Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought a pair of fantails and have put them in their new home. They aren't moving much, nor sitting on the nest I made for them (Timothy Hay). Is this normal? They come out in the aviary only for a short while and then go back in. Is this normal?

Please let me know.

Also, is there any pigeon shampoo I can use to wash them?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hi all,

I bought a pair of fantails and have put them in their new home. They aren't moving much, nor sitting on the nest I made for them (Timothy Hay). Is this normal? They come out in the aviary only for a short while and then go back in. Is this normal?

Please let me know.

Also, is there any pigeon shampoo I can use to wash them?
because it is new, it will take time for them to settle in...pigeons do not like change so be patient. and yes it is normal for them to be leary of their new surroundings. as far as shampoo..they usually will take baths if offered on their own..a cat litter pan with water to offer they may bath after they feel more at home. if you want to wash them because they are dirty you can..use just a bit of baby shampoo with barely any suds in warmish water and hold them in it and rub the the feathers with your fingers... towel pat them and put them in a warm sunny location to dry.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Is uneasiness another reason why they poop (like literally 'let go' lol) a large amount of runny poop when I hold them?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

Is uneasiness another reason why they poop (like literally 'let go' lol) a large amount of runny poop when I hold them?
yes..they do stress out and do that..so handling them at this point is even more stress on them.. best to watch and wait and let them settle in.. if you think the droppings are not improving after about a week then you should see your vet to have the droppings tested. low stress and quiet respect is what they need right now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes..they do stress out and do that..so handling them at this point is even more stress on them.. best to watch and wait and let them settle in.. if you think the droppings are not improving after about a week then you should see your vet to have the droppings tested. low stress and quiet respect is what they need right now.
Thanks. I was getting worried. I'm keeping a close eye on their droppings in the loft & aviary, and so far, I haven't seen any runny droppings, which supports what you said even more.

Thank's a lot for this :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed today the birds standing on one leg and then alternating. They can stand on both, but sometimes they stand on one. Is this normal?

Also, they are a breeding pair and I've seen them 'peck' at each on the head and body, but in what seems like an affectionate way. Are they cleaning each other? :S

I've also seen them peck at their own body however this isn't common. Why do they do this?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Yes they do like to sometimes stand on one leg. And they are preening each other. Very normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts