Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I came home tonight and checked my birds I noticed one acting very strange. She kept running into another nest that has a squeeker in it, looked like she was trying to hide. She would squat down while the babies mom and dad continually pecked at her. She went out to the middle of the floor, they followed and was joined by 3 other adults attacking her and also a cock trying to mate her at the same time! :confused:
She went back into the nest (that has the baby), everybody followed her and continued their attack (on top of the baby!). I ran in to break it up and rescue her. Picked her up and took her to the other side of the loft to check her out. No marks on her, just a few ruffled feathers. I set her on a perch on the far side. She flew back down, stood there for about 10 seconds, layed an egg in the middle of the loft on the floor,then flew back up to her perch up top like nothing ever happened! I've never seen this behavior before. Was she just looking for a ready made nest to dump her egg?

·
Registered
911 Posts
WOW........that sounds really strange. Didn't she have her own box/nest? Where was her mate? Obviously she was looking for a place to lay her egg. Poor thing took a real beating in the process. Hope she doesn't go through the same thing again with the second egg.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I felt so bad for her.
No, she doesn't have a mate. She is kind of a "loner".
I also have a small cock that was acting very similar the past few days. He is a "loner" also (I don't know why they don't get together).
Whenever one of the parents would leave the nests for a few minutes, he would go right into the nest and preen the baby's (never hurts them), and will lay down with them until the parents return to chase him away.
It's really sad to watch these 2. The cock, "Tootsie" was hand raised by me, I don't think that would make a difference? And this particular hen stands and waits at the door for me to come in and feed.
Very odd behavior from the 2 of them.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I feel so very sad for the both of them. It's sounds like both of them may be bonded to you. Maybe that's way they are both loners. Why don't you try caging the two of them together for awhile. See if they get along, hopefully they might get together.

Are these your georgeous fantails?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel so very sad for the both of them. It's sounds like both of them may be bonded to you. Maybe that's way they are both loners. Why don't you try caging the two of them together for awhile. See if they get along, hopefully they might get together.

Are these your georgeous fantails?
I did think of that, but they don't let the other birds get close to them. They don't fight them off - they either cower down or run away. But I think I'll try it, at least I know they won't hurt each other :rolleyes:
This is "Tootsie" (Cock - tootsie roll because he's brown) He was scalped as a baby, thats why I had to take him out and hand raise him.

And this is the little hen waiting at the door (she's sort of a "peach" color) --should make for interesting offspring!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poor lonely birds........sounds like they would make a perfect pair and have great looking babies. Give it a try Waynette, it might be a match made in heaven.
I think I will, I feel so bad for them - they each need a mate! ;)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Waynette,

Give it a try, and keep us posted! I'm very curious about how this will turn out. I've rescued some feral babies, and always wonder about the effects and extent of any bonding which may take place.

I have one feral, Findi, rescued as a three-week-old or so squeaker missing left wing feathers, on March 5th. He sleeps indoors. Spent one night outdoors on my window ledge in a heavy rain (couldn't see well enough in the dark to come in through the open window), but I can't have him nesting indoors. He spends days out with the flock.

Larry

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi,

I happened to walk in a similar problem this morning.

My little 'single mum' Roly, was pinned down on her back by Poly, the only male, and he was pecking seven bells out of her. She can't fly so couldn't get up to get away.
She has always behaved very provocatively towards him, and when he's on nest sitting duties, Roly always goes down and squats by him cooing like mad. He doesn't want to know and pecks at her head from the nest. She has been known to try and get on the nest. She also walks away and displays for him, which makes him come out and have a go at her.
She has taken over one of the boxes and is sitting as if on a nest, she laid some eggs a couple of weeks ago, and it looks like she's about to do so again.

She is desperate for a mate of her own, and as there is only the one male, she just tries her hardest to attract him, but he is thoroughly besotted with the blue bars and not this lovely little Roller.

I hope your two loners can make a go of it.

Janet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.