Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up my first birds today that I got on eggbid. The guy I got them from said that one of the hens (I got 2 pair) will have eggs soon. My question is, when she has them should I take them from her if she has not paired up by then. Even if she has paired up would it be ok to let her keep them. The birds I got are not paired up with each other. Both hens are 05 birds and I was told are very good hens and are also good to use as fosters. in the first pis the two on right are hens.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If you take the eggs away, you must replace them with wooden or plastic eggs and let the hen incubate them even though they won't hatch.
You are givng them oyster shell and red grit each in separate dishes...right?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will get grit and oyster shell tomorrow. Feed store was out or it would be in there already. Is it ok to let her hatch them if she is not paired up though. I don't know how soon, soon is.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If you take the eggs away, you must replace them with wooden or plastic eggs and let the hen incubate them even though they won't hatch.
You are givng them oyster shell and red grit each in separate dishes...right?
I mix my red grit and oyster shell up half and half, is this a problem?

Tony

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I do too. I mix red grit, oyster shell, charcoal, and iodized sea salt. Hopefully there is nothing wrong mixing extra oyster shell, as the red grit I use has some in the mixture.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I do too. I mix red grit, oyster shell, charcoal, and iodized sea salt. Hopefully there is nothing wrong mixing extra oyster shell, as the red grit I use has some in the mixture.
I have been doing it for over a year, with three breeding factories. So far so good but if it is a problem I do not want to push my luck.

Tony

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
If they are not paired, she won't be able to carry it full term. Usually pigeon pair take turn incubating. Hens usually do the nighttime duty and the cock do the daytime duty. If the egg is laid, it would be useless. She probably would just abandon it. So, yes, just throw the eggs away (Some people eat them). If they are paired and she laid eggs, then most likely they will incubate it. The cock won't know that the resulting eggs didn't come from him.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If they are not paired, she won't be able to carry it full term. Usually pigeon pair take turn incubating. Hens usually do the nighttime duty and the cock do the daytime duty. If the egg is laid, it would be useless. She probably would just abandon it. So, yes, just throw the eggs away (Some people eat them). If they are paired and she laid eggs, then most likely they will incubate it. The cock won't know that the resulting eggs didn't come from him.
So Rob,

Are they good? Do they taste like chicken?

LOL Tony

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well if the x owner thinks she will lay then she must of mated with someone.??? was she paired with another bird?, if so, why did he split them up. any way, I would not worry too much about it at this point, there will be plenty of time for hatching. give them nest bowls and be sure to have your wooden eggs and replace them with those. perhaps you can let them have young ones after they get settled and you have some time with them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What happens if you don't replace with wooden eggs? A fancier in my area says not to use wooden eggs, just throw the eggs away. No one has yet to give me a reason on either side.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
What happens if you don't replace with wooden eggs? A fancier in my area says not to use wooden eggs, just throw the eggs away. No one has yet to give me a reason on either side.
hens will lay again too soon and laying eggs back to back depletes calcium from their bones, and muscles, which they need to push eggs out and form eggs, so if they are defecient in calcium then they can get egg bound or not beable to walk because of weakness. can be fatal. so if you give them the break of sitting on the eggs for 18 days or so they have time to restore the calcium in their bodies

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Congrats on getting your new birds! My advise would be to dispose of any eggs laid prior to your hens mating with one of the cocks. They would be infertile unless they had mated with another bird at their previous loft. Where these birds breeders at the previous loft?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nice birds bcr1. Good luck!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well no eggs yet. I do have a pair that appear to be courting though:). They spend a lot of time together in the top nest box cooing and preening. The hen keeps puttting her beek inside of the cock's beek like she is feeding. I think he was trying to mate with her earlier (at least that is what I assume it was) though it did not last long:eek:.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Well no eggs yet. I do have a pair that appear to be courting though:). They spend a lot of time together in the top nest box cooing and preening. The hen keeps puttting her beek inside of the cock's beek like she is feeding. I think he was trying to mate with her earlier (at least that is what I assume it was) though it did not last long:eek:.
yes that sounds good.....wait and watch is all you can do now....best of luck with your new birds...what I can see of your loft looks real nice and they do better in peacful healthy enviroment.:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It never does.LOL.
Yes, sounds as though they are pairing up. Your birds are pretty, and the loft looks good. Good luck with your new birds.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Big T,
I don't know. I've never eat one. I suppose they taste like pigeon? (You gonna get me in trouble.)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts