Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
One of my pigeon's egg hatched yesterday and one in today morning.noticed just now that one of them is weaker and lesser movable.I understand that one will be bigger because one day older but then what about movements? Does smaller/younger one shows lesser movements? Pretty worried about it. Pls share if any thoughts or if I can help with something?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Why he hasn't got nutritious crop milk from parents? Do they ignore the baby if he is weaker? I had read it somewhere earlier.
Hope and pray for his survival..

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just checked.he died.why, no clue. I haven't removed him from the nest, hen is still sitting on both. Parents were feeding them too, dont know what happened.when should I remove him from nest so that other is not infected?

·
Registered
196 Posts
whenever you notice a dead youngster take it out of the nest right away. slowly put your hand in under the parent-palm down , to protect the surviving youngster from accidently getting pecked by the parent. and yes the baby will have to try/beg to be feed, before the parents will feed it. the young dehydrate quick if not given moisture of some kind- even off your fingers.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whenever you notice a dead youngster take it out of the nest right away. slowly put your hand in under the parent-palm down , to protect the surviving youngster from accidently getting pecked by the parent. and yes the baby will have to try/beg to be feed, before the parents will feed it. the young dehydrate quick if not given moisture of some kind- even off your fingers.

Yes reply was awaited but I took him out coz I was afraid of other getting infected. Means I should have hydrated him off my fingers and he could have been saved?

·
Registered
196 Posts
It was just a thought kiddy- I usually give the slow newborns help if I think they need it- but I am experienced. a little/one half cc- water or kaytee formula in a one cc syringe with a one and onehalf inch long tube-from a nose oxygen hose-the smallest hose you can fit on the end of the syringe. google handfeeding.
sometimes they die no matter what you do, and in my experience if they survive they grow slow and are weak-natures way of weeding out the weak ones. I am sorry for your loss, but it is part of raising pigeons.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes you are right and death is a part and truth of every life too but still pains very much. Well thanks so much for your help and information. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Sorry to hear that kiddy!
Why would a youngster die in the nest? Its unusual. Hope no disease is involved and you've not used more than enough nesting materials!
Size difference doesn't kill new borns. Parents have enough milk that they could satisfy both. Size difference among squabs play its role later when they become near week old

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Parents are fine, their poop is fine so what can be a disease to chick, no idea. I just provided them with nesting material and they themselves made the nest, it seemed good.

When I saw him he seemed less movable, when I touched his beak, he dint lift his head up for feed while the other one was asking for it. He was comparatively weak and wasn't asking for feed so may be not fed by parents then.I noticed parents have enough crop milk, they feed many times and I saw crop milk in mother's beak, a white colored substance. I even dont know the reason but whatever it was, a painful experience.I wanted to see both of them growing together coz last time only one egg was fertile so I was happy this time both chicks are out. I have no clue what may happen, not enough experienced to guess.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I did nothing.I just saw him out. Hen carried the emptied egg shell in her beak and dropped outside so came to know that he is out.it was early morning when he came out so I must be sleeping.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Am sorry for the loss of your baby bird. It's hard to let nature take its course. I spent yesterday sad because a caterpillar I looked out for for over six months came out of her chrysalis yesterday as a moth and last night flew away. I know from your posts that you too share my reverence for living things. It's hard to be unable to keep everyone safe when they have to live out their destinies.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am sorry for the loss of your baby bird. It's hard to let nature take its course. I spent yesterday sad because a caterpillar I looked out for for over six months came out of her chrysalis yesterday as a moth and last night flew away. I know from your posts that you too share my reverence for living things. It's hard to be unable to keep everyone safe when they have to live out their destinies.
Yes you are right , every life has to taste death and it is more painful to others who have to bear the loss. But we have no choice.
I am glad that you took care of a caterpillar for 6 months, I am surprised they take 6 months to transform.you did superb and every good deed has a reward so try to feel good that he is alive and you did great for him. I have no idea of how to take care of them but I highly appreciate if someone can help or think about them too.so to me you are Great.thanks so much.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
It's not uncommon for a smaller not to make it if it is hatched later, the hen incubated the first egg when it was laid instead of hover over it till the second is laid, and therefore it hatched sooner. Squabs are one of the fastest growing things on earth so that makes it harder to compete for feedings from the start. If I have a hen that sits the first egg, I give her a dummy egg until the second is laid and re turn the real one so they both hatch at the same time. It helps.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Parents are fine, their poop is fine so what can be a disease to chick, no idea. I just provided them with nesting material and they themselves made the nest, it seemed good.

When I saw him he seemed less movable, when I touched his beak, he dint lift his head up for feed while the other one was asking for it. He was comparatively weak and wasn't asking for feed so may be not fed by parents then.I noticed parents have enough crop milk, they feed many times and I saw crop milk in mother's beak, a white colored substance. I even dont know the reason but whatever it was, a painful experience.I wanted to see both of them growing together coz last time only one egg was fertile so I was happy this time both chicks are out. I have no clue what may happen, not enough experienced to guess.
I think its the same hen you said was a less inactive before breeding. The squab most probably died of weakness as his mother was not 100% before laying. Only healthy hens give healthy eggs. The squab was too weak to lift its head for feed. I had such cases before. Keep giving calcium and multivitamins to your breeding pair regularly.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not uncommon for a smaller not to make it if it is hatched later, the hen incubated the first egg when it was laid instead of hover over it till the second is laid, and therefore it hatched sooner. Squabs are one of the fastest growing things on earth so that makes it harder to compete for feedings from the start. If I have a hen that sits the first egg, I give her a dummy egg until the second is laid and re turn the real one so they both hatch at the same time. It helps.
Yes you are right but usually both eggs don't hatch on the same day except for if we provide them with the dummy egg and then replace that fake one with real when the second is laid or the parents are wise enough to start incubating when both are laid.I have read that parents ignore the smaller one because of less competent and doesn't beg for feed as the other one does.so may be I should do it next time if I think about breeding them. For now will give them a long term break, can't bear any more loss.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think its the same hen you said was a less inactive before breeding. The squab most probably died of weakness as his mother was not 100% before laying. Only healthy hens give healthy eggs. The squab was too weak to lift its head for feed. I had such cases before. Keep giving calcium and multivitamins to your breeding pair regularly.
Yes she was down for 5-6 days after breeding but laid after almost 10 days of recovery so I thought she is healthy, she had no problems at all.but coz this happened I should consider that point too and till the parents dont seem 100% at health level either before or after breeding or even before laying, everything should be taken seriously, after all this can be a matter of life and death so no point should be left.it is a hard lesson for me this time.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Yes you are right but usually both eggs don't hatch on the same day except for if we provide them with the dummy egg and then replace that fake one with real when the second is laid or the parents are wise enough to start incubating when both are laid.I have read that parents ignore the smaller one because of less competent and doesn't beg for feed as the other one does.so may be I should do it next time if I think about breeding them. For now will give them a long term break, can't bear any more loss.
But? Lol.. As I said already which you repeated most of, they don't hatch the same day if the first is incubated from the time it is layed. Smalls sometimes can't compete with a bigger sibling, all that already mentioned. Glad you got the jist of the info I shared with you.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But? Lol.. As I said already which you repeated most of, they don't hatch the same day if the first is incubated from the time it is layed. Smalls sometimes can't compete with a bigger sibling, all that already mentioned. Glad you got the jist of the info I shared with you.
Yes but actually you said "IF it is hatched later" so I said BUT usually they dont hatch on the same day. Sorry if it was same and you had to read same thing again :(
And you are right I learn a lot from you and other genius people here, I accept that I had no knowledge before I joined pt and now I keep reading online too. So thanks for the help and info.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.