Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiii,
i have read many old threads on sexing pigeons and came to know that a needle and a thread can be used to sex pigeons
just take a 12 inch thread and tie to the middle of the needle
then hold the neddle about one inch above the birds back, with thread, if it moves back and forth its a male and if it moves in circular motion its a hen
today i tried it on my breeding pair and i was shocked that its true....
anything that attracts with the magnet [even magnet] can be used instead of needle
how far its true??
has anyone tried it on their birds??

· Registered
691 Posts
:) Nare, We do this here sometimes in baby showers, with a gold neckless about 12 inches from a pregnant woman belly while she's laying down to tell if it's a boy or a girl. Not sure if it's 100% correct but it's fun.

· Registered
29,890 Posts
Fun but definitely not scientific. Something like that is fun, but certainly can't tell you the actual sex of a bird.

· Registered
5 Posts
I used to raise finches and canaries and such. When I was doing so some of the birds I raised were pretty tough to sex when they were young. I ran across an article with instructions on how to make a devise out of a cow magnet. All that I did was take a segmented cow magnet apart and glue two of the segments together with the poles opposing. Then thread a piece of yarn through the center, and just like the needle, suspend it about an inch above the birds back. For me it worked 100% of the time. I would sex young birds and keep track of them as they matured to test the accuracy. I don't know what makes it work but it works. I have used it just recently on a few young chickens and I will track them to test its accuracy on them as well.

· Registered
29,890 Posts
They just need a very small amount of blood from the bird. You can pull a few feathers, and send them in and they can do a DNA test on them.
Sorry...................................meant to write DNA. LOL!

· Registered
108 Posts
All my early years of pigeon raising were where I learnt the needle method, though we used to put the needle through a small cork. As far as I know, it's always held true, BUT it is akin to divining rods and other folklore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts