Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My wife and I are new to the world of pidgeons.
We have experience with quail, chukars, and pheasants.
Recently we picked up a dozen homers, and put them in the flight pen. The hens are already sitting on nests.
What can we expect for hatch time and fledge time?

Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Welcome! I think they hatch around 18 days. It takes about 4 weeks when they get weaned and their parents kick them out. But the father seems to feed the baby still for another 1 or 2 weeks. What you will notice is that when the babies are 2 weeks old, the parents might/will start another round of 2 eggs and the cycle continues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.
Is there any special feed concerns for the chicks?
Right now we are feeding the adult birds a mixture of poultry feed and cracked corn.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks for the input.
Is there any special feed concerns for the chicks?
Right now we are feeding the adult birds a mixture of poultry feed and cracked corn.
I would stay away from the cracked corn. The sharp edges can cause crop damage. There is a thread on the racing page that documents a bird that has a torn airsac due to this very issue.

As far as the babies go, the parents will secrete the food for the babies. This is often called pigeon milk. It is not actually milk but the parents will feed this to the babies until they can handle regurgitated feed from the parents.

Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
With cracked Corn, i am not worried about sharp edges, but that if the Corn is cracked it losses it's value as Nutrition almost the next Day from when it was Cracked...( the Seed is DEAD) Dave

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
My feed is consists of chicken layer pellets (16%), chicken scratch, wild bird seeds and peas. I mix them and give it to them.

You can buy pigeon breeder mix (they both come in pellet and grain type). For chicks, they need higher protein (16% and up).

The only disadvantage of cracked corn is that if you store your feed on damp areas, then it is easy to get spoiled. The solution obviously is to store it at a properly dry place.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
HI HOGAN,Can you get regular pigeon feed where you buy your feed? If so I would recomand a mix that is 18%protien with pop corn,if you can get one that has a higher protein that would be fine for raising young pigeons.PURINA puts out two pellets green and gold that you could add to the 18%. If I were you I would go to GOGGLE and do a reserch of feed suppliers in your area.By the way do you plan to race these birds,as this would have a bearing on how you feed. GEORGE;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts