Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon, a beautiful pigeon landed just at the edge of our pool. While a bit startled at first, it was obviously so comfortable with humans, my husband and I took a closer look and noticed that it had a dark green band on one leg and a bright green, with numbers on the other. It explored our fenced in yard, seemed to be in search of water, so we freshened the water in the bird bath and even put a little bird seed where it could eat. It did.

We watched this beautiful creature for another fifteen minutes or so, then went in the house, leaving it in the yard (poolside actually). I walked to our screened porch and noticed it on our roof, near the porch. Back inside to prepare dinner. Walked the dog and saw it atop my neighbor's home.

Dinner. A bit of TV and never gave the lovely creature another thought. It seemed healthy and quite capable of taking care of itself.

This morning, we found the remains of the bird at the edge of the pinestraw on a flower bed in the yard. I was crushed. Have wept and fretted like a silly girl at the loss. I guess I should have gone online last night and sought advice. We suspect a cat as don't think a possum or fox could scale our fence. Could have been a predatory bird, but doubt it would still be in our yard.

I am so so sorry to all of you who know and love these birds so......From the bright green band, we would like to pass along this information: AU with a GL under it and the numbers 1385......with 2008.

If there is anything I can or should do from here, please let me know.

Respectfully and with sincere regret and sympathy to whomever cared for this lovely creature,

J L Garr
Johns Island, SC

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to report this bird and I'm sorry that no one has gotten back to you. I've listed the club that the bird is from below. If you will contact Mr. McKinney, he will in turn let the owner of the bird know what happened.
Thanks again.

PS: For future reference, because for the next couple of weeks, there will be quite a few clubs flying their birds over your area,..............if you should find another bird, please try to contain it if you can and feel free to post the band info here. Someone will look up the band info for you. If you can easily pick up the bird, then he's in trouble and really needs your help.;)

Club Name : GOLDEN LEAF RPC
Club Code : GL
Club Secretary : JOHN McKINNEY
City : KINSTON
State : NC
Phone No. : 252-523-7246
Email Address : [email protected]

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for caring for this bird, and I'm very sorry it ended this way and that you had to see it. :( How nice of you to give him food and fresh water. I hope you feel better, I know it's awful to lose even a wild animal you "know".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you each for your kind replies to my post. After exploring your marvelous website a bit more, I uncovered the name of the owner and sent and email. I have yet to hear back, but not everyone spends as much time at their computer as I so will give it another day, then call.

I will definitely keep an eye out for others and even mention what happened to a few neighbors.

It does not escape me that there is a lesson here about humanity that goes beyond even the birds.

Very best to all of you. You have my respect both for your love for these special creatures and for your willingness to share your knowledge and time.

Jennifer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts