Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have two white nestmates homer (about 8 months old now) in the loft and it is the only pair I ever own. Recently, I asked the forum about moulting around the neck areas. Now, I have a problem with cooing and chasing each other a lot. Don't really now if they are both males? Do females coo? It seems one is more dominant than the other. After each chasing and cooing the other one would coos back a little. The other time I even saw them had a fight through mouth to mouth. What should i do? Do I have to get them a hen or it is okay to keep it the way it is? I only want to keep 4 pigeons the max. Thanks in advance to your help.

Vin

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I think your Pigeons are mating.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have seen my rollers do this, and soon after they feed each other they mate. does not sound like fighting, sounds like the opposite of that!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes, hens can coo a ton. I thought my hen was a boy, because she cooed more.

If these are nest mates, it might be a good idea to find one a home and get another. You don't really want them inbreeding....some would disagree.

-Hilly

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
My males will do the beak-to-beak fighting, so you could be right about them both being males. Nest mates are not necessarily male and female they can be two males or two females.

When it is part of courtship feeding one or both will preen behind their wings ...you will also see them do a bit of regurgitating actions before joining beaks and there will be a sort of "invitation" and "co-operation" in their behaviour. This video illustrates it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulbWenqmhjI

When it is fighting there is more bowing and challenging, the "coo" is more like a Woody Woodpecker crow. This video illustrates fighting behaviour, look at how they behave when they break apart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zliEN1MEkU&NR=1

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Very useful links, Feefo! They clearly show the different between the two types of interaction. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts