Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody, I'm new to the site and I new-ish to pigeons. I had some when I was a kid about 25years ago but nothing too serious. I'm in the process of building an 8x8 loft and my first bird is already at the post office waiting for me to pick him up. I'm sure i'll be on here asking tons of questions and looking for ideas and tips.

My first question is, is there anybody in the San Antonio area? I was hoping to meet somebody locally who I can bounce questions off of and maybe find out about local events, etc. Pictures to come...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
White Homers: Thanks! I haven't tried the site yet, but I will now, thank you. Love the site so far, tons of knowledge here.

raftree3: I'm hoping so. Good to know about the Texas Center Convention, i'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to Pigeon Talk.
I'm from San Antonio, but living in Antwerp, Belgium since 2009, ans before that in Cologne from 1982. Lots of family back home.
I believe there are some pigeon people in the towns near San Antonio.

Check out http://www.txcenter.org/
Texas Center of Racing Pigeon Clubs.
Found this link by typing in "Antonio" in the Search box.

--Larry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to Pigeon Talk.
I'm from San Antonio, but living in Antwerp, Belgium since 2009, ans before that in Cologne from 1982. Lots of family back home.
I believe there are some pigeon people in the towns near San Antonio.

Check out http://www.txcenter.org/
Texas Center of Racing Pigeon Clubs.
Found this link by typing in "Antonio" in the Search box.

--Larry
Oh cool! Wow Belgium! Long way from home. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was finally able to take a good picture of my foundation cock, I personally feel that he's quite the specimen, he's got tons of personality, can't wait to see what he and his offspring can do. He's in a temporary holding pen until the loft is completed.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nice looking bird, welcome to the site here you will find lots of answers to lots of questions :) keep us posted with your new loft and good luck with your birds, you planing on racing homers?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi....Best of luck to you....Make sure you put blocks under your loft,before it gets to heavy to lift....You have to get building off the ground,so to that you keep water & dampness out...Loft has to be airy & dry for the pigeons health...Good Luck...Alamo
Funny that you mention that! I had the same thought on Saturday and decided to get it up off the ground before I added anything else. A pry bar and an automotive floor jack did the trick. So far I've managed to do all of this project alone, which is kinda cool. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's coming out very nice, so I think getting rid of the chicken wire on the aviary, and replacing with hardware cloth would be worth the investment. Hawks can reach through that in the daytime, rats can walk right through the holes at night, snakes can get in, and raccoons can tear through it. It's a nice loft and worth the little bit extra money for a lot more security.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's coming out very nice, so I think getting rid of the chicken wire on the aviary, and replacing with hardware cloth would be worth the investment. Hawks can reach through that in the daytime, rats can walk right through the holes at night, snakes can get in, and raccoons can tear through it. It's a nice loft and worth the little bit extra money for a lot more security.
Thanks, I'll take your advice. I have to make a door on the front of the aviary anyway so I'll replace it when I do that which will be this week.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Looks great....what's the big box up in the corner? Hope you don't mind suggestions....pigeons aren't always the smartest about things.....they'll go under your loft for some odd reason and they're not so easy to get out, so I'd cover the space with whatever tickles your fancy.......I'd fix the aviary so you can lock them out while you work in the loft (you probably planned to do that.) Have fun!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks great....what's the big box up in the corner? Hope you don't mind suggestions....pigeons aren't always the smartest about things.....they'll go under your loft for some odd reason and they're not so easy to get out, so I'd cover the space with whatever tickles your fancy.......I'd fix the aviary so you can lock them out while you work in the loft (you probably planned to do that.) Have fun!
A giant breeder box haha. I realized once it was together that it was too big. But the birds already jumped in it so I'll leave it for now until I can make another smaller one. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably go with lattice or something. Yes I plan to make some doors on the aviary for that exact reason. Now that it's operational I can go in and do the fine tuning.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
A giant breeder box haha. I realized once it was together that it was too big. But the birds already jumped in it so I'll leave it for now until I can make another smaller one. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably go with lattice or something. Yes I plan to make some doors on the aviary for that exact reason. Now that it's operational I can go in and do the fine tuning.
That's funny! Trial and error. Figured it was something like that. Loft looks really good though. You are doing a great job.:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.