Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How's it going people. I'm pretty new at this, and really need help at breeding pigeons. I really don't know where to start, so if you guys can help me out i'd appreciate it :). Last week my dad bought 4 pigeons and told us that he used to breed them when he was a child. He's 40 now and work most of the time, so he really doesn't have time to take care of them. He built a cage, a pretty big crappy cage (to be honest with you), and just put them in there. The 4 are adult pigeons. One of them is a homer pigeon, and a couple racing pigeons. We also recently bought 2 baby ones. The homer seems to be bossing everyone around. I want to take them out the cage but I feel like they won't come back to us. So I really don't want to do taht just yet 'til I really know what to do. Also, the guy who sold us the adult pigeon told us most of the time the pigeons they have sold always go back to them. I'm thinking of having a carpenter build a small pigeon loft/coop but I am not too sure how big. We're only renting a house, so I cant build it too big. If you guys have blue prints in building a simple one I'd appreciate it! i'll try my best to build it. Any suggestions in how big I should build it for atleast 10 pigeons? Something real simple and comfortable for them to live in. I don't think the cage my dad built is really good for them. He grew up in the Philippines, so things were a lot different back there. I really want to get into this, but I seriously don't know where to start. Please help! thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
Alright ill try to help you first of all dont let the birds fly of they have been flown somewhere else they wont come back since they are homers/racing pigeons(same kind of breed) and for the breeding part put some nesting material in the coop and put a bowl of some kind and just wait and watch:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dad built a pretty bad looking cage.. I really need to find a good place for these birds to live in. So should I just get a bowl and nesting material for them first? And thank you so much for replying. I really really appreciate it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant "Bad" as in not a good place for them to live in. I want to raise them right. Ya know?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Don't start breeding birds until you are sure you have adequate housing for them. Here is a website that with a description of an inexpensive loft. http://www.freewebs.com/kjcii/acheapandeasyloft.htm It is one option for you.

I would wait on putting nesting materials in there for now. Don't encourage them. There will be plenty of time for breeding when the time is right. Make sure you have good feed and water containers. You can do a search for "pigeon supplies" and numerous supplies will come up.

Read up all you can about keeping pigeons. There is a wealth of information on this website as well as other places. Take it slow. One step at a time. You might want to get some plastic or wooden dummy eggs so if they do start breeding and nesting, you can replace their eggs with the dummy eggs until you are properly set up to increase your flock. Don't let the old birds out that you currently have. You will likely lose them. It's best to fly young birds that are hatched in your loft.

There is much more you need to learn. But this is some good basic info. Good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Birds should have at least 2 sq. feet of floor, so something like 4X5 would give them that. A 4x4 loft would be large enough for about 8 birds. You don't want to over crowd, as that will bring on stress, which will cause illness in the birds. You need a nest box for each pair, and more perches than you have birds.

They need some sort of aviary that is covered with 1/2 inch hardware cloth to get outside in to get fresh air and sunshine, which they need. They get vitamin D from the sun that helps them to absorb calcium. It should be built on the south or sunny side of the loft. It needs to be predator proof, meaning that nothing can get in and get at them. Even mice getting in will bring illness to them. And rats will kill them. Chicken wire is no good, as it doesn't keep these things out, and a raccoon can tear right through it. They will also kill your birds. A loft needs good air circulation, but the birds shouldn't be in drafts. Can you post a picture of their cage, and maybe we could give you some suggestions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ss

I've never built anything in my life. I might have to go to a carpenter and let him know these things. Thank you guys so much for the info. Any of you guys from california? OC area

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: Things are lookin' good with my birds. Still have the same cage just fixed it up a bit. A few of our pigeons are flying now. Thanks people

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I was going to ask how bad is bad. since your dad had them as a kid he most likely has a good idea of what they need . He might have just through something together just to house them for awhile. Well this is not teaching respect class 101 so i will stop there

·
Registered
818 Posts
HOD13,
Welcome to PigeonTalk and to the wonderful world of Pigeons :) This is a great site for you to get information and tips. You keep saying your Dad's cage is' not good'. [I agree with Jason Heidlauf] Possible for you to post some pics of the birds and their cage? Pics of the cage might be helpful for ppl trying to advice you on lofts.
Some advice I would like to give you (these are just My Opinions...) :
Do not worry about 'breeding' just yet. You have to let the pigeons get comfortable in your new place. Once they get comfortable, they will 'pair up'...ie. form as a couple, *then* its time to focus on breeding.
As other Ppl have said : food and water should be big priorities. Make sure there is clean water available for them. Read up and ask around to get a good feed mix for them.
Observe them...let them get comfortable with you around.
You mentioned that "A few of our pigeons are flying now." could you please explain that...?. Flying outside?...do they return? how do they return? on your call or just as they wish?
Jay3 has given some good advice on their space requirements [Helpful and resourceful as always]
Wish you the best of luck in this great hobby/sport. Peace :)
YaSin.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are flying outside of the cage already. I'm still having trouble calling them back home. They fly to the loft when they want to. Any advice??

·
Registered
818 Posts
HOD13,
Yup, lots of good advice on that here in the forum. Look under Training your birds to a feed call. Probably not a good idea to let them fly soo soon..but anyways. When you feed your birds, have a whistle or some sound that they will recognize. I'm not sure what section this info is under, look under Training. Good luck :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts