Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These are my new breeding boxes for 2013 season. The dimensions are 32 inches wide, 20 high, and 22 deep. I used 1x1 wire for the floor. All of them have a tray under for cleaning. Final cost was 40.00 for the wire. I used 2x4 ripped in half for frame and scrap plywood for the walls.
Hope you all like them. Tnx Torres Loft. Charlotte NC

·
Registered
407 Posts
Really nice! The only thing I would have done differently is the floor wire size and maybe split the floor one more time for support but that's just me. One great thing about your design is the droppings will never get caught up in the wire or on the extra support. Thats what happens all the time on everything i make with the smaller wire. I have been buying 2x4 s and splitting them to get all sorts of cool wood sizes. A table saw is the best purchase I have ever made.

·
Registered
407 Posts
What kind of pigeon are they for? I have birds with tiny feet ao I'm forced to use smaller wire. I think they're great and wish I had them but don't think they could remain standing considering the high winds we get all year.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Really nice! The only thing I would have done differently is the floor wire size and maybe split the floor one more time for support but that's just me. One great thing about your design is the droppings will never get caught up in the wire or on the extra support. Thats what happens all the time on everything i make with the smaller wire. I have been buying 2x4 s and splitting them to get all sorts of cool wood sizes. A table saw is the best purchase I have ever made.
Zippy, If you rip 1/4" strips from the edge of a 2x4 and nail those strips across the floor supports on top the wire the poop can be scraped off easily, put them wherever the wire is. I never have a problem when I do that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
That's a great idea, It's a pain in the flypen when the droppings collect over the floor supports. I bet the birds like to stand on them too.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
That's a great idea, It's a pain in the flypen when the droppings collect over the floor supports. I bet the birds like to stand on them too.
Zippy, Look on page 10 of my loft post and you can see my aviary floor. I have never cleaned the aviary floor since I put birds in there, it still looks clean. The droppings dry on the boards and the birds knock them off. They do like standing on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts