Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm actually in the final stages of applying for the loft permit. I'm planning to use the basic design of Lovebird's Widowhood loft, but I'm wondering about the nest boxes. I am planning to put nest boxes in both sections vs. hen boxes in one side, for the simple reason that it seems to make my loft more versatile. I can use either side for my breeders and fliers as the group fluctuates in size. Is that an okay idea? I mean it couldn't hurt, right? Also, are the nest boxes in this loft bigger then most? And what kind of nest fronts should I be putting on? The builder offered to make ones like Lovebird has for $7.50/each is that a good price? Also, is two sections enough? This size loft is already pushing it for the permits allowed in my neighborhood, so the size must stay the same. I can however, tweek the plans if needed.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I designed my loft after Lovebirds loft but I put in three sections instead of two. The loft is 8X16 with three sections of 4X8 and a hallway that is 4X8. I have the breeders in one section, the cocks in one section and the hens in the other section. Here is a front view of the loft.

George

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
So, I'm actually in the final stages of applying for the loft permit. I'm planning to use the basic design of Lovebird's Widowhood loft, but I'm wondering about the nest boxes. I am planning to put nest boxes in both sections vs. hen boxes in one side, for the simple reason that it seems to make my loft more versatile. I can use either side for my breeders and fliers as the group fluctuates in size. Is that an okay idea? I mean it couldn't hurt, right? Also, are the nest boxes in this loft bigger then most? And what kind of nest fronts should I be putting on? The builder offered to make ones like Lovebird has for $7.50/each is that a good price? Also, is two sections enough? This size loft is already pushing it for the permits allowed in my neighborhood, so the size must stay the same. I can however, tweek the plans if needed.
I would go with more sections like George did since this is the only loft you can build. Also, NO, do NOT make nest fronts like the ones in my widowhood loft. No good for breeding in all the time. You need fronts like Georges' and like the ones in the big loft of mine. They need to open up completely....makes cleaning MUCH easier. And the nest boxes need to be big enough to hold two bowls/two rounds.........
Also, you might want to skip the hallway? But I think a small entry way that you can enter without the birds being able to escape is a good idea....don't ask me "how" to do that.......it's just better if the birds can't go sailing over your head when you walk in.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish I could move! I grew up in the country, so I'm not used to all the rules! However, I do like our city and I like our house. I don't know if it's good or bad to have a permit. I think our city made enough hoops to jump thru that only a serious pigeon person would attempt it. I've been working on this since November, but I'm the first to try to legalize everything. The other pigeon owners just operate illegally and hope they don't get caught. After all my work with the city it shouldn't be so hard for the next person, which was my goal. ;)

Avion, do you have a way to take video of your loft? Would you mind doing a video walk-true for me?? I'd love to see how you set everything up? I was considering having a non-pigeon person build my loft, but I don't know (as a beginner fancier) if I'm going to be able to explain everything to this poor builder. :(

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, I'm thinking about the whole 3 sections thing... I like the basic lay-out as it is. I like the hallway idea because I can store my supplies in there. So what about dividing the loft this way...

I like option #1 because once the birds aren't YB's anymore I could just open the door between the sections. However, if I did things that way I'd need two traps on that side. I figured I would put a divider in the aviary on that side vs. having two aviaries. Anyone have any input on this way of doing things?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I think the reason why you don't want to put nest boxes similar to the breeding section is to prevent the hens from mating with each other.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're right Rod. That does make sense. However, if I divide it like my little drawing shows, then what?... Where would you put everyone?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I think the reason why you don't want to put nest boxes similar to the breeding section is to prevent the hens from mating with each other.
The "boxes" are really perches, not boxes. They're only 4 inches wide, so the hens don't nest in them. They just nest on the floor.......LOL

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I would make the breeder section just a bit bigger and then divide the other section in half for your flyers. Don't know that you would need two traps though? A divided aviary is good though. One solid wall between the two sides. I would suspect that at some point, you would want to separate the sexes, so it would be easier to do if the aviary has a solid partition.
Somtimes, I open my doors so that the birds can have the whole loft. Hubby gets mad cause they poop in the hallway.....but I tell him, it's THEIR house, not mine. They can poop wherever they want.
You need to decide how many pairs of breeders you plan on having the build the breeder section according to that. You don't NEED a lot of breeders. All of your birds will be old enough to breed from in no time and they multiply FAST!! LOL

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would really only need about 2-3 pairs of breeders, I would think... I am only applying for a 50 bird permit. I do plan to race a little bit. Probably not right away, but sometime in the future I'd like to. I do want to have GREAT birds, so I will probably buy one or two high quality pairs. How big of a breeding loft would I need if I had 2-3 pairs? Or is 2-3 unrealistic? Also, where would I put young birds in the loft set-up your described, lovebird?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone else??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts