Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
i have had two birmingham rollers for about 2 years now, but unfortunatly one was killed by a peregrine falcon about a week ago. after about 5 days, I bought myself another birmingham roller, I think it is a hen, but it is still very young, and my old one i think is a cock, chases after the young female and pecks the back of her neck, and he wont let her eat, should i do anything about this or is it normal for the first few days,? will they settle down in a few days?
please write back.
:confused::(

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi
i have had two birmingham rollers for about 2 years now, but unfortunatly one was killed by a peregrine falcon about a week ago. after about 5 days, I bought myself another birmingham roller, I think it is a hen, but it is still very young, and my old one i think is a cock, chases after the young female and pecks the back of her neck, and he wont let her eat, should i do anything about this or is it normal for the first few days,? will they settle down in a few days?
please write back.
:confused::(
How young is young? Where do you keep these two birds?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know exactly how young it is but its molting now, i keep the two in my loft wich is a chicken shed transformed to a loft, it could probably keep about 5 or more pigeons there.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
OK. I just wanted to make sure they weren't in a small cage or something. Some will tell you to just let them figure it out..........I won't do that. The bird that has been there sees this new bird as an intruder. And if it's very young, and it sounds like it is, it probably won't fight back. The bird has to eat. If you have to take the older bird out and let the new eat, then that's what I would do. In time, they'll probably start getting along ok, but until that happens, you might have to separate them so they both eat.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have had females attack males and males attack females.....even when they get together later. Pigeons are totally a pecking order kind of animal. They should calm down soon when order is established, just keep an eye on them. I have come to expect some mean vile behavior in the first couple days but with the exception of one very mean bird they always calmed down. I found adding more places to eat and drink always helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also should i start to train my young bird to fly now, or should i wait until she has settled down properly first, there is a pigeon fancier who lives in my town, has told me to train my bird by puting a layer of fairy liquid on her flight feathers so she cant fly away, and by putting her on the landing board so she can look around the loft, and repeating this a few days, has anyone else heard of this, and if you do it can you give me some tips please.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
also should i start to train my young bird to fly now, or should i wait until she has settled down properly first, there is a pigeon fancier who lives in my town, has told me to train my bird by puting a layer of fairy liquid on her flight feathers so she cant fly away, and by putting her on the landing board so she can look around the loft, and repeating this a few days, has anyone else heard of this, and if you do it can you give me some tips please.
are you an Aussie? or Uk?, fairy liquid sounds like a product from somewhere like those.:p, flying one bird is not so great, I think you CAN let her out but she will be vulnerable with out a flock, and she may not even fly much. but that was just my first thought. there is alot of info on training in the stickies threads.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes but i have another bird its just he's trained already lol, yes im from the uk soz, its a cleaning liquid.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
This is what I do to introduce new birds inside my loft. I temporarily put the new birds inside a crate inside the loft so they wont get attack. I do that for 2 nights. I feed and water them inside that crate. My old tenant birds can't reach them, but they can see them. The third day I release them inside the loft. There will still be pecking. It is a hierarchy thing which is normal, but there wont be too much chasing and pecking. Less than a week later, they have established their pecking order and life is in order unless you have bully birds. That itself is a headache.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts