Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Breeding is not recommened in winters but you may have your own reasons to breed your pouters.

For me nest bowl shall be used. A bowl 1 foot in diameter might hold good with pouters. There are always advantages in using bowls as nests as eggs don't get trampled and stay in the center. Squabs when hatch also get support from the bowl. And bowls help with the cleaning too. You can use bedding for rest of your breeding pen if you want.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I want to make breeding nest for winter what is the exact dimensions I should use for pouter pigeons
Hey jony, late winter is great esp where you live, the daylight length is getting longer then and the flys/bugs are not as bad . depending on what breed of pouter depends on the room you need. but bigger is always better no matter what. nest boxes big enough for two nest bowls, two adult pigeons and two growing squabs that will be as big as the parents before leaving it is a good start to use to think of size. 35 inches across and 20 inches deep can accommodate that. using nest bowls or just bricks making a square in a corner to hold the nesting materials is up to you. if they find their own twigs I like to let them use those for the brick type set up, if they do not go out of the loft then using disposibles with cat litter and shavings in the nest bowl is fine. of course you don't want to let out pairs that are on fertile eggs and or hatchlings.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey jony, late winter is great esp where you live, the daylight length is getting longer then and the flys/bugs are not as bad . depending on what breed of pouter depends on the room you need. but bigger is always better no matter what. nest boxes big enough for two nest bowls, two adult pigeons and two growing squabs that will be as big as the parents before leaving it is a good start to use to think of size. 35 inches across and 20 inches deep can accommodate that. using nest bowls or just bricks making a square in a corner to hold the nesting materials is up to you. if they find their own twigs I like to let them use those for the brick type set up, if they do not go out of the loft then using disposibles with cat litter and shavings in the nest bowl is fine. of course you don't want to let out pairs that are on fertile eggs and or hatchlings.
I meant the nest box

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi i spirit I actually moven I move to nj 2 years ago recently got back to my pigis

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well us Cubans try to mix breed between pouter to get the perfect pigeon the Cuban bird perfect flyer not a big crop the balear small nice round crop good selection together make a nice bird

1 - 8 of 8 Posts