Pigeon-Talk banner

Need Rehabber in NJ Cat Attack

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  altgirl35 
#1 ·
I was working on my car and saw a cat so went to call the cat cause I'm a sap and don't think pets should be outside. Was gonna see if it was friendly cause its a bad neighborhood to be out. I saw it walking and following a Pigeon. The cat ran when I was there but the pigeon started coming towards me and then turning and I kicked the fence to scare it off but it wouldn't fly away. I couldn't get in the fence to get it until I heard someone say the other door is open. I got in and she said the cat got the bird. I cornered the bird and got it. Walked back to my house real quick dropped him off. Its in a carrier in my livingroom. I won't be home for another 2 hours. I have him warm and quiet. He doesn't want to fly and only tries to get away for a minute before he gives up when I was holding him. I have't checked for puncture wounds.
I am in North East NJ. Any rehabbers for birds on here or experienced memebrs who want to care for him?
In the meantime I have baytril injectable, TrimaSulpha SP, Clavamox pills, and I think thats it. Not sure how to inject a bird... though willing to give it a shot. I've done almost everything else. I am a rehabber for mammals. If someone can explain how or what, we can get him done.

#4 · (Edited)
I have been keeping the bird warm. nCasnnot get him to eat/drink. Has a hard time balancing and keeps his head necl twisted and upside down on the floor while body is in upright position. He is not well. If I call animal control they will tell me to put him outside if they by chance pick him up they will pu thim down.
Anyone around here with experience please contact me.
Contact info sent

#5 ·
Anyone around here with experience please contact me.
Contact info sent
SquirrelGirl, can you PM or email me your contact info? There is a pigeon rehabber in Monmouth County who might be able to help. It's a good idea to get this bird started on Clavamox ... 125-150mg/kg BID.

#8 ·
did you find any injuries on her yet?? do you think the cat got her?
you can also use baytil it 15mg/kg
here's a couple of videos on how to pea and corn pop a piji that will work until you can get some kaytee exact and how to tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1SO0ZJoow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HulTENCRFvU&NR=1
only thing with the tubing is i would use a slightly smaller tube and pinch it when i pull it out.
i normally use a feeding needle and i love them but you would probably need to order one they sell them here if you interested
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/product/577/stainless-steel-feeding-needles.htm
i use a 14g curved for adult pigeons

#10 ·
You can give the bird 1/2 pill, one time a day for 10 days. It's very lucky fior the bird you have the baytril.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.