Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm a bird and animal lover. I have a cockatiel and a green cheek conure. I work at the city park barn/petting zoo. A couple days ago this (what we think is a pigeon?...I'm assuming a young one due to beack colour) bird was noticed on our property unable to fly, and very tame seeming. We took him in, and now I have him at my house because the manager said if we gave it to the animal shelter, they would most likely put him down.. and I like birds, and decided to take it home tonight instead... I'm fairly sure it's a pigeon/dove and is just young. He/she is acting normal, very tame, seems to have fine movement of wings, just unable to fly. Flight feathers look full, but his beak is pink and in parrots that usually indicates a young bird, so I'm assuming the same could be true in this case. I've been trying to identify him through online photos of different pigeon and dove breeds, but am having trouble finding one that looks like him.. probably because he's young and I'm fairly new to this type of bird. So I was wondering if you guys could shed some light on this. Photos ofcourse. I have him in a medium sized cage right now, it's night anyhow, with water and seed and some of my parrot's pellets aswell. Thankyou in advance. :) I live in Brampton, Ontario, Canada if that helps any.

-AnNa

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yep, still a pretty young pigeon. Probably just recently weaned. Can you do us a favor and open its beak to look in the mouth? That bald patch under the beak isn't really normal when all the other feathers are in. I'm thinking it might possibly have canker.

·
Guardian Angel
585 Posts
definitely a pigeon. It probably left the nest alittle to soon but should be flying pretty soon. Is he/she eating on his own yet? Its a beautiful bird. Thank you for taking him in when he needed it :).

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Yep! That's a young pigeon and quite a darling one! Gently open the beak and have a look inside the mouth and back towards the throat. If there are any kind of cottage cheesy looking growths, then please let us know. Said growths would be canker (trichomoniasis) and this would need to be treated. Also look closely at the feathers and spread out a wing .. if you see any tiny "bugs" then also let us know.

The youngster looks good and appears to be in good shape, but we want to make sure to check that some of the common problems aren't present.

If you plan on releasing this youngster, you should probably switch it to a seed diet as it would not be likely to find parrot pellets in the wild for food. Pigeons do make lovely pets, however, if you are leaning towards keeping the bird.

Welcome to Pigeon-Talk and please keep us posted!

Terry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou for this advice. I do not see anything in the back of his mouth, and we didn't see anything wrong with him at the barn, but now that I look closer and was told what to look for more specifically.. I did see tiny little bugs on his feathers when I spread out his wing.. they were yellow in colour and almost looked like nothing.. thin little lines.. what are these? How should I treat them?

We did look up and find a 'pigeon club' in Brampton that may be able to take this bird in, and be more knowledgable about birds, my coworkers called in but said he was a little rude when they asked him for directions to it, and didn't know how to get there, so I ended up taking the bird home instead. I could try to talk to him, if this is something serious.. though if it's something I can easily handle or have treated, please let me know what this could be and I will further research and try to help this little guy out. He seems to be fine in activity and drinking water, I'm not sure how much he is eating, but does seem to show interest in pecking at food here and there. THANKYOU FOR YOUR REPLIES!!

-AnNa

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Ah. Bugs can cause some baldness too. Glad it isn't canker!
Usually the long, paper-think bugs and feather lice. The ones I usually see on my birds are light brown in color, but there's more than one kind of lice around. If you can find any kind of poultry dust or dip for bugs, that should work just fine :) Or, there's always the option of giving him a bath with a little borax or vinegar in the water.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
If it was brampton club, That would probally be mike and brenda jackson.. Mike can be abit rude but they do care for there birds. If you need anymore help I can look through the club book looking for other clubs near you. My dad use to race with the jackson's until he quit.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
and i use pyrethrin based mite and lice spray for birds, it can be found at most pet stores.
my feral babies always look like that, their face feathers are the last to come in.
is he eating well for you?? how does his keel feel?
do you have a gram scale to weigh him?

G

·
I would just use that powdered poultry and garden dust you can find at any feed store it works great when you only have a few birds ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts