Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a few fowl stuff nesting boxes. Basically a glorified plastic bucket with the bottom stuck to the wall and a front and perch attached to the front. I need to put something inside because it is slick. Hay? Straw? Large pine chips? Kitty litter? I am putting plastic nesting bowls inside but I need something outside of the bowl.
Thank You!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just placed the dog food bowl inside for reference. I ordered some plastic nesting bowls.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
I think you have them on there side, the top is facing the left? Shouldn't the perch be on the bottom so they can stand on it. I would just use pine needles for nesting the long one you can find every where.
Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about putting a bit of plywood or something over the perch for a more substantial perch area.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some of the pics are a bit of an illusion. The wood on the side looks like floor but that is a wall. The perches are on the bottom.
I like the pine needle idea but where I live, we don't have those long pine needles. Wish I could get some. Folks who sell them are very proud of them
Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input Pete. I'm keeping my eye open for long pine needles. What do you think of the boxes in general? Good bad and ugly.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hey Rich,
They look good and stylish. Your birds will feel secure in them. I saw same type of arragement in a loft on youtube once.
Stiff straw and pine needles would do good as nesting material. How would you place a bowl in there, wouldn't it tumble?
I think there's no need to place a bowl in there. Nesting materials alone will be fine

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might forgo the bowl.Ive been experimenting with trimming down the bowl on the two sides. I can make it work. Maybe I'll try it both ways. Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you look, I secured the boxes to 2x4s which I set on some brackets I made. You can just lift them off the wall and take them outside to clean or even to the car wash.
I do secure the whole thing with one screw through the 2x4 to avoid lateral movement.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'd probably add wood to make a platform. Then pine shavings and then give them tobacco stems. My only concern is that if they don't bring in any nesting material your baby's won't have sides to lean against really.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks. I did find some pine needles that are fairly long right here. 3" to 5". I put them in the bottom and it will work great. I'll post a pic when I get home. I will incorporate a bowl into the needles in two of them.
I have four of these so I will try them for a season and see how they do.
I have read how large nesting areas are something that motivates racing pigeons to home quickly. But I'm not a serious racer. I love to fly my birds and watch them come home. I like quality homers even if I don't race. I only have 11 birds. I'm retired and I enjoy watching them and learning of their nature. Some think I'm nuts, but I look at what many others do in retirement and I think that perhaps they are nuts. To each their own...

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
As long as you put enough needles in it that they can make a nest bowl of sorts, if the nest is slick the young could end up with splayed leg.
Dave

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
They don't generally like the short needles that you have. We have them too, but they ignore them. I have gotten them from a member who lives in Florida and sells them. They do like straw. But if you are going to add a bunch of the shorter needles yourself, then it will get them off the bottom of the bucket.
Think I would add a wide board also, and let it be the floor. Just put it in and let it drop down and settle in place.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got my new birds today. Breeding pairs. One of them laid an egg on the floor... Not a promising start. I put the needles in the next boxes. So far they don't enter the boxes...

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Pairs will take time to settle down first and then explore what's made for them. They surely will like the nesting holes once they get comfy with them.

I say congrats! If the pair who laid the egg on the floor accepts the eggs when second one is laid then let'em raise it there on the floor itself. Because ahead comes moulting season in august and birds aren't supposed to breed through that season. If they start sitting on eggs on the floor just place bricks around so the eggs don't roll away. Pigeons like straw as nesting materials. Place some straw in a corner and let'em try to build their own nest. If they don't build a satisfactory one you can intervene.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
I would take the egg in the house to keep it at room temp, then put the pair in a nest and hope they take it then if they lay the second egg you can put the first egg in with them.
Dave

1 - 20 of 33 Posts