Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear all,

everyday when I travel by train I see the pigeons trapped in those stupid nets that companies use to stop pigeons entering under the bridges, etc. Since they are trapped, they died there. iIs a shocking picture for me and am fed up with it. Surely a citizen i am not obliged to witness this horror everyday. Would you be interested in getting involved solving this problem with me, somehow? I wonder whether anything can be done about this form of cruelty? i really have had enough of it. today i saw two dead.:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear all,

thank you for your reply.

I am thinking all the time recently, how this could be stopped or at leats these stupid nets monitored.. I think it coould be a great idea to have volunteers who check these nets regularly [on the way to work, e.g., like me, as I see three nets everyday :( ] and the we could get together and help pigeons out if the need be. I was thinking of going to see one bridge in southwark, where i saw 4 dead pigeons in past 3 months... just horrible...

If anyone would be happy to get togther one of the weekends time to time let me know :) ..or at leats to start with...

I will check teh facebook page. :) Thank you.

Sonia

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Goodnes I am sick of this disgusting country of ours that proclaims to be protective of animals with the stupid Animal Welfare Act and yet allows this kind of thing to go on - and don't get me started on Breed Specific Legislation! Our poor innocent pigeons should not be dying this way, I thought it was against DEFRA laws to allow culling in an inhumane way.
Please do go on the Facebook group because lots of people do exactly what you're talking about on there and there may be people around the area you mention that can rescue these poor little loves. Thank you for caring, heartbreaking isn't it? :(

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am from the UK and was very upset when the council put up wire under the bridges over the canal where the pigeons roost and nest.

I had to walk under the bridges every day to and from work.. and loved seeing the pigeons going about their lives.. feeding chicks etc. I would often help a youngster back to the nest if it had fallen out.. even fishing a couple of newly fledges ones out of the canal!

One day I saw the wire mesh under all the bridges. It was a horrible thing to see and made me feel sick. There were desperate parent pigeon trying to get back to their eggs and chicks. There where chicks trapped behind the wire squeaking for food from the parents... who could not get in to reach them. There were even several adult birds trapped behind the grills.

How could anyone intentionally trap live birds to slowly starve to death like that.. they must have easily seen there in there when they were fixing up the mesh.

I called the RSPCA.. several times.. but they did not want to know. I called the city council. but just got passed about and put on hold and then the place closed for the weekend!!!

I will never forget that time. and how selfish and heartless people can be to other living creatures.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I am from the UK and was very upset when the council put up wire under the bridges over the canal where the pigeons roost and nest.

I had to walk under the bridges every day to and from work.. and loved seeing the pigeons going about their lives.. feeding chicks etc. I would often help a youngster back to the nest if it had fallen out.. even fishing a couple of newly fledges ones out of the canal!

One day I saw the wire mesh under all the bridges. It was a horrible thing to see and made me feel sick. There were desperate parent pigeon trying to get back to their eggs and chicks. There where chicks trapped behind the wire squeaking for food from the parents... who could not get in to reach them. There were even several adult birds trapped behind the grills.

How could anyone intentionally trap live birds to slowly starve to death like that.. they must have easily seen there in there when they were fixing up the mesh.

I called the RSPCA.. several times.. but they did not want to know. I called the city council. but just got passed about and put on hold and then the place closed for the weekend!!!

I will never forget that time. and how selfish and heartless people can be to other living creatures.

Yes, it is amazing how inhumane "humans" can be. Too many like that in the world. Those are the ones who shouldn't be allowed to breed.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I think some or most are uneducated and still have the mentality of thinking these creatures are "vermin." I believe they still see pigeons as "disease carrying rats without wings". I think it makes it easier for them to pass by the nets and see such horrific torture and murder as nothing, and they can justify it by just shrugging it off and say the world is a cleaner place without these creatures.

It is crazy in my eyes to think that way, I cannot comprehend it myself, but that is part of it. Pigeons are creatures given right to life by their creator as any other living creature or being.

Once you get to really know these birds-when rescuing them, owning them, being a pigeon fancier, it changes everything. Then there are fanciers who still see ferals as being different from their stock and don't care about them either, but those are the fanciers who don't really care about their own birds, but more about what can they do for me.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Then there are fanciers who still see ferals as being different from their stock and don't care about them either, but those are the fanciers who don't really care about their own birds, but more about what can they do for me.[/I]

[/B]

This is very true. Sad isn't it, that just anyone can own an animal?

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
What about a petition to stop the netting? Would that help?
There has recently been a petition, intended for the UK Government, online but it failed to obtain anywhere close to the required number of signatures (which can only come from UK residents) for it to even be considered.

The would-be petition has now closed for signatures, having passed its time allowed.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Sad to hear the petition is now closed. Was just wondering if a petition might help because I sign animal petitions daily, e,g, Force Change and Change.org and Take Action. Some you can write yourself and they are circulated world wide and gather a lot of signatures and support for animal welfare causes. Was hoping that a petition signed from everywhere and world outcry might encourage the govt in UK to stop use of the nets because I know in the US the UK is regarded as having a lot more empathy and concern for animals. In the US feral pigeons are treated quite badly in pigeon shoots and nets are placed over their roosting spots atop buildings to discourage their presence harming parents and young. Am just saddened to hear about the nets. In the US we have PETA but profits and callousness sadly rule a lot of the time regarding animals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.