely to call for pick-up.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have boxes and rollers. The box is only $8 and will hold up to 6 birds. I also have rollers
forsale. They $30 per pair. If I can help just let me know. Regards Vivagirl

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The only place online that I would really trust is the members here on pigeon talk. Reasons being that everyone here is friendly, helpful, and won't screw you over by selling you birds that your not happy with. I would make a new thread with the title being "Buying Roller Pigeons near _______ " (the blank being where you live). If there is someone close by this is great cause then you don't have to pay for shipping, the birds don't get stressed, and you find a new friend that lives nearby that can help you out every now and then when needed.

I would go with this method first. If you don't find any solid results, see if anyone on this site can ship you some birds :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I really hope no one would put 6 birds in a 2 bird box.... make sure the box is for the intended amount of birds....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey Dud Iam Also New But From What I Know Call That Keith C Guy He Is From Dayton Ohio---he Has A Lot Of Good Info In His Head--dont Know Personally Just From The Form--every Thing Is Good About Him And My Opp Is That He Will Get You Started On The Right Foot---i Know That Is Where Iam Going When Things Are Right For Me. Just My Two Cents Worth Later--ron

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't buy any rollers unless you see them fly. Find some fliers in your locale and buy one or two pair. I am sure that someone would probably give you a pair if you are getting started. You buy through the mail you do not know what you are getting. It is better to see the birds in person and even pay a little more for good birds. Plus you will meet local pigeon people who can help you and give you leads. Find a local flying club and contact them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Am new am lost ;)

Hi guys..I know am probably posting in the wrong place,But i did try and find how to start my own thread.Sorry for any inconvenience .Am just starting to make a couple of kit boxes as i intend on keeping some hopefully decent flying and rolling pigeons ;)I am from the U.K and near a town called Newcastle..I was just wondering if there is anyone on here from the U.K? I will be just staring out with the rollers so any help and information would be greatly appreciated. Best regards............ Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts