Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

My neighbour built himself a pigeon coop 2 years ago. I've attached a picture.

I started getting these annoying little flies around the same time, they jig around in the centre of the room / area in a fairly random fashion. I think they are lesser houseflies. Initially, I thought they might be coming from my gutters or somewhere so I've had a look everywhere for stagnant water etc but I think it must be from his pigeons

As you can hopefully see in the picture his coop is a fairly ramshackle construction, and from what I can make out he doesn't clean the feces up very often, and in some places where its harder to reach, possibly ever.

I've had a word with him about it a few times and he claims he cleans them out every two days, which I think is boll**ks OR his definition of cleaning is different to mine.

Aside from the annoyance of having these little flies in the house whenever we open the windows on that side, I run a business on the same property and they are getting in there. It's a music studio. People don't like flies so I think it's going to affect my repeat business.

The obvious thing to do is phone the council and let them sort it out. I have spoken to some other neighbours and they are getting the flies as well.

However the pigeon keeper runs a convenience store, and I'm worried the council may come down fairly hard on him, and I want to keep neighbourly relations as cordial as possible.

What I'm wondering is how often and thoroughly people clean out the lofts? How much of a problem flies are? Any other tips or ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
I clean mine once a week but I know people who do it less often and I don't notice any flies. Where you live may have something to do with it. There is a fly called a pigeon fly but being in a colder climate I really do not see them. Are you in a warm climate?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Actually we scrape twice daily and keep it pretty clean, and we don't normally get flies.
I think if not scraped regularly it probably would attract flies though. And I understand how annoying those things are, but can you put window screens in your windows? Where are you located?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Bristol in the South West of England UK.

The flies are only a problem in the summer and worse on hot days. They are Lesser Houseflies. Little suckers that circle fairly randomly around the centre of a room.

Window screens are not any good for keeping them out of the bifolding doors, garden & outdoor seating area in my business.

I kind of presumed that if he thoroughly cleaned all the feces once a week it would be OK, but if you can see the photo, i'm not sure if he ever cleans the higher bits they sit on.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Gee I'm sorry screens won't work in your situation. I don't think cleaning once a week would help really, if that is indeed what is attracting the flies. Are you sure they were not a problem before the neighbor put up his coops?

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
We have neighbors with horses and have a fly problem so put up the fly traps with attractant. There are fly predators available online. If your neighbor were a little more considerate, those things would be something they hopefully would use.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
We have neighbors with horses and have a fly problem so put up the fly traps with attractant. There are fly predators available online. If your neighbor were a little more considerate, those things would be something they hopefully would use.
Good idea cwebster. Maybe that could be suggested to your neighbor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts