Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of the helpful advice from mary of exter(aka becky) from elsewhere, finally had my first house pigeon baby hatch on its own. Now if it makes it that would be another thing. Because it seems the parents(esp the cock) are more interested in fighting, and beating up each other, then they are the chick. just checked it tonight. Its still alive with a semi full crop. One more egg should be hatching soon. They are setting on them. But the cock bird is hogging the nest and refusing to let the hen on. What is is his problem? Normally they are very bonded to each other. He did this the last time too. turned mean towards her after the egg hatched. none of my other birds act like that after hatching time.

Hoping not to find a dead or squished chick in the morning. I will share pictures in a couple of days if it makes it, after the other egg hatches.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i observed that happening. He wanted the nest all day and night last night and wouldn't let her near it. he was intentionally leaning off the nest to take stabs at her, whil eshe was trying to kick him off. This morning they were fine, and she was on the nest. I have seen both birds pull day and nighttime sitting. Their chick is still alive. the other egg was bad. Its like they had a prefall out.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I have a cock that will sometimes take over the nest, and she has to fight him to sit on the eggs. Then I have had a cock that refused to help in the sitting. He has settled down now and pitches in, but not as much as he should.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My blue archangel cock bird is kind of lazy. I am going to try pairing him with another hen and see if he will want to participate in nesting duties. Paid good money for him and hope he does his job.

My house pigeons were getting along just fine tonight. The new baby is doing well, and so far no more fighting. Not sure what their problem was last night. He just got really possesive of the baby i guess.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Maybe he is just young. Changing mates won't help that. If he is young, he will probably do better as he gets a bit older.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Maybe he is just young. Changing mates won't help that. If he is young, he will probably do better as he gets a bit older.
I am not sure how old the archangel is. Looks to be an older bird. I got him and the hen from someone on eggbid that was selling out of them. I split them up a couple of months ago and the hen is doing fine and on the nest with another cock bird. Should be getting babies out of her any day. The blue just doesn't seem interested. He is a nice bird so I am going to keep trying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts