Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ,
any help would be great , my 2 pigeons george and widge have been laying eggs ( well ok george has since widge is a boy and it would be pretty difficult for him to do it , not to mention painfull ) for quite a while now and they have never hatched so we have not really kept an eye on things .. 2 days ago we went into the aviary to find tha the eggs have hatched into 2 little chicks .. i think they must be about 4 days old or so ( as i said she was sitting on the eggs so we didnt interfeare with her so i cannot be more precise ) they are about the size of my fist ( maybe a bit smaller ) ... they seem to be ok but mum has stopped sitting on them and has started wandering around the aviary ..
i am worried that they are goign to get too cold and i am wondering if everything is ok , should i leave them too it or try and hope that the parents havent rejected them or should i get them out of there before they freeze to death , the aviary is outside
hope someone out there can help

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Generally, the parents will start leaving the babies for periods of time at around 5 days old -- as long as they return, it's probably fine, though babies are more often a spring and summer event. They should definitely be staying with/on the chicks at night, and you should check to make sure the chicks have food in their crops.

I'd keep an eye on it, but not worry too much unless there are real signs of trouble. If it is terribly cold out, I'd keep an even closer eye on things.

If you need to take the babies inside, you'll also need to hand feed them.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
My birds seldom leave their babies before they are about 8 or 9 days old. I always have to fight them to get the babies banded. Depending on where you are and what the temps are, I'd keep a close eye on things. Sometimes, first time parents don't always get it "right" the first time..........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok next question .. when will it be ok for me to actually touch the babies without risking th adults rejecting them because of my smell or something like that .. i should mention i have 2 very asry pigeons ... ( i save them from a fate worse than death .. ok it was death and all they can do is peck me ... ) :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also despite this being my second pair i just generaly leave them to it and i have never had babies before so where am i looking when i look for thieir crops.. how should it feel if it has food in it and why didnt i take in something simpler like a crocodile !!!!

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
That is an old wives tale. The birds will not reject the babies because you touch them. I would however, at this age, keep handling to a minimum, but if you need to check the babies, it's fine to do that. The parents might not LIKE it, but they'll get over it and will continue to care for the babies. The main thing to be careful of is not letting the wing slapping that the parents will do, injure the baby. Some of the parent birds can get downright irate with you and pitch a real fit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry should have said ( can anyone tell yet i really want these little ones to make it ) the temp outside is not too cold yet but it is quite windy and is beginging to drop they are in a nest box inside the aviary and we have lined the aviary with some material to keep the wind out ..

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
also despite this being my second pair i just generaly leave them to it and i have never had babies before so where am i looking when i look for thieir crops.. how should it feel if it has food in it and why didnt i take in something simpler like a crocodile !!!!
A CROCODILE???? :rolleyes: :confused: You'll be just fine........LOL
Take a look at the first few pics here. http://lovebirdsloft.homestead.com/2007babies.html
The little poochy pouches up under the chin/beak is where the crop is. If it's empty, it will be flat. If being fed properly, it will pooch out like these babies.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
sorry should have said ( can anyone tell yet i really want these little ones to make it ) the temp outside is not too cold yet but it is quite windy and is beginging to drop they are in a nest box inside the aviary and we have lined the aviary with some material to keep the wind out ..
Are the parents sitting on them? If so, they'll be fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Would it be possible to put a heating lamp in there with the young? Better safe than sorry is my motto when it comes to baby birds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hello babies doing ok so far have checked the crop and they seem to be being fed by mummy ( i guess i should take it back about george being a bad mummy ) havent touched them yet as if i don't need to i would rather not ..
quick question though , the nest box that they are in is totally covered in pigeon faeces, is it ok for them to stay like this or would it be a good idea for me to go in and try and change their bedding. getting smeone to holdthem while i chuck out the old stuff and put new hay in ...
the nest box is getting pretty covered in stuff and i am not sure this is good for them

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
hello babies doing ok so far have checked the crop and they seem to be being fed by mummy ( i guess i should take it back about george being a bad mummy ) havent touched them yet as if i don't need to i would rather not ..
quick question though , the nest box that they are in is totally covered in pigeon faeces, is it ok for them to stay like this or would it be a good idea for me to go in and try and change their bedding. getting smeone to holdthem while i chuck out the old stuff and put new hay in ...
the nest box is getting pretty covered in stuff and i am not sure this is good for them
Well, we all have a different view on this. Your wild/feral birds have no one to clean up after them, and they do just fine. However, I personally, can't stand the mess, so once I band my babies, which is about 6 to 7 days old, I change the nesting material as needed. Once the babies are about 8 to 10 days old, they are big enough to hang their cute little butts over the side of the nest bowl, and poop. ;) I don't mess with my babies much the first week but after that, I'll clean as necessary. As long as the babies are healthy and are producing healthy droppings, it's not going to "hurt" them. I just prefer a clean nesting area. Mom and Dad's attitude plays a part in that too. If they want to pitch a fit every single time I think the bowls are too dirty, then I just "live with it" rather than cause them to become agitated. Eventually, they'll start leaving the babies anyway for longer periods of time, so I take that time to clean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks will leave them in their own mess for a few days more .. then if it gets to bad i will change their nesting stuff. they don't seem to mind and i don't want them getting stressed

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
thanks will leave them in their own mess for a few days more .. then if it gets to bad i will change their nesting stuff. they don't seem to mind and i don't want them getting stressed
Yea, these guys don't mind all the poop NEAR as much as we humans do.....LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you have been great ...when i first realised that their eggs had actually hatched i was so shocked , i was beginging to think that widge was firing blanks , i had been telling him to stop looking so pleased with himself , i guess he has a reason to now

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Hi Seren, sounds like Renee has given you lots of good advice. I, personally, have handled all of the babies born here every other day or so (that is many babies over the years!) I check them when they're born, then change their nest boxes every other day. I find it is healthier for the babies and the parents (or seems to be, as I rarely have any health issues). Don't be afraid to touch the babies. They aren't that fragile (not so much that you could hurt them by picking them up), and there is zero chance that the parents will reject them. As Renee said, that is just an old wives' tale (those old wives do love to spread rumors). I generally take the babies, set them nearby in a basket or box, change the nesting box, and set the babies back in. Mom and Dad show up as soon as I step away (even if they're not tame) or within a few minutes. Make sure they have plenty of seeds and fresh water, as they feed them continuously throughout the day. Good luck and keep us updated. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts