Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to start a white pigeon release business and my city's ordinance
states:

"Sec. 6-8. - Keeping of wild animals or unconfined pigeons regulated.
(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to maintain any nondomestic animal or
animals ferae naturae of any type whatsoever within the city limits, except as
herein provided. The term ferae naturae shall mean animals which, by nature, are
wild, as opposed to those animals which are naturally tame. It shall also be
unlawful to maintain pigeons within the city limits which are at large and not
under the control of the owner."

Realizing I could ask the city how this is interpreted, I do not want to "flag"
my intent. My neighbors have no problem with my business and I live on 2.5
acres.

Has anyone had an interpretation with their city as to "under control"?

·
Registered
478 Posts
The way I understand this is that you can have the birds as long as they are in a loft, you just can't have them "running wild" and not confined most of the time. The tricky part that I see is that they have to be under your control. Once you have them where they fly/exercise and then trap right in you will be safe.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I would say if you can call them in they are under control. I would just check to see if you are releasing them from a location and they are homing if they would have a problem. But I would think if they are trapping you should be ok. I would check as they may give you a little room as a small business

·
Registered
579 Posts
Seeing as you live on 2.5 acres, and your neighbors are good with it chances are slim to none. The way most governmental agencies are now a days they do not have the manpower to go hunt for pigeon fanciers. It really takes a complaint and someone who keeps complaining. Look at my profile at the size of my yard and I live in a very residential neighborhood. My neighbors don't mind them a bit, especially after I educated them a little. You should be just fine. Start small first that way it's not a nightmare to get rid of birds or tear down a giant loft. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
When you say Pigeon Release Business I assume you mean they (and you) would be rented for events, you would bring them there and release them on-site, and they would then home back to your loft....yes ?

If so, I would say there is a strong argument to be made (if you ever needed to make it) that homing pigeons are under the control of the owner and NOT 'at large'.

I think that interpretation is legally defensible to say the least.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Mikeg you are very correct about his immediate area and the manpower not there to hunt anybody down. The problem being is the release away from the area. Nosy pain in the arse's that are around the release area may turn him in. So in the home area you should be fine I would worry about the area away and the town interpretation of the ordinance. At the moment of the release you may not be in control until they make it to the home area(pigeons do get lost). Sorry just playing devils advocate so that you dont lose the pigeons and the business later on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts