Pigeon-Talk banner

New at this - please help (long)

Tags
sick
3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  John_D 
#1 ·
Last Saturday, I was walking in the middle of Manhattan, and I saw a few people standing around a pigeon that could fly and trying to help him and give him water. I took him to the wild life rescue, and they said he crashed into something. His eye was badly swallen, and his neck was a bit twisted. They said they couldn't keep him, because it was possible that he crashed because he was carrying the paramyxo virus, and they had other birds. They asked me to take him. I did.

He still can't get up and lies on his side. I hand-feed him twice a day 40-50 pieces of dry bird food soaked in water that I got at the rescue. I also wash his eye with a special solution, put ointment on it, and give him pain medication. I have to hold him up and put his beak in the water so he can drink. It doesn't seem that he has gotten much better, but he has not gotten worse either. His neck still twists but no more than before. He used to have green, liquid stool, but now it's brown and pink (the exact color of the dry pellets) and more solid. He also seems to try to move away from where he poops (he didn't before).

He did get a lot of poop on him before when he was just lying there. I tried to wipe it, but it seems dried on. Should I give him a bath? If so, I would really appreciate some information on how to do it?

Do you have any other advice? Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm glad you're caring for this little guy :) As for the bath, you can give him one. Just hold him in some lukewarm water and try to rub any mess away with a soft towel. A little bit of dish soap can be added if you'd like. Just make sure his head doesn't get in the water, and everything should go okay :)

#3 ·
Hi,

You can hold him under a stream of warm water to wash away the poop. If you suspect PMV, just be sure that you do not leave him alone with a pan of water because he could drown.

If you need further help, let me know via email. I'm in NYC also.

Jennifer

#4 ·
Thank you for the quick responses :)

My main concern is, would he be too cold after getting washed. I don't have a hair dryer, since I don't blow-dry my hair, so I have nothing to dry him with except a towel. I guess my question just is what's better for him? I don't care if he smells if he doesn't care and is more comfortable NOT being washed. Also, his feathers have been falling out on the side where he got poop on, but I suspect that's because it's not clean.

I don't leave the water in the carrier. I take him out and hold him for him to drink water. He can't even get up or eat on his own, so I doubt he would be able to drink.

#5 ·
I would try to clean him as best you can without stressing him too much. You can hand dry him with a towel afterward. Or else just take a wet cloth and wipe away the crusted poop instead of holding him under running water.

Jennifer

#6 ·
Wow...you are so special for taking the time to care for this little bird.Thank you for that..this place is great and has a lot of info for care of pigeons.I have found that a little bit of ACV (apple cider vinegar) in my birds bath water helps get anything off...you could soak a cloth in a mix of ACV and warm water and just wipe away any excess, without stressing him.Do you have a vet you can take him to?They may be able to access the neck and offer some asisstance.

#7 ·
Thank you again for the responses.

Jennifer, I did try to just wipe him, but the poop is pretty dried on, and it's hard to get out from the feathers. I will try some vinegar and see if that works...

Tamara, when I took him to the wild life rescue, a vet did look at him, but they are just not sure what's causing the neck to turn. She said that it may just be because of the impact and eye injury, or it could be paramyxo.

G
#8 ·
To get the poop off, fill a basin with warm water and hold the bird's bottom in it for 5 minutes or so. If the bird is stressed do it in a darkened room. A little soaking should soften the poop up enough you can pick it apart with a gloved hand. I did that with a recent rescue who was so caked up with rock hard poop he couldn't pass any poop at all, the poor thing. Since you don't have a dryer, bathe the bird during the day and put him in a sunny window to dry.

#10 ·
Pigeonfriend you are amazing :)

I hope it all works out well for this poor fellow, he's very lucky you were there. If it's PMV there's apparently no cure, just supportive care. I'm sure others more knowledgeable will correct me if I'm wrong.

There are many extremely helpful and extremely patient people here on the forums who I'm sure will be along to help more. I just wanted to pop in and thank you very much for taking the time, effort and trouble to help this poor helpless creature.

You mentioned pain medication, what is it called? That way the good folk here can tell you if it's good or bad in this situation. Thanks again for saving this little guy!

#11 ·
OK, I can now use all the help I can get.

My pigeon has not gotten better in the past week and a half. he can't stand up, and I hand-feed him. His neck is still twisted. I called the wild life bird place to see if I can bring him in for an appointment, and they said that since he has not gotten better in 3-5 days, he probably never will, and I should put him to sleep. I am not doing that. I really don't believe in euthenasia, and most of the time he is sleeping or resting, so I don't evens see that there is an argument that he is suffering.

Now, since I don't have any help, and I don't know anything about birds, I need to know how to take care of him in the long term.

1. He can't eat or drink by himself. I hand-feed him. The food I am giving him from the wild bird place is running out. What is the healthiest, best food option for a very sick pigeon?

2. Is it OK to feed him two rather than three times a day? How much should I feed him?

3. Right now, it's very hot in my apartment (90's), so I just have him on paper towels. Should I use a towel underneath for absorbency and softnes or just paper towels?

4.He gets very poopy very fast, and that irritates his skin and makes his feathers fall out on the side. How often should I wash him? What should I do for the skin (he has a small scab from the irritation)? Is there any sort of bedding I can use to preven that stuff from getting all over him?

5. Anything else I can do? I really just want his life to be as comfortable as possible whatever the outcome.

Thank you.

#20 · (Edited)

OK, I can now use all the help I can get.

My pigeon has not gotten better in the past week and a half. he can't stand up, and I hand-feed him. His neck is still twisted. I called the wild life bird place to see if I can bring him in for an appointment, and they said that since he has not gotten better in 3-5 days, he probably never will, and I should put him to sleep. I am not doing that. I really don't believe in euthanasia, and most of the time he is sleeping or resting, so I don't evens see that there is an argument that he is suffering.

Pmv birds can recover and live pretty normal life although they never can be released in to the wild as stress can trigger a PMV episode.
It takes a lot longer than 1 week for the symptoms to go away...the recovery time varies from bird to bird. To say it could be weeks, would not be an exaggeration.

Now, since I don't have any help, and I don't know anything about birds, I need to know how to take care of him in the long term.

1. He can't eat or drink by himself. I hand-feed him. The food I am giving him from the wild bird place is running out. What is the healthiest, best food option for a very sick pigeon?

You can buy a high quality puppy chow, soak it in warm water until soft and pop at the back of the birds mouth over the throat. You can do the same with defrosted corn and peas. Only soak as much as you will use at one time. Is the bird swallowing OK?

2. Is it OK to feed him two rather than three times a day? How much should I feed him?
Three times a day would be good but if that is difficult for you, two meals would be a minimum.

3. Right now, it's very hot in my apartment (90's), so I just have him on paper towels. Should I use a towel underneath for absorbency and softnes or just paper towels?

A towel would be wonderful. Maybe you can find some second hand.

4.He gets very poopy very fast, and that irritates his skin and makes his feathers fall out on the side. How often should I wash him? What should I do for the skin (he has a small scab from the irritation)? Is there any sort of bedding I can use to preven that stuff from getting all over him?

Poop can burn the skin so I would clean him as he needs it. I would put a small amount of vaseline on any bare skin to protect the skin. Do avoid the feathers.

5. Anything else I can do? I really just want his life to be as comfortable as possible whatever the outcome.

Keep in mind that many rehabbers think PMV and freak out. The tendency is to euthanize rather than give the bird a chance and so most don't see a recovery. I think you are doing all you can. You picked him up and brought him home when everyone else just walked on by. I think this bird is as lucky as a bird can be with PMV.
We are here to support you so take us up on it.

I just noticed that John posted a thread that is a valuable one to read.

Thank you.

#12 ·
using nolvassan on his bottom and cleaning him with it will be of help, as far as feeding him he may need more, you can try giving him some hand rearing formula for birds, that is if he can swallow it. you could sprinkle it on the corn also as it is a powder you mix with water. here is a link to the nolvassan http://www.1800petmeds.com/Nolvasan+Skin+++Wound+Cleanser-prod2140.html

#13 ·
Thanks again for your help. Just to clarify (I am sorry, I really don't know anything about birds), how often would I put nolvassan on him? And should I just put it on or rub it in or soak something in it and clean him or leave it on?

I don't think he can swallow by himself, and I do need to hand-feed him. Given that, how many times should I do that, and can you give me a brand name if you have one (again, I really don't know birds) - I will get whatever is best for him. And if I do give the formula, how much should I give a day or at a time?

I am sorry about all the questions. I just feel really overwhelmed. I went from having two guinea pigs (my pets) to a pigeon, and now I also foster a dog the shelter was going to put to sleep. It just feels like a lot, and I want to do right by each of them, but the pigeon happens to be the one I just have no experience with.

Thanks again!

#15 ·
He needs to be hand feed 3x's daily if not 4. and the hand rearing food mentioned above would be Kaytee Exact, here is a link to what that looks like. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753607&lmdn=Pet+Type

There are many members who have nursed a PMV pigeon back to health... Your doing a great job. Keep up the work. I am going to send a few people here to give you advice, as I have never had to deal with PMV!

#17 ·
I've sent a few PM's and hopefully they will all be along throughout the day to help you ... Let me send you to this site as well, I'm sending you there to look at the pictures of how Elizabeth has use a towel to prop up Persia... Maybe you can try this.

http://www.rescuereport.org/2009/07/persia.html

#18 ·
you would bath him in the nolvassan mixed with warm water it is great for poopie butt and cleans without it being abrasive, you will really like it. as far as the hand rearing formula read the directions on the label. someone should post soon about feeding methods that you can use. I crop feed because I have a crop needle and have been shown how to do it, but would not feel comfortable telling you how in a post,. It really needs to be shown....do you have any rehabbers in your area?

#19 ·
IF he has PMV, he can also be hand fed on thawed out frozen peas and corn (just leave in fresh boiled water for a few minutes) one at a time, slightly warm. I fed three PMV birds morning and evening for about three weeks until they could pick up enough pigeon food themselves. I gave them 40+ each time.

I couln't say if that definitely is the problem with your rescue. The neck twisting is a symptom, certainly, but if he cannot stand either that could well be as a result of - as they said - crashing into something, or maybe struck by traffic and suffering injury.

Here's a link describing PMV symptoms and to a video.

http://pij-n-angels.forumotion.net/...eatment-f11/pigeon-paramyxovirus-pmv-t151.htm

John

#21 ·
Keep up the great work!

Dear PigeonFriend,

Bless your heart for helping this bird. It's not true that PMV birds don't get better. They need supportive care (like what you're doing) and, provided he can be kept fed, hydrated and safe from opportunistic diseases, he'll probably recover and do very well. I recently cared for 3 PMV birds and the 2 adults, Frances & June Bug have made great progress and are doing really well. Tragically, the baby I was caring for, Persia didn't survive and you can read all about them and see their pictures by clicking on those links.

I had my best success when I hand fed either pigeon feed (dried peas and corn- 50 pieces 3x/day for a king pigeon, less for a smaller) or thawed frozen peas and corn (30 pieces 3x/day) rather than formula. The thawed frozen peas and corn are the easiest and offer the benefit of extra moisture. You just pop them in the mouth one at a time and he should swallow them fine. And offer water to your bird frequently (you may have to dip his beak and then he'll probably drink on his own while you hold the dish). Pigeons need to drink a lot and staying hydrated is really important. Be careful though that the bird isn't at risk of drowning by tipping over into a water dish or something.

I've had some of my greatest joys taking care of PMV pigeons. You're doing the right thing and your bird can recover and have a GREAT life. Frances now has a mate! and June Bug flies up to the highest perch in my loft!

Feel free to email me directly at AdoptKings@gmail.com and thank you, Jenn, for pointing me to this thread.

#22 · (Edited)
Hello-

Me again. So I just read through the thread more carefully. Sorry for posting redundant info that other folks had already covered.

It is also very possible that your bird has an impact injury rather than PMV. Pigeons have AMAZING powers of recuperation and he could well survive and recover from that as well. Your care and time are what your bird needs.

Keep feeding and watering and don't stress him unnecessarily.

Rolling a towel into a rope and then making a donut around the pigeon is a good way to provide support and pigeons love sitting "in something" (like a basket or a bowl) and a towel-donut makes a nice, safe "something" for them to sit in the middle of.

Here's a picture of my terribly missed baby, Persia, in her towel-donut.

Best wishes to you both!

#23 ·
Thank you for caring for this pigeon. As other said, if it is PMV, he has a good chance of recovering a lot of her movement and balance. You can try a mix of the high-quality dog food or biscuits, room-temp (frozen) peas/corn, and the Kaytee. When I had a very ill PMV feral, she couldn't swallow well and I used the blender to mix up the following for each feeding:

Half of a high-quality dog biscuit
Kaytee mix
warm water
raw AVC
sometimes peas and/or corn
small seeds

I put this into a plastic ziploc baggie, cut a tiny bit of the corner off, and twisted the rest to make a bag similar to those used by bakers to decorate cakes. I would then squeeze the somewhat thick paste into her beak and she would swallow, then I would offer water.

About the bathing, do so whenever needed. I think there's nothing a pigeon hates more than to be dirty and to feel dirty. They really thrive on cleanliness, and it will help him feel better all the way around if he is clean. Good luck and please keep us posted, and ask any questions you have no matter how small or how many. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.