Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Taylor needs medication for the canker that just showed up last night in her mouth :(
Does any one have one tab of Spartrix or other canker/trich medicine they could send!?
I'm going to Oregon for the holidays and no vets/feed stores seem to carry it around here.
I'm really worried about her.
I think between the Pox and now going thru her molt, that her body is stressed and her immune system is down.
Please help if you can. I love my little Taylor!

I will pay you back for the shipping and pill plus more!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You need more than one spartrix to do the job. One pill is for maintenance. To cure, you need to treat for 5 days in a row.
You can look for metronidazole often found as Fishzole.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I can send you some pills. I know if I send it express they won't deliver it to a mail box, so I guess I will just send it regular mail. I can send you 3 pills. plus it will take probably a couple days to get there. I would hate to send it there if you are only going to be there for a couple of days, that means I would miss you. So please let me know. plus I need a name for the envelope, pidgie-girl I don't think will do. lol min

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you so much!!!! I talked to my mom and she said we could put off the road trip till the pills come! She loves Taylor too :)
I wish I had a house address, but everyone lives in the country here so they need P.O. boxes :/
Thank you again SOOOOOOOOOO much!!!!! Taylor sends preens and coos!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
pidge-girl, I told you on Nov. 28 that your bird had canker. He has had it for a while, and will probably need more than three pills. It may very well take a bit longer to cure it. You had better order some.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Or, as has been mentioned, you can buy fishzole at most fish stores. It's metronidazole, and will treat canker. That would be faster than waiting for the mail, and he needs to be treated for longer than 3 days, so you will need more than 3 spartrix.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pidge-girl, I told you on Nov. 28 that your bird had canker. He has had it for a while, and will probably need more than three pills. It may very well take a bit longer to cure it. You had better order some.
She did not have canker in November. Remember when I said I took her to the vet and had them check specifically for it.
She just recently got it due to her immune system being so low because of her pox and her first molt and the stress from moving.
I am going to order some, but I do not have the time or the money to do it right now, and because I am leaving for Oregon soon, I can not get it in time.
I know my bird better then anyone does, you cannot tell me that she has had it for a long time, I have lab results from the vet that show she did not have it. I look in her mouth 4 times a day when I feed her. I know Taylor really well. and she is a she by the way.
It is very small right now, about the size of a pin head on the inside of her lower beak. I want to catch it soon and I think it is wonderful that Min is willing to help.
We are all on here for one reason so we should all help each other, not try to prove each other wrong.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are no fish stores or even pet stores within a hundred miles of where I am. There is a feed store but they do not carry it, I already checked :(
Thank you though. Mail is my only option.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I will send it out today. I just want to help instead of punishing someone because someone thinks they didn't listen. I know you love taylor and would do anything for this little pigeon with the scissor beak that needs so much care that probably very few people would have given her so much care and love. I'm glad you do and have and will do anything to help her. min

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
I would think most Drug Stores have Metronadzole--I got my Dentist to give me a perscription. Let my insurance pay for it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I will send it out today. I just want to help instead of punishing someone because someone thinks they didn't listen.

Excuse me Mindy, but that would be me. And I don't THINK that she didn't listen. She DIDN'T listen. That was two weeks ago, and the bird had it then. And I'm not saying that she should be punished. Just that she should have listened then and looked at the symptoms. She could have had the meds a week ago. Hopefully a lesson learned. So don't start with me.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Yes Jay-3 I have give-up trying to help people who ask questions on this site.After Racing 31 years I have learned "what is not good--don't try that again". I only tell them what I know will work/cure their problems. not something I THINK will solve the problems. And we still get shot down. So I keep my mouth shut--let them learn like you and I did. Some of the answers will lead you to believe THAT water will run up-hill .

I often wonder how I managed to keep 2 cock birds alive for 20 years.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well, ya know, some people just don't listen, because they know everything already. So why do they bother to ask?:confused:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Jay 3, I'm not starting with you, I just want to help out taylor. Thats it, I'm not here to say she is lying about if taylor had a canker or didn't have a canker. I really don't think it is worth argueing over. Okay, lets say she didn't listen, she still needs the pills. She seems pretty knowledgeable when it comes to what Taylor has been through, if she says she didn't have a canker I'm not going to call her a liar I'm just going to help her out and hope the bird gets better. Its the holidays and instead of making someone feel bad I just want to get the pills to her. Thats it.

AND SPIRIT WINGS, NO NEED YELL!! I sent her five pills is that enough?? If not, tell me so I can send her more. min

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Well, ya know, some people just don't listen, because they know everything already. So why do they bother to ask?:confused:
You and anyone else who's sniping - please cool it.

There's an old saying that when you point the finger there are three pointng back at you.

This pigeon may have canker, may have a different problem. Pidge-girl said

It is very small right now, about the size of a pin head on the inside of her lower beak.
So where on the lower beak? Is it towards the front of the mouth/beak or nearer the throat? It may be canker, yes, but depending where it is it could just possibly be a fungal infection or something else.

If it is canker, then a couple of queries ...

1) I'm not sure about this 5 day treatment with Spartrix. Is that in the manufacturer's instructions - I don't have them? Personally, I haven't seen a reference to that regimen anywhere but on PT, but that doesn't mean it isn't documented somewhere. It is marketed as a one off treatment as far as I know (and I don't know everything!) and the FDA's product tests appear to support that. One pet meds UK site does say "Dosage 1 tablet per adult pigeon (i.e. 10 mg per pigeon). Half tablet per young pigeon. A single dose is usually sufficient. Cases which do not respond within 3 days may be treated again. Consult your veterinary surgeon if symptoms do not regress after the second treatment"

2) Someone referred to loss of feathering around the throat area, I believe, as a 'symptom' of canker. I haven't seen that in any textbook, or observed it personally. Is there a reference for that somewhere? If so, I'll add it to my knowledge base.

John

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
John, everyone knows that one pill is for maintenance, it takes at least 3 days, and usually longer to cure canker. Also, most DO recognize the feather loss on the throat as a symptom, and the bird was throwing up seed. A single dose isn't going to cure it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You can check it out here.

pigeonperson
6th February 2007 09:57 PM

Spartrix is an antibiotic. One pill won't completely cure the disease. It has to be maintained in the blood level for a number of days in order to kill most of the trichomonads. It's the same thing with what we usually think an antibiotic is. Nobody would expect to take one pill and be cured. What you read is wrong or is the direction for a prophylactic dose. Give it for 5 days straight. If the bird is having difficulty in swallowing the pill, cut it in half and give it in two halves.

Someone at Animal General Hospital called me some time back and asked how I dose with Spartrix. I said I give 4 pills, one pill for each of the next 4 days. To verify what I had said, they put a call into the Raptor Trust and were told that the dose given is 5 pills. If the Raptor Trust gives 5 pills, I went to the same amount and have been doing that since.

If you have a probiotic, I suggest giving it to the bird at the same time. It helps reduce the possibility of a yeast buildup because like any other antibiotic, Spartrix will upset the natural gut bacteria.

Here's the link. You can check it out.

http://pij-n-angels.forumotion.net/search.forum?search_author=Larry+Cologne&show_results=

1 - 20 of 43 Posts