Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roller LittleWing just broke an incoming primary, very close to the base, about 20 minutes ago. I only have cornstarch on hand (new to rescuing pigeons). I'm watching her and I'm -fairly- sure it has stopped. I've cleared my morning. Next steps? I've read about pulling, I'm fairly sure I've pulled parrot and parakeet feathers when I was a kid working in a petshop. But now I am reading you can damage the follicle.
1- bathe her later to get off the caked cornstarch?
2- I only have a human triple antibiotic on hand
3- leave the end of the quill in?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I don't know what the experts would say but if it happened to one of mine I'd leave it to fall out naturally. Just keep an eye on the area and get a styptic pencil from the pharmacy in case it ever happens again, so much less hassle than corn starch.
The pencil also seals the blood vessel to prevent infection setting in.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Even better than a styptic pencil is styptic powder. At least I find it easier to apply to different places. Some pigeon or bird supply places carry it. It works well. I always take a good tweezer and pull the feather out, as it is likely to get bumped and start bleeding again. You don't want that. Hold the area close to the feather, and always pull in the direction the feather is growing, that way you shouldn't damage the follicle. Pull firmly but quickly, then you don't have to worry about it bleeding again. If that causes a bleed, you can put pressure with more cornstarch or flour and just hold till it stops.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Freda, such mixed opinions from FBook groups! Two camps, pull it vs leave it. And then this: " Kwik Stop contains Benzocaine to block pain caused from minor superficial cuts" vs "Don't use kwik stop! It can cause a bad chemical burn!!!!!"

For now, I left it but it's a big blob of cornstarch and scab. Tomorrow afternoon I'll pick up some styptic and then soak the area, maybe she won't mess with it as much.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jay3, one petshop only has a styptic for dogs and cats, kwikstop has the painkiller in it. There is a bird shop that will open tomorrow. I'll pick up some powder then.

Is it better as a two person job? I seem to remember when I did it 35 years ago it was but that was for parrots. It's hard to find someone who isn't squeamish!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Parrots can take a chunk out of you. You don't have to worry about a pigeon doing that. I just hold the bird on my lap and against my body so I have control of him and he can't get hurt trying to get away. It has never been a problem. Just remember to pull it out in the same direction it is growing.
I think the stuff I use is Blood stop. Not sure right now.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I know you will do fine. Just stay calm and talk to him, get a very good grip with the tweezers, pull quickly and firmly and it will be over before he knows what happened. It may bleed, but then it will be done. Then give him a treat.:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that would be the newly discovered delight, chopped peanut. I have to keep it to a minimum.

Lame question- if I remember I grab the outside of the quill. I don't stick one point inside the quill, right? And yes, avoid the flesh but go right up to it (not hard as there is only about 1/4")

thanks again

R

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
that would be the newly discovered delight, chopped peanut. I have to keep it to a minimum.

Lame question- if I remember I grab the outside of the quill. I don't stick one point inside the quill, right? And yes, avoid the flesh but go right up to it (not hard as there is only about 1/4")

thanks again

R
Yes, they all love chopped peanuts. LOL. Yes, grab it by the outside.
And no question is lame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts