Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

Icarus has a big guinea pig cage that he sleeps in at night. I let him out and he likes to hang out on the bookcase during the day, or on top of his cage. He goes in and out of his cage on his own.

Does he need a nest box inside his cage? He sleeps on the perch, but I'm wondering if he should have some kind of an enclosed area, too. :confused:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you could always try it and see if he likes it. being a single male, he really does'nt need one, but heck try it anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know for sure if "he's" a male or not. He's very young, was still squeaking a few days ago.

How do I go about setting up the box? How big should it be? He's a street bird I rescued. His cage is about 17" d X 27" w X 17" h.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cute little bird. I noticed he has lots of windows for sunshine, which is nice, as long as he has a way of getting out of the sun if he gets too warm, and needs too.
That window is in a corner and sticks out; it's a bay window. The part his cage is in faces north, so it doesn't get any sun.

He threw a tantrum today when I closed the cage door on him. Stomped all around, threw his seeds all over, and kept looking over the edge of the tray to make sure i was watching. Then he'd give me the stink eye. I never knew a pigeon could throw a tantrum! That's why he looks so sulky ...I took the pic right after his tantrum.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
That window is in a corner and sticks out; it's a bay window. The part his cage is in faces north, so it doesn't get any sun.

He threw a tantrum today when I closed the cage door on him. Stomped all around, threw his seeds all over, and kept looking over the edge of the tray to make sure i was watching. Then he'd give me the stink eye. I never knew a pigeon could throw a tantrum! That's why he looks so sulky ...I took the pic right after his tantrum.
oh those terrible teens!...:p LOL...:)

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Oh yes, pigeons can throw tantrums. They're something else. It's usually the males around here. When they're trying to drive a hen back to the nestbox, and she isn't impressed, and goes the other way instead. Or if I'm out giving treats, and a particular one gets pushy, and I remove him and put him down somewhere else. Different things. You should see the tantrums they can throw. If I return the yougun' to his cage, who is currently in the house, and he/she isn't ready to go back. They're really little characters. Lots of personality.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
By the way, just to let you know, the perch he is on is good because it is square and not round, but he would love a board to perch on. Something he doesn't have to hold onto. When I have them in a cage, I put in a board that they can sit on, and they will even lay down on it. If you were to make another perch like the one he has, then place them spaced apart in the cage, and place a 4" wide board over the top of them, that runs the width of the cage, he would have a very comfortable little shelf to rest on. They prefer that to a perch. Just an idea.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
By the way, just to let you know, the perch he is on is good because it is square and not round, but he would love a board to perch on. Something he doesn't have to hold onto. When I have them in a cage, I put in a board that they can sit on, and they will even lay down on it. If you were to make another perch like the one he has, then place them spaced apart in the cage, and place a 4" wide board over the top of them, that runs the width of the cage, he would have a very comfortable little shelf to rest on. They prefer that to a perch. Just an idea.
Good idea----I found a board just the right size in my garage. He loves it! It even gives him a spot to sit on outside the cage. You can see in the pic a red circle around a spot on his wing. I think this is hawk damage, since the leg on the opposite side was hurt badly when i found him.

The second picture shows the top of his cage with some toys I made for him. A stuffed mouse that he likes to pull the tail on, a "disco ball", and a pompom. I also put a pan of grit up there for him.

Is he a blue checker or a black checker?

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
That's a lovely young pigeon you've got there, and his cage looks very comfortable.
I'm concerned about the mark on his wing, though, as it appears to be directly over the elbow joint. I treated one like that before; didn't know what was wrong until members here diagnosed Paratyphoid. If that's the case, he'll need a course of antibiotics. Mine recovered fully, but it took some time.

Have a look at the pictures on this thread, and the advice I got:
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/help-needed-with-injured-wing-31264.html?highlight=Noelle

All the best.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
The injury on the shoulder is probably from when he was hurt before you got him. Antibiotics probably would have been good at that point though, just in case. Not sure how long you've had him now.

The shelf is great. Good job! His play area is cute. I'd cover the top with a board though, as I'd be afraid that he would fall through the spaces and hurt his legs. Or, at least a sheet of hardware cloth.

He looks black to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The injury on the shoulder is probably from when he was hurt before you got him. Antibiotics probably would have been good at that point though, just in case. Not sure how long you've had him now.
yes, it was there when I found him. He flies very well, so I don't think it's anything bad---just missing feathers. It was the leg that was bad. He held it up for 2 weeks, and he still favors it a bit. I've had him almost a month now.

The shelf is great. Good job! His play area is cute. I'd cover the top with a board though
Thanx :) I was thinking of that. I think I'll do it when he gets his diaper, so the board doesn't get all poopy.

He looks black to me.
That's what I thought, but I'm unsure of the difference between black checker and blue checker. Pigeon colors are confusing.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Thanx :) I was thinking of that. I think I'll do it when he gets his diaper, so the board doesn't get all poopy.
That's what scrapers are for. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts