Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male pigeon named "Mr. Peepers" that I've had as an indoor pet for 13 years. I rescued him after he fell out of his nest which was located high in an empty New Orleans building and I raised him myself. He was only a few days old. Since he imprinted on me, he could not be released. I always wanted to get him a friend but didn't have the space to house a second pigeon until recently. We have now moved into a larger home and I am interested in expanding Peepers enclosure so he can have some company. I'm not interested in breeding or keeping an outdoor loft (I don't believe it would be allowed in my neighborhood anyway). I'm located in Houston, TX. Peepers is a healthy male but over the last several years he has become more aggressive and territorial when it comes to his space. He's not crazy about being held and isn't particularly social. Can anyone give me some advice on whether or not I should try to introduce another bird? If so, male or female? Would a friend improve his quality of life or just irritate him more at this point? I was planning to buy a double flight cage with a divider so he could have more room and get used to having a friend. I also have no idea where and how to find a bird. There don't seem to be any rescues in my area.
Thanks for any advice.
Tracy

·
Registered
727 Posts
A friend would definitely improve his quality of life. I would get a hen. You only need to get a couple of wooden eggs to put under her if you don't want any young.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He could have used a companion 13 years ago, but now he is an older bird and probably wouldn't appreciate a new bird in his territory. Also, he probably just has maybe a few years left, so the other bird would then be left alone. I wouldn't add a companion at this point. Do you let him out to fly inside the house. They do need exercise and socialization time out of cage daily to be happy. He probably doesn't even realize that he is a pigeon by this time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
adding companion?

I forgot to add, if I decide to get another bird to keep Peepers company, I would of course want another senior bird to rescue that is not bonded. I realize adopting a younger bird would not be the way to go...surely there are rescue organizations that have single seniors in need of a home?

Tracy

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I forgot to add, if I decide to get another bird to keep Peepers company, I would of course want another senior bird to rescue that is not bonded. I realize adopting a younger bird would not be the way to go...surely there are rescue organizations that have single seniors in need of a home?

Tracy

That is a possibility. I don't know. But often when pigeons have been lone birds for that long, they now don't like sharing their space, and many are not aware that they are pigeons. If they haven't been with other pigeons, they have no idea.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
There are lots of rescued pigeons in need of great homes. We had a rescued feral female for eight years who considered herself a person. We have four females now who seem happy and bonded in same sex pairs. Maybe you can try Mr. Peepers with a friend...but would put the cages side by side until they know each other. Do you know of any rescue organizations near you preferably one who could give you a "rent to own" pigeon so so speak so you can see how Mr. Peepers reacts? If you have had him eighteen years a friend isn't as important though because he is bonded to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts