Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to pigeon care;about two weeks ago I came upon a young pigeon. Currently he's balding underneath his wings and some tail feathers have been lost, but he walks, and can eat and drink water on his own (eating/drinking on his own is a recent development). He also flies short distances. As for the crop, it empties regularly.

I've been feeding him bread torn in small pieces and moistened in water. He seems to be eating it well. He tends to just chill in my room most of the day and goes to sleep in a shoe box at night. My room gets pretty cold at night so I put a heating pad underneath the box to heat it up and keep him warm.

I was reading through the forums but I still have many questions. I'm currently looking to better care for this pigeon before hopefully introducing him to the outside.

How often should I feed him?
If he lives inside should I bathe him?
What should I do about his living arrangements/ how can I provide the space he needs?
What does he need for his living arrangements?
How do I introduce grit into his food?
What else can I feed the pigeon?

:confused:

·
Registered
959 Posts
Pigeons usually eat seeds and grains. They need grit too, and need to get some sunshine daily. Bread is not good food for them.
Since he is feeding himself, you can keep a bowl filled with seed near his box, and let him eat whenever he wants. Usually they eat twice or thrice in a day. Keep the water bowl too filled with fresh water at all times.
You can offer him a water bath (a large shallow bowl filled with water) to bathe. He will bathe on his own. If he gets too dirty but doesn't bathe, you can fill a bucket with lukewarm water, then hold him firmly at the base of both wings, and gently lower him several times into the water (do not dip the head). Spread out the wings one by one inside the water, so water reaches everywhere. Take care to thoroughly dry him afterwards with a soft towel and preferably put him where there is sunshine so he can dry himself.
Grit can be given in a separate bowl. He will peck from it according to his need.
Pigeons need to have some company, better if it is another pigeon. Otherwise they bond with humans. If you are giving him free run of the house, you will have to make it pigeon-proof.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thanks for looking out for this pigeon. Was he a baby that fell out of the nest? Injured?
Pictures so we can determine age and condition would be wonderful.
The bread should stop immediately. There is no nutritional value in it for him. They need a seed and grain diet. Most local feed stores will have pigeon-specific seed. Wild bird seed can suffice in the meantime, but it also is lacking in nutrition.
as far as housing, a small loft where they can be safe in complete shelter from the elements and an area to be outside to get fresh air and sunlight work the best for keeping our feathered-friends happiest. The greatest importance when building an outside enclosure is that it is fully predator proof, and that includes being totally rat proof. Rats will injure, and make your bird sick if they can get into the loft. As well as needing to be sturdy to protect against the larger critters such as raccoons.
If you plan on keeping the little one inside, a horizontal cage such as a large dog crate with a shelf in it works great.
Providing a cat liter type bin with water in it is how they bathe. You will not need to bath him yourself, he will do it on his own time. They love to splash about, then lay out in the sun which they need to process calcium.
as for grit, they will need a red type grit for digestion, and oyster shell for calcium. It can be provided in a separate dish and he will eat it when he needs it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thanks for looking out for this pigeon. Was he a baby that fell out of the nest? Injured?
Pictures so we can determine age and condition would be wonderful.
The bread should stop immediately. There is no nutritional value in it for him. They need a seed and grain diet. Most local feed stores will have pigeon-specific seed. Wild bird seed can suffice in the meantime, but it also is lacking in nutrition.
as far as housing, a small loft where they can be safe in complete shelter from the elements and an area to be outside to get fresh air and sunlight work the best for keeping our feathered-friends happiest. The greatest importance when building an outside enclosure is that it is fully predator proof, and that includes being totally rat proof. Rats will injure, and make your bird sick if they can get into the loft. As well as needing to be sturdy to protect against the larger critters such as raccoons.
If you plan on keeping the little one inside, a horizontal cage such as a large dog crate with a shelf in it works great.
Providing a cat liter type bin with water in it is how they bathe. You will not need to bath him yourself, he will do it on his own time. They love to splash about, then lay out in the sun which they need to process calcium.
as for grit, they will need a red type grit for digestion, and oyster shell for calcium. It can be provided in a separate dish and he will eat it when he needs it.
Good answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He wasn't injured, just scared. It had been a pretty windy day, for us; light poles needed straightening and some peoples' tool sheds blew over too. So, he pretty much coulda come from anywhere, and on top of that he'd been there a while. My friend had already seen him but figured he'd die soon. Then, his dogs pawed at him for a while before leaving him there.

My only problem now is what to feed him? I don't really know what a "feed store" is? The closest thing I can think of is petco. I checked online and they have food for many different types of birds? But I don't know if I should get one of those or specifically buy something for wild birds?
I really appreciate any feedback.

Also as an Update. He took his first flight today! He flew around the room and landed on my dresser :) it was beautiful.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wheat, raw rice, peanuts(unsalted), millet, corn - feed these if you can get them and always provide him with a bowl of fresh water. If the bird is strong enough to fly then you must release it unless you want it as a pet. What breed is it?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
He wasn't injured, just scared. It had been a pretty windy day, for us; light poles needed straightening and some peoples' tool sheds blew over too. So, he pretty much coulda come from anywhere, and on top of that he'd been there a while. My friend had already seen him but figured he'd die soon. Then, his dogs pawed at him for a while before leaving him there.

My only problem now is what to feed him? I don't really know what a "feed store" is? The closest thing I can think of is petco. I checked online and they have food for many different types of birds? But I don't know if I should get one of those or specifically buy something for wild birds?
I really appreciate any feedback.

Also as an Update. He took his first flight today! He flew around the room and landed on my dresser :) it was beautiful.
A good pigeon seed is best-it gives them the nutrition they require for optimum health, and there are many to choose from. You can use wild bird seed temporarily. Here is an example of some pigeon seeds: http://www.jones-seed.com/c-6-pigeon.aspx

Rice should only be 2% of a mix and that should be long grain rice. Raw unsalted peanuts should only be given as a snack, once in awhile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It took me a while to find pigeon feed but it turns out my local petco DID have pigeon feed. I have been feeding him wild bird feed, for doves and pigeons. He hasn't gained any weight though :/ I feel like he's too thin. Also I'm not sure if he IS a pigeon? He doesn't look like any pigeon I've seen. I've included some pictures.

He likes to walk around even though he's been flying a lot. Here he's just chilling around the room. The light makes him look brown but he's actually various shades of gray, although his tail feathers are white.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually don't know what type of pigeon he is. I'm from Texas. Maybe I don't recognize his type because he hasn't fully grown yet? Some help identifying what type of bird he is would be great! Also, is having pigeons as pets illegal?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Looks like a dove to me too.
The poster said that the pic didn't show his true color, and that he is more gray than brown.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Unfortunately even if you are saving it, if it's illegal, then it still is. However, if one needed help, I would also help regardless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wildlife Rescue Center

yara_blair, perhaps you have a wildlife rescue center in your area. If you can not find an internet listing for your area, then call your library and ask at the reference desk if they have info. No authority would want you abandon the bird at this point. It is obvious that it needed help. I think you did a great job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.