Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My daughter found a pigeon-it is black and white- and it has what I think is a broken wing. Not sure where it is broke but the wing drags on the ground when it moves. I can't seem to find any wounds and he is eating the the goldenfeast cockatiel seed we gave him and is drinking. So...I am in South Dakota and the closest avian vet is 4 hours away. The vets around here have no experience with birds. Do I try and wrap it with vet tape following the broken wing advice on this website? Probably a good chance it won't be flying again? And if we need to keep it-how much food does it need a day? And it is in a dog kennel right now-I really don't want to bring it inside as I have no way of knowing if it is carrying something and I have a cockatiel and kids. So try and build a cage? Yikes--sorry I am bombarding with questions but I need some information and any advice you can give! Thanks so much for any help! Shannon

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Shann, thanks for trying to help this guy out and welcome to Pigeon-Talk.

Here are a couple of links to get you started one explaining some issues with breaks and some links showing how to wrap a wing. The links show essentially the same thing, but from different perspectives.

It would be best to get a few photos up before you wrap the wing so we can see the position it is held in. Take a photo directly overhead and one from the side. With food and water, just keep his seed dish toped up and same with his water and he will eat what he wants. If you get to the pet store I am sure he would appreciate if you find him a bag of pigeon/dove mix. Also, in all the time I have been hear I have yet to hear of a rescued bird, no matter how ill making the caregiver, their children, or pets ill with anything, so you have very little to fear this way.

http://www.duckpolice.org/BirdWeb/PigeonResourceWeb/brokenwing.html
http://www.parrotchronicles.com/features/firstaid/firstaid.htm
http://ccwr.org/membership/members_only/2010_Symposium_Handouts/Duerr_Bandaging_Techniques.pdf

Good luck with him,

Karyn

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trying to help...

Thanks for the response! I will try to get pictures up--things are hectic this week. I talked to a vet that is about 5 hrs away and they said that wrapping probably won't do much good as we don't know what part of the wing may be broken because no one can do an xray around here. I just love living in the boonies...:rolleyes: I also can't find any pigeon food. So I kind of made my own mix. However, do they need grit? I am finding conflicting opinions. If they do, the only kind I can get is the rock grit. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
They need grit, but no immediate need for this, as this guy will almost surely have some in his ventriculus (gizzard) right now. The real concern is the wing, if the break is fresh he stands the best chance of getting use of it back to some degree if we don't delay longer in figuring out what is wrong, and ASAP, need photos to start. Often times we don't need an xray to get things lined up as best as possible and get the wing wrapped, they heal real fast so delays will cause the wing to possibly heal in a position where he will not get much use from the wing.

Karyn

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Need help with housing a disabled pigeon...

Hi, I need some help. We have a pigeon that broke it's wing and as a result will never fly. Problem is that I don't know how to house it. Obviously it doesn't need flying room, however what should the floor be made out of? Is wire hard on the feet? I don't want it to have to be in it's droppings. How big does a pigeon need? I would appreciate any advice--right now it's in a large dog kennel. Thanks! Shannon

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need some help please!

Help! I have a feral pigeon that broke it's wing and won't fly again. I am trying to find out the best way to house it. I am wondering if something http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom/index.jsp?productId=3402796 like this would work inside the house. Would it be happy inside? I have a cockatiel for company? Not in the same cage of course. Please I need some help with this. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Help! I have a feral pigeon that broke it's wing and won't fly again. I am trying to find out the best way to house it. I am wondering if something http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom/index.jsp?productId=3402796 like this would work inside the house. Would it be happy inside? I have a cockatiel for company? Not in the same cage of course. Please I need some help with this. Thanks!
how old is the break in the wing ?
you would be surprised at what they can recover from, and how quickly.
maybe you could post some pics ?
Yep a cage like that would do, but put a brick in the bottom for it to perch on, and instead of the ladder, just a flat piece of wood with a few rib steps on to help it grip. pigeons feet prefer flat surfaces.
you could make its nest in the top section, as long as it could get up & down to its food and water on the bottom.
Pigeons make great pets & although it may like the company of the cockatiel, but be careful, dont let them out together without supervision. A cockatiels hooked bill could do serious damage to a pigeon, even playfully.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hi, I need some help. We have a pigeon that broke it's wing and as a result will never fly. Problem is that I don't know how to house it. Obviously it doesn't need flying room, however what should the floor be made out of? Is wire hard on the feet? I don't want it to have to be in it's droppings. How big does a pigeon need? I would appreciate any advice--right now it's in a large dog kennel. Thanks! Shannon
I think what you have it in now is just fine and the wire floor in those dog kennels are a little large so I would maybe put some 1/4 to 1/2 in square hardware cloth on the bottom for now or even newspaper would work but will be a little messy :D For the long term I would look at getting a a LARGE rabbit hutch or something like that?? Good Luck....

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Even if it wasn't a " double decker " It's pretty close to perfect ......the width of that cage is great and would suit a pigeon well . I love the wide door too .......free and easy access to come and go as it pleased .

How do I get one :D

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
No probs

That is strange that a normal vet doesn't carry clavamox .

It shouldn't be too long before someone will be along and be able to give you some sound info on the wing including meds/dosing per weight of the bird

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Shann8576,

You need to carefuly examine the injured Wing, and, determine where, and if it is in fact broken, and, if it is broken, what the disposition are of the ends of the broken Bone.

Possibly these are Pellet Gun perforations, or, could be something else, but, extend the Wing, and, gently feel the length of all the Wing Bones between finger tips, and try and get some sense of the structure, and, of what does or does not belong there as for lumps or swellings or looseness.

http://idahoptv.org/dialogue4kids/images/season10/prey/wingdiagram.gif

http://qp-society.com/qpserc/ercimages/wingbone.gif

If the holes you are seeing are from the Bone ends breaking out through the skin, then, this needs to be known.

You can have someone hold the Bird vertically in front of a strong Light, Bird facing you, so that you can then gently extend the Wing and 'see' through it somewhat frmo it's underside, in order to try and evaluate where the Break is, and, how the ends of the Bone appear to be situated.

Please post some images of the Bird, and, of any details of the Wing you can manage.

Also please, post some good close up images of their freshest poops.

Best wishes!

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
You can order Amoxycillin from either Foys.com or Jedds.com online. I would suggest having it quick-shipped.

Clavamox = Amoxycillin + clavalonic acid. The Amoxy is the active med, the clavonic acid basically acts to increase the absorption of the Amoxy, so regular ol' Amoxycillin is a good enough stand-in for Clavamox.

I would go ahead and get some..bone breaks are prone to bone or soft-tissue infections.

The likelihood is that scar tissue will grow in and will stabilize the broken joint area...sort of create it's own bridging to keep the whole limb together. But your pal will never fly again. Only way to give that hope a chance would be an x-ray and further treatment by an Avian vet. Then again, the x-ray may also just end up showing that the break is unmendable.

But I would do the Amoxycillin. Also, if it seems she/he is in any pain, you can also give some liquid Ibuprophen (Children's Motrin, Children's Advil) via syringe, just as a mild painkiller and anti-inflammatory. .02cc per 100g of bird (so a skinny Feral pigeon might weigh around 200-250g), 2x day if you like.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
HI Shannon,

In order for the Wing to be able to heal...it will have to be stabalized or 'set'.

In order for this to occur, you will have to provide details about the break, and, various of us here will see if we can guide you to be able to set the Wing.

If done fairly well, the Bones will heal and knit in a proper alignment, and this is what needs to happen for the Bird's recovery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Help with posting pics of injured bird

Good Grief--I uploaded my pics in an album and found the bb code but how do I get it into my post? I copied the bb code and inserted it but it did not work. Can anyone help me--I have people that want to see this bird and I need the help!:confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Injured Pigeon pics from Shann

Here are some pictures of the injured pigeon I have. I will post more in another thread since this is the only way I can get it to work!:confused::eek::eek:

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Shannon,

Please PM a Moderator to have what is not at least four seperate Threads about one Bird, consolidated into one Thread.

Otherwise this is going to drive everyone nuts!

Lol...

Do the poop images again, try for a clear focus, close ups...

Best wishes!

Phil
Lv

1 - 20 of 55 Posts