Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Pine needles for nesting material? First time I heard of that :confused: I was told to use straw. Could this be.....wrong too:eek: ?

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Pine needles for nesting material? First time I heard of that :confused: I was told to use straw. Could this be.....wrong too:eek: ?
Not necessarily wrong, just probably not the best choice. Long, dried pine needles work very well as nesting material. Another good choice is tobacco stems which can be ordered from most of the pigeon supply houses.

Terry

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I use alfalfa hay, the kind they sell for guinea pigs and rabbits to eat. My aviaries are pretty dry though, so I don't have the problems with damp hay that can occur. I think the pine needles are best, as far as I've heard. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this time of year most everything is frozen. Do the pine needles have to be dry, or will green ones (i.e. fresh picked) be adequite.

·
Registered
582 Posts
DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT IS HOLLOW, IT WILL DRAW THE BUGS!!!!

Pine needles work well enough, but don’t have any natural bug repellant qualities about them......

The best thing I have found for nesting material is Tobacco Stems, Tobacco stems are also able to naturally (without poisons, I.E. bug sprays) repell the bugs from the nesting area. I have been using Tobacco Stems for nesting material for over twenty years now and havn't found anything I like better.

Lawman

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not wrong at all :) , i use to use straws too but i heard it attracts mice and other stuff im not quite sure, but from now on i use only pine needles

·
Registered
672 Posts
I also used dried out long pine needles. I was told that straw can carry unwanted parasites.

·
Registered
672 Posts
you can use pine needles. i usually just put some near the nesting area.
I actually put them in the nest bowls and then the cocks just arrange them how they want and i put it near the nest bowls.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I use a mix.

Straw, Alfalfa, Pine Needles, Tobacco Stems, and Bermuda.

They build the nest with what ever they want and when they are done I put it in a large bowl like dish with Uktaliptous leaves as a linner. Which is supose to keep flies away. They use the nest just like it were what they had originally.

havnt had problems with bugs and the babies come out fine.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Geeze! The only thing I haven't seen on this post is dried tree leaves..:confused:
The straw I use, is in their nests. Not on the floor; not wet. The loft is dry. no mice. I have had my birds since last October. This is the first time I heard of using tobacco leaves for nesting material. I don't think the feral pigeons are so particular about nesting material, and seem to multiply without problems. Sorry, but seems like every thing I have done, built, or used with my birds has been wrong. Again, I am wrong. My birds are all doing just fine. I clean my loft every day, and scrape every day, and I have yet to see any evidennce of mice with the straw. The straw is in a container that is tightly covered anyway, inside and dry. The feed is in a tightly covered container, also dry and inside.:confused:

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Sorry, but seems like every thing I have done, built, or used with my birds has been wrong. Again, I am wrong. My birds are all doing just fine. I clean my loft every day, and scrape every day, and I have yet to see any evidennce of mice with the straw. The straw is in a container that is tightly covered anyway, inside and dry. The feed is in a tightly covered container, also dry and inside.:confused:
Sue,

If your birds are healthy and happy, then you've done a lot of things right. Please don't feel that there is only one way to do things or that what gets posted here is always the gospel of pigeon raising. There is always great advice here on Pigeon-Talk, but as I said .. if your birds are doing well, then you must have done a lot of things right.

Terry

·
Registered
505 Posts
Terry, Thanks for the note. I was beginning to wonder :confused: I do ask questions, and listen to all the advice, but sometimes, I really did wonder. I thought there was more than one way to skin a cat (pardon the pun, my cat won't like that one!) Thanks, Sue

·
Registered
90 Posts
Geeze! The only thing I haven't seen on this post is dried tree leaves..:confused:
The straw I use, is in their nests. Not on the floor; not wet. The loft is dry. no mice. I have had my birds since last October. This is the first time I heard of using tobacco leaves for nesting material. I don't think the feral pigeons are so particular about nesting material, and seem to multiply without problems. Sorry, but seems like every thing I have done, built, or used with my birds has been wrong. Again, I am wrong. My birds are all doing just fine. I clean my loft every day, and scrape every day, and I have yet to see any evidennce of mice with the straw. The straw is in a container that is tightly covered anyway, inside and dry. The feed is in a tightly covered container, also dry and inside.:confused:

If your birds are happy and healthy than you are doing the right thing. I'll tell you the secret of pigeon raising..there is no secret :) All you need is a clean, dry, well vented loft and enough food,grit and clean fresh water than your birds should be very happy and healthy

·
Registered
371 Posts
Straw's no good if you don't keep it dry..... If you can keep it dry I guess it'll work. I put cat litter or sawdust in the bottoms of my bowls and pile the pine needles on top of that. The birds love it.
I've seen birds build nests out of piles of screws left on the floor, I think they can pretty well make due with whatever you give them.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Straw's no good if you don't keep it dry..... If you can keep it dry I guess it'll work. I put cat litter or sawdust in the bottoms of my bowls and pile the pine needles on top of that. The birds love it.
I've seen birds build nests out of piles of screws left on the floor, I think they can pretty well make due with whatever you give them.

I agree, but just try not to give them nails and screws. Seems like it would be quite painful :p

·
Registered
470 Posts
for me i dont used any of those, just the nest bowl, no straw,tobacco,pine leaves or whatever it is... cause no mess and easy to clean and all the first clucth where born seems fined....as long as the loft,water,food container are cleaned....

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"for me i dont used any of those, just the nest bowl, no straw,tobacco,pine leaves or whatever it is... cause no mess and easy to clean and all the first clucth where born seems fined....as long as the loft,water,food container are cleaned...."

Sounds like your birds are easy to please lol. Mine practically insist on having something to make a nest with.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I also use pine needles. The long dead or dried needles from ponderosa pines. I use the disposible nest bowls. I also use nest felts. I have heard that they are harmful, but I have not experienced anything harmful. I cut them down to fit the bowls. The birds build over the felts needles. My hatch rate was 39/40 two years ago and 72/75 last year. I do think the flelts help insulate from the cold. I have a few pair that don't even bother building a nest and just lay on the felts.

I think sometimes when we hear a rumor about something or someones opinion we think it fact. Anything dry and the lenght the birds like will most likely end up in the nest. I threw some weed stems in last year from some tall grassy weeds and they worked just fine.

Randy

1 - 20 of 41 Posts