Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here & new to pigeons in my daily life, since a pair decided my 3rd floor apt balcony seemed like the best place to build their nest, under a plant stand. I've enjoyed watching this process from the beginning & to see the eggs hatch & the babies grow. They hatched less than 3 weeks ago. Everyone seemed happy, until today...I heard a very scared sound from the babies, quite different from the feeding noises...looked out to find an unfamiliar pigeon standing ON the babies & tearing out tiny feathers from a wing & pecking at another wing...2 other unfamiliar pigeons stood by.
After shooing them away & calming down the babies, I see that it has happened before, as there is a small bald spot on the smaller baby's wing...missing maybe 6 feathers, only 2 were plucked today. The bigger baby's wing seems to be damaged, sticking up higher, maybe just sore from the attack not broken.
What do I do to discourage this behaviour?
I have a cat, bringing them inside is not the best option, but not out of the question. Any advice?
From what I've read, they have about 2-3 more weeks before they're ready for flight...?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Welcome to PT and thank you for letting the little baby guests to use your balcony as their home.
All you can do for the babies wounds is spray with Saline water.
The only option you have is to soo away anytime you see the new pigeons coming. They will learn that it's not safe and they are not welcomed. Also what you can do is put some boxes they can hide behind them or low shelves they can go underneath until the new pigeons leave.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your welcome & response. All seem to be doing well right now. The bully pigeons have not returned that I have seen. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts