Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well this egg was busted... But I'm keeping an eye on the birds. They have materials in the boxes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Going to my neighbors ranch today to get a little straw and hay. Did order some tobacco stems.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm learning a lot. Don't think they like these 4" needles.
Going to do straw. Also building a few traditional wood boxes.
Will have the system down before next year.
I'm sure Im making it too complex lol but perhaps others will learn with me...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Yeah, its like that. Cool!

Since you want your birds to breed they need a nest box,ofcourse. It will help them settle better and fast if you yourself put the pairs locked with a mesh wire in their respective nest boxes for 3-4 nights and let them out during day. This will help them understand which boxes is their private room which they will occupy and start to defend against others. It will help with the turmoil they create finding a box for themselves, also this will speed the breeding process up.

Do order some solid plastic fake eggs. They are essentials of pigeon keeping,you're gonna discover soon. You're gonna need 'em to hatch control later. For now, you can use them to protect your first egg until second one is laid. When first one is laid take it out and put a plastic fake egg in its place so it dont get trampled or damaged. It will also help with the size difference in case your pigeons start to incubate the first egg right away when its laid. My cocks do that. They start to sit on the first egg when its laid. Incubation of both eggs must start at the same time so squabs hatch out with a minimum gap of few hours or atleast they hatch out on the same day so that size difference doesn't occur. Place the original egg in the nest when second one is laid and pull out the fake.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Don't think it's necessary to replace a first egg until second one is hatched, unless you find that they are sitting the first egg right away. Mine don't do that, and have not had a problem with one baby being that much bigger than the other. I think we sometimes interfere too much when we don't need to. If it is actually needed with a pair, then that would be different.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I'm learning a lot. Don't think they like these 4" needles.
Going to do straw. Also building a few traditional wood boxes.
Will have the system down before next year.
I'm sure Im making it too complex lol but perhaps others will learn with me...

I don't think you are making it too complex. You are learning is all. It would be good if many who don't bother trying to learn what is best for their birds, would do as you are doing. You are paying attention, and trying different things, and that is how you learn.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That is all great and interesting information! We were away today, when I got home I looked and the new birds were sitting on the top of the buckets, or on the perches. One bird was inside the bucket. They definitely have claimed that turf. My other five birds were elsewhere, they are younger.
Interesting stuff to me. Thanks, Jass SamOplay and Jay3
Thanks for taking time with a guy who comments about such stuff that has to be trivial to you guys.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
No question is trivial. That's how we learn. And we are all learning all the time. I'm glad they are liking their new boxes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I know it's not the best, but due to a long story which I won't bore you with, it will be a month before there is another loft. They have lots of room but they are all together for a few weeks. 11 birds total. Near 100 sq ft of floor space. Another loft in progress.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Ordered the plastic eggs. Just wanted to raise a nest of them for now.
We had an unexpected and sudden developement (a good one), but the loft was delayed as a result. My goal with all of this is to have some young birds to train next spring. I'm going to raise my own. I will raise a few now, but mostly it will be next year.
RC

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
100 sq ft is really a large space for 11 birds. Hope breeding pairs don't get disturbed from lone/ybs. If happens so, you can partition the loft temporarily. And for that even a heavy curtain will do.
Keep posting on the happenings as they occur in your loft

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
With that much space I doubt that the younger single birds will bother the pairs much. If it was a small space it would be more of a problem.
But I would make sure there were enough perches and boxes for everyone, so that the younger ones aren't trying to take their nest box.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts