Pigeon-Talk banner

Need Info

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Big T 
#1 ·
How does the racing pigeon system work

#7 ·
Rooster4 - You'll find a lot of great threads on this site that will answer all if not most of your questions. Do a search at the top and begin the soaking it all in process. I know it's easier to just ask sometimes but a lot of the members here have typed the same answers over and over agian and it's very time consuming. Hope you find your answers and by no means is this reply an attempt to discourage you from asking questions! We love to share our knowledge around here!

#9 ·
Hey.
I'm sorry,but you seem completly oblivious.This is pigeon talk, and we (us pigeon folk) are supposed to help. Don't get me wrong, but you seem a little confused.
Start with basic's. A clean loft, which in turn will give you healthy bird's. Change the water as often as you can. Give them good quailty food and grit.Exersise them...A bird that will win will show itself around the loft. Sit there,observe,you'll see it.
I'm no expert, just giving what I know.
I think if you follow the basic's. Pay yer due's. Put the bird in the race, cross ya fingers. And learn, learn , learn.

#11 ·
Racing pigeons is a lot of work...From keeping them healthy and right training..I never join the club or race, so I can not tell you how everything about the race...But the health of the birds and right training will make you succesful, as other fanciers...

What I want to know is when you go to a race what do you do? and how do you know who wins
I will tell you as far as I know...Normally the other members of the club dont go or can not go to the race point....Not because they cant go with the truck but the members who will join the race prepare and have everything ready on the race day...They wait for their birds to arrive after the liberations (the released of their birds)...It will take hours or maybe even the whole day for their birds to get home...They have their electronic clocking ready on the trap door so when the bird/s arrived home the bird will step on the pad and the particular bird will be clocked in on that time, each bird wears an electronic chip ring on its leg...Then the portable clocking device will take to the club and they do calculate whose bird got in/home first...

Think it this way, if you seen or been to a race track of horses who runs the fastest to get to the finish line, wins the derby...Pretty much like the pigeon race...

Now other members will put in their experience and their opinions about your questions so stay tunes on this thread you made and don't touch that remote...:D

#12 ·
Start with the sticky threads at the top of this section. Read all the posts about training. Then you can wade through the hundreds of threads which have been posted over the years. You ask a good question, but entire books have been written trying to answer that one question. It's almost like asking a heart surgeon, how do you remove a heart and implant a new heart. There is no simple response.

#14 ·
Just from the year reading this blog, you guys are very helpful in loft building, feed and water, care and health, training, dangers, breeding... and while you each may have your own methods you value and respect each other opinions, but the second racing in brought up everyone gets vague and blurred on the subject, except with racing stats. LOL. Still love ya and need you.

PS Peewea is alive and well because of all your help

#16 ·
.....and while you each may have your own methods you value and respect each other opinions, but the second racing in brought up everyone gets vague and blurred on the subject, except with racing stats......
Thats because none of us posting in these threads is a International Grand Master, we are all still learning and trying to improve our game ! :p And if we did possess some "secret" knowledge on a particular matter regarding racing, the odds are we really would not want to share that bit of information with the whole world....:rolleyes:

#15 ·
Big T, Racing is so involved to right one post on it would be silly. i act like i disagree with some on here, but i do not,i just have my own handling methods as they do. Each strain, does have it's quirks to a point.
The reason i loved racing so much is you get out of the birds what you"create" with the breeding, and MOST of all, training.
I was always "different" than anyone else in my club, as far as Management went, but with my "FREE' birds, shack like lofts, i gave them a run for their money, boy did i piss some guys off! They laughed when they first saw my lofts, before i flew against them. They got mad when i gave them a run for their money, and i spent about 50% less than they did too do it.
Personally i prefer "Homers" to racers. I would rather place 10th in a rough, smash 300 than first in a "BLOW" home 200. I always wanted birds, the U.S. Army would have wanted if i had pigeons during WW1, and WW2 JMHO Dave

#17 ·
Luckyt, well said. I guess we all are in it for personal reasons. I do know Rooster4 asked a very broad question and I have spent a year just learning the basics in care and treatment of Homers. I give myself maybe a year before I think I am ready to put up the time and money losing races to learn about racing. I think that is the best answer, join a club, get some birds, look listen and learn then maybe we can grow up to be as smart in racing as Warren's wife. I for one want her birds to WIN.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.