Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I would appreciate any advice given from anybody who has had any experience of diamond doves.

I have kept a pair of hen doves in a cage indoors for about three years. They have always been very close. A couple of days ago, one of the doves died unexpectantly, which was obviously very sad. I don't know the cause of her death as she showed no symptoms and had no noticeable injuries.

The dove left alone has been very vocal since her death and I have tried to keep her company as much as possible, being sure to leave the TV on when I'm out of the room to provide a bit of noise for her. My question to you is, will it be OK to get her another female companion or will she be likely to fight with the newcomer? I am new to diamond doves, so I'm not quite sure what to do in this situation. I don't like the idea of her being alone but I don't want to bring in a newcomer if it'll make her stressed.

Thanks for reading this and I would appreciate any advice you could give.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If you get another dove, you would keep them seperate for a few weeks to make sure the new one is healthy, then you can bring her in the room with your other dove and keep them seperated but can see each other, when they seem to settle in , I would give the two a new cage and put them in at the same time as a new enviroment. that way your hen may not be as territorial.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts