Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've adopted this little white dove (the one that was found during a wildlife rehabilitation fundraising horseback-ride on my farm). The little guy has made him/herself at home now and is very, very tame. I had him on my shoulder while I was working around the kitchen sink and he decided (to my horror/amusement) to jump into the sink. Fortunately (which is why it was slightly amusing) there was no water in there, just a pot full of dirty water, which the dove promptly started drinking. His cage has a deep water dish and food dish hanging in it, but he was acting as though he hadn't had anything to drink for days. I took the dirty water away immediately and offered him another deep dish of fresh water. He refused it and jumped into the sink again. Thinking he maybe wanted a bath more than a drink, I turned on the tap and splashed him with a bit of water. He didn't mind that, but it wasn't what he was looking for. However, upon getting his feathers wet, I noticed a huge bloody haematoma over his keel, which I hadn't noticed before (I'm amazed that I didn't, as I've volunteered at the wildlife rehab for years and I would normally see things like that right away). Anyway, after his beak got wet, I also thought I saw some bruising around the base of the beak, which tells me he hit the ground or hit a window really hard and has injured himself. The injury looks to be several days old. I put the little gaffer back on top of his cage and offered him food and water up there (he was sitting on top of an old towel that was covering his cage). He drank loads of water and then dug into the seeds like he hadn't eaten in days. He had tried the seeds in his cage (same seeds) but had hardly touched them since he came on Sunday. Not sure why he was eating heartily on TOP of his cage but would hardly touch food and water IN his cage. I don't want him out during the day, as I don't let my other birds (2 cockatiels) free-range at will either. So I'm hoping that he starts to eat and drink normally while in his cage...

As well, I have 40 chickens and 10 "pet" (wild, but have adopted my aviary as home) pigeons outside. How paranoid should I be about disease transfer? If it is going to be a real concern, I will likely rehome this little dove, as the chickens are definitely staying and I suspect it will be difficult to convince the pigeons to go elsewhere as well. I actually would like the pigeons to find another roost, as I don't like the possibility of disease transfer from pigeons to chickens either... Any suggestions on how to move the wild flock without doing them any harm (these are all birds I've rehabbed or raised from squabs this summer...)

Thanks,

Laura

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hi laura, that dove sounds adorable, he is getting settled and decided he likes it around there. as far as the disease transfer, just wash your hands after going out to the chicken/ pigeons, The pigeons are settled to your place so I do think they would just come back if you took them somewhere, I would keep them as they are getting all they need from you and winters can be harsh, so If it were me I would keep them. I have three white doves in the house and lofts outdoors with almost 40 pigeons and have had no problems..I just wash up before I tend to the doves. hope he continues to do well. would love to see a pic. :) oh I have about 8 bantam chickens also, they are not with the pigeons but near them and I wash up after tending to them too.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well can you start a new thead, answers may get lost in this one, because it is about crazychicks found dove. he really needs to be caged at times you can not be with him, like at night and when your resting and DR's appts, for his own safety. there is also an adoption thread where you can list him to find a new home for him, If that is what you want to do. state your location and a pic of him also. his acting out is normal he has adopted you and your pets as his flock, he wants to be king...DO NOT LET HIM OUT TO FLY OUT OF DOORS. he can get eaten and or lost if he gets chased by something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts