Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I wouldn't, Falconry requires a lot of space when training their birds, they usually like open space and they won't let their birds eat fresh meat due to bacteria. They usually freeze the meat prior to giving it to their birds. I have a friend in California that raise Falcon and Pigeons at the same time. I know he feed more Hare than birds.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My boyfriend is a falconer so I do have some experience with this topic. No you should not be worried about your pigeons. Falconers do not let their birds fly free unless they are out hunting and that usually occurs in a completely different location where hunting is permited. When the birds are being trained and exercised they are put on a creance (i'm not sure if that is spelled right) but it is basically a super strong cord that allows the bird flight time while still being connected to the falconer, so your birds will be fine even if they are out of the coop while the bird of prey is out.

PS. my boyfriend is under STRICT orders to never feed his red-tail hawk pigeons! :)

spirit wings, falconry is a sport that utilizes a bird of prey to hunt game. The bird is trained to associate the human with food so they will willingly follow overhead when hunting. The falconer will notify the bird when it sees prey and then the catching of the prey is up to the bird. Most involved in the sport don't actually use the game they catch (mice, birds, rabbits, squirrels) as food for themselves but rather for food for their birds. This said, most get involved to observe the natural beauty of the birds hunting and flying.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
It COULD be a good thing. If they teach their falcon/hawk not to bother your birds, then it could very well scare other BOP away from your loft. Especially if it's a big hawk, like a red-tail, which usually dominates the area.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have 2 of my lofts at a friends farm, about 20 feet from his weathering area for his red tailed hawk. I was flying rollers out of one and never lost a single bird to an attack, even though there are a lot of coopers hawks in the area, so Becky is right, it could help protect your birds.
I have met about 60 falconers and been to a lot of meets and they let there birds eat fresh meat off of the bird's kills.
A lot of them use defrosted frozen food for ease of use for the maintence diet.

·
Registered
795 Posts
That's a first for me Too! :eek:
Personally, I feel that Pigeons are Alot More Fun to keep, then any other type of Bird.
I also feel, that Hawks really, are Not, trainable. Not any more trainable then,(example) say, a Lion, or Hippo would be.
Wild animals are just that, Wild Animals.
I won't support any agressive breed of animal as a pet.
If birds of prey were so nessiary, it kinda makes you wonder why they need so much help from our tax paying dollars! :mad:
But, then again, it's nice to see that people are doing there own thing...
Sometimes, theres Better things to Do!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i'm a bit torn about the sport myself on one hand is very cool to be able to get up close to see these amazing birds, on the other hand i hate the fact that they are stolen out of the nest to be doomed to a life in captivity instead of flying free as is there birthright.
i say talk to the neighbor and tell him your concerns i'm sure it will be fine and you will get to visit with an awesome bird at the same time

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
i'm a bit torn about the sport myself on one hand is very cool to be able to get up close to see these amazing birds, on the other hand i hate the fact that they are stolen out of the nest to be doomed to a life in captivity instead of flying free as is there birthright.

i say talk to the neighbor and tell him your concerns i'm sure it will be fine and you will get to visit with an awesome bird at the same time
I agree 100%.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
It depends very much on the kind of person your neighbour is.

We had a sad case here on Pigeon Talk , when someone deliberately set his hawk on his friend's racing pigeons which were out for exercise and considered the photograph of the kill a suitable subject for this forum.:(

·
Registered
857 Posts
Most raptors, in falconry, are not taken from the nest, but instead captured on their first passage flight.
Most of the raptors captured would die of starvation if not taken in by humans, which is why the U.S. Federal government allows them to be taken at that age and not older. Taking them has no noticeable efect on the wild population and is carefully monitored.
In Ohio most of the available capture permits for raptors are not filled.
Most of the falconers I have met have captive raised birds.
The most popular raptors at the meets I have been to are Harris Hawks followed by red tails. Harris hawks are neat because they are social and will hunt in packs.
I think Harris Hawks are a poor choice for hunting in Ohio because they do not fly well in cold weather.
Most of the falconers I have talked to catch very small amounts of game.
I think that if you enjoy watching and working with pigeons, there is a good chance that you will find falconry interesting.
It may seem cruel, but the raptors are doing what they were made for, which has shaped the pigeons we love.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
It depends very much on the kind of person your neighbour is.

We had a sad case here on Pigeon Talk , when someone deliberately set his hawk on his friend's racing pigeons which were out for exercise and considered the photograph of the kill a suitable subject for this forum.:(
geesh that's horrible! i hope they took him to court

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes I agree with Keith. Most of the birds used in falconry are not stolen from the nest as suggested. There are people who will take birds from the nest and raise them and I do DISAGREE with that. I do not think that they should be allowed to do that. However, very few (in proportion to the amount of falconers out there) actually do this because of the lifetime commitment they must make to the bird which is very costly and time consuming.

That said, most falconers will trap a passage bird like Keith said. A bird that is passing through the area on its first migration. They keep it the winter (usually Sept. to Mar.), teach it to hunt successfully, feed it up and get it nice and healthy, and then come spring release it back to the wild. One in 10 or 15 first year red tail hawks survive the winter so falconers are actually helping the bird's chances of survival in the present and the future.

As far as the training, its more of teaching the bird to associate humans with food. The bird is wild and will never be trained in the way we tend to think of a trained animal. All it learns from the falconer is that if it follows the human it will lead the bird to food.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
capturing once they know true freedom is even meaner, i do know it takes a very long time and a lot of training to become permitted to do it so thankfully it's not something anyone can just go ahead and do or would want to do
don't mind my opinion of it i will always stick up for a birds freedom if they are healthy enough to be free

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
capturing once they know true freedom is even meaner, i do know it takes a very long time and a lot of training to become permitted to do it so thankfully it's not something anyone can just go ahead and do or would want to do
don't mind my opinion of it i will always stick up for a birds freedom if they are healthy enough to be free
I hate to poo poo on someone elses "thing" or hobbie, but... yeah, that is something I did not think of till now... wild animals, birds or what ever should stay that way. I do not feel that way with domestic feral animals though, like cats, horses, pigeons?, ... But if they are well cared for, and it is a strictly governed on having them, then perhaps they do not suffer as they can in the wild to find food... I dunno... I kinda have mixed feelings on it, as I do not know enough about the subject to make a decided opinion....ummmm:)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Falconry meets are generally open to the public.
I suggest that if anyone is interested, that they contact their State's Department of Natural Resources to find out when the meets are being held and attend one.
You will get to see some beautifull birds up close and personal and see some spectacular flying.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's a first for me Too! :eek:
Personally, I feel that Pigeons are Alot More Fun to keep, then any other type of Bird.
I also feel, that Hawks really, are Not, trainable. Not any more trainable then,(example) say, a Lion, or Hippo would be.
Why do you feel that they aren't trainable? What does trainable mean to you?

Wild animals are just that, Wild Animals.
I won't support any agressive breed of animal as a pet.
I kind of understand this, but I don't really agree completely.
Any animal is a liability in the hands of the wrong person. It doesn't matter if it is a domestic dog of a calmer breed or a wild caught falcon.
Actually... domestic dogs are probably more frightening. You never know what kind of issues they have. People make them crazy. Horses too. I have known some mean scary stallions... and some good horses that got old and blind and senile and forgot that people were around when they freaked out about something. To be fair, I have been attacked by falconry birds, and assorted cranes and hornbills and such. But domesticated animals still seem like more of a risk to me. Honestly, most people shouldn't have any kind of pet. Wild or not.

I think the (regulated) keeping of wild animals is good in a way I think. We can learn a lot from the animals that can be helpful for conservation. And there are some tasks just better suited to particular species. I know a guy that has used all kinds of wild birds for surveillance and rescue work across the globe. Though he didn't work with falconiforms much, because although they are good at what they do, they aren't as flexible as other birds.

I am kind of against taking falcons from the wild. But... I do like how it is regulated. I think due to the strict regulations, we probably do more good than harm to the birds through falconry. I do think we should strive to have a captive breeding program, instead of taking wild birds if we are going to keep them.

As far as the training, its more of teaching the bird to associate humans with food. The bird is wild and will never be trained in the way we tend to think of a trained animal. All it learns from the falconer is that if it follows the human it will lead the bird to food.
I disagree with this. The birds don't just follow people, they fly back to your hand. They aren't trained to do tricks...
But they do hunt animals with out eating them, and let humans take their kill. And they fly with out a leash... Its a lot more than most people's dogs would do.
I do know a guy that just opens up his truck and his birds fly in, and they drive off to go hunting. He can even tell them to go wait by the truck when they are coming back. He doesn't even use jesses with his birds.

I might take up falconry one day. I don't have any interest in hunting with them... but I like the idea of being able to fly a bird outside with out being paranoid that a hawk is going to swoop down and eat it. I couldn't fly pigeons like the racing people do... Thats just too risky for me.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Kc, Taking Wild Hawks, has NO Effect On the Wild Population, (of Wild Hawks) IT IS CLOSELY MONITORED, By the U.S. Government.
Yea, I believe that Trust me... S$!&#., You Bet!
I've Got A good Idea, If anyone wants to pay their Tax Dollars to Contibute to the Preditor Type Birds in this world, then go for it!
On the other hand, Anyone who Doesn't, want to pay their tax dollars tword preditor type birds, should be able to do that too!
Fair Is Fair. The last I heard, It's a Free country.
CVnon, Have you had first hand knowledge, handleing preditory birds? or is this just hearsay?
Most everyone here has, on a dayly basis, Hands on experiance with Pigeons.
I guess, what I, and a lot of others here don't understand is, How, Exactly, do You, or Anyone else, Take Wild Preditory Birds, and (Try To) Train them, to do what you want them to do, at any time.
It's not feeseable.
It's Not Even Ethical!
If you Two, have never Enjoyed Keeping Domestic Pigeons as a Hobby, or a Sport, or even, just for the Fun of it, then, You Are Truly Missing Out on keeping one of the Best, most Reliable, and Extremely Interesting, and Loyal Pets That the World has to offer!
Learn All You Can About Pigeons!
Keep Asking Questions, afterall, it's the only way to learn!
There are many different kinds of people (from the World over) here, that can help you!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Kc, Taking Wild Hawks, has NO Effect On the Wild Population, (of Wild Hawks) IT IS CLOSELY MONITORED, By the U.S. Government.
Yea, I believe that Trust me... S$!&#., You Bet!
I've Got A good Idea, If anyone wants to pay their Tax Dollars to Contibute to the Preditor Type Birds in this world, then go for it!
On the other hand, Anyone who Doesn't, want to pay their tax dollars tword preditor type birds, should be able to do that too!
Fair Is Fair. The last I heard, It's a Free country.
CVnon, Have you had first hand knowledge, handleing preditory birds? or is this just hearsay?
Most everyone here has, on a dayly basis, Hands on experiance with Pigeons.
I guess, what I, and a lot of others here don't understand is, How, Exactly, do You, or Anyone else, Take Wild Preditory Birds, and (Try To) Train them, to do what you want them to do, at any time.
It's not feeseable.
It's Not Even Ethical!
If you Two, have never Enjoyed Keeping Domestic Pigeons as a Hobby, or a Sport, or even, just for the Fun of it, then, You Are Truly Missing Out on keeping one of the Best, most Reliable, and Extremely Interesting, and Loyal Pets That the World has to offer!
Learn All You Can About Pigeons!
Keep Asking Questions, afterall, it's the only way to learn!
There are many different kinds of people (from the World over) here, that can help you!
I can just FEEL YOUR PASSION for pigeons when reading this :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts